Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Honda eu2000i Conversion to Propane

All,

I went through the process of converting my Honda eu2000i generator to propane tonight and thought some folks would like photos.

Forgive the blog link, it's still a draft, but a convenient place to post this sort of thing:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....un-on-propane/

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Well done and thanks for sharing. This kit is in my future.

From your pics, the propane now hooks to the old gas tank cap?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad118 View Post
Well done and thanks for sharing. This kit is in my future.

From your pics, the propane now hooks to the old gas tank cap?

Yup...Same spot as where the gas cap used to be...

Old 02-11-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
How much did the conversion cost you ? I have 2 Hondas and thing of the same thing .
Les Grace
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Nice job. I've changed the screw out (in the carburetor) in my eu2000 for running at higher altitudes. Is there an adjustment for propane when running at higher altitudes?
Thanks for sharing this.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2004 22' International CCD
Cleveland , Oklahoma
Nice conversion! I really like the idea of running on propane. I've been researching generators a lot lately, and found what appears to be a nice option (at least for me). There's a 3000w Champion Dual-Fuel inverter model for around $1000. Reviews are very complimentary. Hard to find fault with Honda though...decisions, decisions.
MySovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I do not understand the reasoning???
These things sip gas!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
FlamingoRoadTrip

2007 34' Classic S/O
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to flamingoroad
I made the decision to go with propane because I don't want a can of volatile explosive liquid (gasoline) sitting in the back of my truck. Gas with ethanol mixed in has a very short shelf-life, even with stabilizer added. It is hydrophilic (attracts water). Gas without ethanol is better but, hard to find. Gas can/does gum up the carburetor if it sits for too long; propane evaporates with no residue. Propane has a very long shelf-life, can be transported with more safety, and I can replenish the generator fuel when I fill the rig tanks. One fuel; simpler and safer. Just my 2-cents.
2015 Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 Diesel
flamingoroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . ditto Flamingoroad. . . same reasoning for me & very happy with the ones from Genconnectx. . . regards, Craig
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Holmen , Wisconsin
Why convert to propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
All,

I went through the process of converting my Honda eu2000i generator to propane tonight and thought some folks would like photos.

Forgive the blog link, it's still a draft, but a convenient place to post this sort of thing:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....un-on-propane/

I am like the last respondent - why change to propane?? I have used my Honda 2000 for 7 years. My only maintenance -- change the oil once a year. Most of the time it starts off with one pull of the starter rope. The Honda is VERY RELIABLE!! So why make this change to propane -- as the other reader noted - the Honda takes a minimal amount of fuel - and the cubic feet ( volume) of space required for propane would probably be more than required for gasoline. Further, I don't have to look very far to find a gasoline station, but it takes some looking to find a propane refill station. Please explain the logic on the change to propane. Is propane you single only required energy source -- i.e. your tow vehicle, refrigerator, furnace, and now emergency generator all use propane?
firman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

I do not understand the reasoning???
These things sip gas!!

Or if you pull with a Suburban and have no good place to carry gas.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Nice job. I've changed the screw out (in the carburetor) in my eu2000 for running at higher altitudes. Is there an adjustment for propane when running at higher altitudes?
Thanks for sharing this.
GennConnex can provide alternative parts (for free) if you want to run the genny above 5000 feet.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoroad View Post
I made the decision to go with propane because I don't want a can of volatile explosive liquid (gasoline) sitting in the back of my truck. Gas with ethanol mixed in has a very short shelf-life, even with stabilizer added. It is hydrophilic (attracts water). Gas without ethanol is better but, hard to find. Gas can/does gum up the carburetor if it sits for too long; propane evaporates with no residue. Propane has a very long shelf-life, can be transported with more safety, and I can replenish the generator fuel when I fill the rig tanks. One fuel; simpler and safer. Just my 2-cents.
This is my reasoning too. Just way simpler to manage and maintain, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
How much did the conversion cost you ? I have 2 Hondas and thing of the same thing .
Les Grace
The kit is on sale right now for $349. Usually $399. I think every other kit available is cheaper than the one I chose, but none of them install as cleanly.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I updated the posting to include a little more information about alternative kits, my fancy magnetic oil dipstick, and my impressions of how loud the unit is (it's not!).

Old 02-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
To me propane means my new Grand Cherokee does not have to smell like gasoline and my 9 year old does not have ride breathing in gasoline vapors. If your happy with gas and it works for you then use gas.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Say what you want (or imagine) about gasohol, but that's all I use in my generator. If you put a stabilizer in the fuel, it will keep for over a year. I've done this for the past 7 years in the generator for our home, with no problems. Once a year, I drain it, and run it in the lawn mower for the summer. I run the generator for an with the fresh fuel, and I'm good to go.....sometimes it's better to find out how something works, than to just blindly believe what the crowd says....
For whatever it's worth,
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
There are pros and cons to each.

The ordinary gasoline available at stations is convenient, but has problems with long storage, carburetor damage from storage, and volatility (do NOT carry this stuff inside the TV with you and your kids. An accident makes you a FLAMING HUMAN BOMB when the gasoline spills in the accident.)
OUTSIDE storage is less a problem. Put it on the trailer A-frame/tongue, or in the pickup bed.... same place you'd carry PROPANE...because Propane should also NEVER be carried inside the passenger compartment. A rupture will poison you quickly and a wreck can make another BOMB. BOTH products should only be carried externally.

Propane is better for long-term life of the engine because it burns cleaner.
But it's less convenient, and sometimes troublesome to acquire. The ordinary driver is not prepared or qualified to re-fill the tank. Propane stations are not open at the same hours or as convenient as gasoline stations....

...AND...
.... When you are way out in the boonies and your TV is running LOW on gas.... that 5-gallon can of generator gasoline in the back of the truck, etc ., can get you by for another 75 miles or so!

I consider propane better for stationary generators such as for the whole house. But my travelling generator is gasoline and will stay that way.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:

When comparing "explosive liquids", have you ever considered the explosive potential of LP gas? It might be something for you to check out...

For whatever it's worth

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
When comparing "explosive liquids", have you ever considered the explosive potential of LP gas? It might be something for you to check out...

For whatever it's worth

Larry
Most of us are allready carrying two cylinders of it
For whatever it's worth.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote