Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #1

los angeles , California
Honda eu2000i problem

Hi,

I have a Honda eu2000 that was working fine last year. I didn't use it for maybe 6 months and when I started it, it runs with the chock on at low (or what you will consider normal) RPM. When I put the chock back (normal run) in runs in very high rpm.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Mike
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Anchorage , Alaska
The closed position (choke lever to the right) will enrich the mixture for cold starting. Is it possible you are operating thinking the positions are opposite of this?
mtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Don't quite understand how high it is running . Did you try the eco switch to see if it slows down ? You might want to take it to a repair shop .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Like what mtndog said and woodfox45 said.

Now, if you are having to keep the choke on just to keep it running, that's a whole different problem and could very well be where you let the gas set in it, being CA has 50 million different gas blends depending on the day it is used(don't ask me why, nor do I care to discuss)it could have screwed up the jets in the carb, some gas turned to varish, etc... and will require cleaning the carb.

If possible, only run straight gas and not the crap people put in their cars for the most part that comes from corn and you'll be far better off.

Enjoy,
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You will have to remove the carb and clean it and put in a new pilot jet.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
I will guess the EU2000i runs "smoother" with the Choke ON, is that right? Does it run a little rough with the Choke OFF?

If so, these are classic symptoms of a partially clogged main jet or nozzle inside the carburetor. Sometimes, it may be cleared with the addition of a fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam. If more severely clogged, a disassembly, removal of the jet and nozzle and complete cleaning may be necessary. Not a difficult DIY repair, and be sure to use a good quality spray carb cleaner and compressed air for best results.

Here's a nicely documented thread that describes the process, FYI:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

You may also want your local Honda dealer to inspect and evaluate the unit too; here's a link to find one in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ever since we had a similar problem with a much bigger home generator, we:
1. Close the fuel valve to the carburetor and let Jenny run until she shuts down due to lack of fuel.
2. Only use pure gasoline from our local grange
3. Add sea foam gas stabilizer to the fuel tank, especially if we have to break rule #2

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Carb is plugged up with crud. You can try to put carb cleaner in the fuel, run it for a while and see if it un plugs.
Unless you are experienced, it is unwise to take the carb apart because of the small parts and passages. Take it to an experienced small engine mechanic. For an expert, repair is fast and easy.
Next time you plan to store the generator run it out of fuel and drain the float bowl of the carb. There is a screw at the bottom of the float bowl, unscrew it and the remaining fuel will run out through the hose through the bottom of the generator.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
To run fuel out (since the knob turns off ignition and closes fuel valve), remove the side panel and locate the white connector to the right bottom of the opening. (It has wires that run to the shutoff valve) Disconnect the white connector and shut off the fuel valve. Engine will continue to run until fuel is out of carb and line up to valve. Re install the connector and drain the little bit of fuel left in the bowl by loosening the drain screw.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
There is a very good YouTube video on how to clean the carb on the EU2000. They aren't really that complex. Get a can of spray carb cleaner first.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
I will guess the EU2000i runs "smoother" with the Choke ON, is that right? Does it run a little rough with the Choke OFF?

If so, these are classic symptoms of a partially clogged main jet or nozzle inside the carburetor. Sometimes, it may be cleared with the addition of a fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam. If more severely clogged, a disassembly, removal of the jet and nozzle and complete cleaning may be necessary. Not a difficult DIY repair, and be sure to use a good quality spray carb cleaner and compressed air for best results.

Here's a nicely documented thread that describes the process, FYI:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

You may also want your local Honda dealer to inspect and evaluate the unit too; here's a link to find one in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

I don't mix up the chock on/off position for sure. I put chock into "ON" (close the air into the carb) start the genset and wait a minute to heat up. I then close the chock (to run lean) and the Honda rev the rpm real high. the eco switch seems to do NOTHING.

Clean the crab? or is this an electronic problem?
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingover View Post
I then close the chock (to run lean) and the Honda rev the rpm real high. the eco switch seems to do NOTHING.

Okay, that does not sound like a choke/carb problem. It does sound like an issue with the Eco-Throttle.

Honda issued a Service Bulletin for an issue with the throttle control motor back in 2010; the internal gears could fail, and a new-style motor was developed. I've asked the engineer for a serial number range, but for now, I can say the old-style motor had a yellow/orange label on top, while the new-style is white.

FYI, if there is any factory warranty remaining on the unit, and this indeed is the problem, it will probably be covered. If you'll share the serial number of your EU2 with me, I can tell you if there is any warranty remaining on it.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Hi,

I have a Honda eu2000 that was working fine last year. I didn't use it for maybe 6 months and when I started it, it runs with the chock on at low (or what you will consider normal) RPM. When I put the chock back (normal run) in runs in very high rpm.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Mike
Quote:
I don't mix up the chock on/off position for sure. I put chock into "ON" (close the air into the carb) start the genset and wait a minute to heat up. I then close the chock (to run lean) and the Honda rev the rpm real high. the eco switch seems to do NOTHING.

Sorry I didn't read the last sentence, I thought it didn't rev up when your choke was off. Yes its electrical, maybe just the switch. Your eco switch isn't working for some reason.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote