Old 08-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #15
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
In answer to the question about the turning radius -- I believe the installation will reduce turning radius somewhat, but probably only when backing up. It appears that I will lose the last foot of distance as the rear bumper and the trailer hitch/generator carrier come together while backing up. For me this is usually the place where I need to pull ahead and streighten out anyway. I do plan to add a marker, maybe a flag, to the front corners of the carrier so I can watch their position while turning. This is the one area I have some concerns about and will post if there are any problems.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
hooking up

Thank you grizzy for the answers and the great pictures.

We will do anything for our pets won't we?

They are special people for sure.

TNSue

Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
The carrier I added for the generators does complicate hitching and unhitching slightly, but only slightly. There are a few extra things I have to do that I didn't before I added the carrier:

1. unlock the generator padlock and move the generator about a few inches over on the edge of the carrier.

2. use a pry bar (prying against the top of the angle iron next to the WD Bracket) to raise the Weight Distribution bracket (with the chain attached) up a couple of inches. Use the normal piece of pipe to raise the WD bracket the rest of the way into position.

3. move the generator back and lock it up.

It adds two or three minutes to the hitch/unhitch process but it was a compromise I was willing to live with. We travel with our pets and live in the Southwest (Arizona). If we want to stop anywhere while driving or go anywhere when are camping without hookups we need to be able to run the AC. This lets us do just that without worrying about having our generators stolen. Plus we don't have to carry the generators inside the vehicle taking up space and unload them when we want to use them.

I hope this answers the questions. If anyone needs it I can post pictures of the process.
I too would like the convienience of stopping while driving and using two honda's like Grizzy's setup.

I have a 1972 27' and wonder if anyone else has a simliar setup on a older trailer. I also wonder about the turning radius.

How about the extra 100 lbs on the tongue? Probably won't be a problem for me as my TV is a 2003 2500 Savanah van.

I would appreciate any other pictures or thoughts on Generator mounts.

Steve
Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
I too would like the convienience of stopping while driving and using two honda's like Grizzy's setup.

I have a 1972 27' and wonder if anyone else has a simliar setup on a older trailer. I also wonder about the turning radius.

How about the extra 100 lbs on the tongue? Probably won't be a problem for me as my TV is a 2003 2500 Savanah van.

I would appreciate any other pictures or thoughts on Generator mounts.

Steve
Grizzy,

any updates on the turning radius of your trailer with Generators mounted?
Anyone else have thoughts or experience with generators mounted here?

Steve
Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Grizz,

I like your set up.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I just went out to Wise Sales and sure enough, best price ($869), free shipping, and no tax. One EU2000 on the way! See link in the third or fourth post.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
How about wiring, I was considering this setup and then running power from the generators to the rear of the trailer to plug in.

What gauge wire should I use 12, 10. If I run under the belly pan should I use plastic or metal conduit.

Steve
Old 07-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
On my Bambi the standard Trailer plug/cord reaches the Parallel adapter -- all I have to do is plug it in and stat them up.

Since these pictures were taken I've added an Aluminum "wind breaker" for each generator. They cover the front, both sides, and the top, just enough to keep water from causing problems while driving in the rain. The "Wind Breakers" are hinged on the outside of the carrier with a latch in the front of the carrier to keep them in place. The cloth covers were destroyed by wind buffeting on each long trip. The aluminum "Wind Breakers" seemed to work great on our last trip. By the way, I also put a plug in each muffler to keep water out of the cylinders. Next time I get the Bambi out I'll take more pix
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
Grizzy,

any updates on the turning radius of your trailer with Generators mounted?
Anyone else have thoughts or experience with generators mounted here?

Steve
So far so good -- I haven't had a run in yet, after traveling and trailering around 15,000. However, I am careful. The flags proved not to be that useful so just erring on the side of caution when turning/backing seems to be doing the job. I'm not sure how this would translate to other tow vehicles but seems to work with the Avalanche
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
You have a slick looking operation, a good piece of engineering. If you find that there is a noise transfer from the frame holding the generator to the trailer frame you might consider sound isolation by putting a piece of rubber between the clamps and the frame as well as some rubber under the feet of the generator for sound dampening. One of the best looking "after market" installations I have seen in awhile. Its also condusive to using the propane supply for the generators.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
So far so good -- I haven't had a run in yet, after traveling and trailering around 15,000. However, I am careful.
With the added weight placed on the A-frame, in time you more than likely will experience front end damage, such as fatigue cracks, shearing of rivets, and destroying the metal frames around the front window.

Andy
Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #26
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
With the added weight placed on the A-frame, in time you more than likely will experience front end damage, such as fatigue cracks, shearing of rivets, and destroying the metal frames around the front window.

Andy
I never carry more than a few gallons of fresh water when we travel -- if i need fresh water I fill when we get there. I figure I'm saving about 200# in water weight on the front and adding 100# of generator stuff -- do you think this will still be a problem? Are the safety margins built into the Airstream really that small?
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Any photos of your "aluminum windbreakers"?

I agree with the rest of the folks, super neat install!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
That's silly. 100#'s fatiguing the A frame. You should call an engineer at Airstream. I'm sure he'll tell you it's fine. Especially if you travel with empty fresh water tanks.

"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote