Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I have installed the tri fuel conversion from US Carb two years ago. I can chose to use whatever fuel I have available. When I have the trailer just hook up to the outside connection. If I want to power it and am low on propane I can use gasoline or in the event of a power outage at home I can use natural gas and keep my freezer running.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #22
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
GennConnex can provide alternative parts (for free) if you want to run the genny above 5000 feet.
Thanks. Right now 90% of our camping is above 6000. Once retired though, that may change.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
{Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
When comparing "explosive liquids", have you ever considered the explosive potential of LP gas? It might be something for you to check out...

For whatever it's worth

Larry}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Most of us are allready carrying two cylinders of it
For whatever it's worth.

Excellent point! I carry one for my Weber grill also...

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Questions for Thiel

I took a look at your website again to review your Genconnex install and thought process.

I'm installing my Easy Start this weekend, and next up is propane conversion for my Honda EU2000i. Couple questions for you.

1. The Genconnex is a clean internal install, and you mentioned you are hooking up to your low pressure port on your trailer. However, the kit comes with a hose and regulator to hook up to a high pressure bbq gas cylinder. Do they also provide a hose and fittings without a regulator that allows you to hook up to your low pressure port, or did you have to build one?

2. What made you decide on the $349 Genconnex kit that limits you to propane, when the $269 Hutch Mountain kit is also quite a clean install, but also leaves the option for gasoline?

Ultimately I want to have propane connections that I can run either from the low pressure port or a 20# cylinder, and trying to decide also if the option for gasoline is important to me. For $90 less, I'm thinking that might be the option I choose.

Trying to make a decision and I greatly value your thoughts on this (and your generosity to share all your install instructions...very helpful!)
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plano , Texas
Quote:
I updated the posting to include a little more information about alternative kits, my fancy magnetic oil dipstick, and my impressions of how loud the unit is (it's not!).
Very Nice write-up and blog posting.. now all I need to master is WDHs and TV (diesel or gas)
txnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

1. The Genconnex is a clean internal install, and you mentioned you are hooking up to your low pressure port on your trailer. However, the kit comes with a hose and regulator to hook up to a high pressure bbq gas cylinder. Do they also provide a hose and fittings without a regulator that allows you to hook up to your low pressure port, or did you have to build one?

2. What made you decide on the $349 Genconnex kit that limits you to propane, when the $269 Hutch Mountain kit is also quite a clean install, but also leaves the option for gasoline?

1) I had to build the hose to go directly to the low pressure port on my trailer. I documented that process with necessary parts here:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....y-rvs-lp-port/

2) For me, the presence of the HUGE external regulator required to run the Hutch mountain kit was a no go. While what's sticking out of the genny looks the same with the Hutch kit, it requires a huge external component that GennexConnect has incorporated inside the Honda case itself.

As for the need to go with gasoline, I just didn't feel I needed that complexity: if I was in a situation where I would run out and find gasoline since I was out of propane, it would be nearly as easy (if not easier) to just pick up more propane. I wanted to choose a single technology and build systems and habits around it.

Reasons for propane? No loss in power. Engine runs cleaner with far far less maintenance. Fuel doesn't go bad. Already carrying it. Didn't want to have a gas can rattling around. Running the genny on gas requires a refill every so often as well but with propane, that interval is way less frequent. etc.

I hope that helps!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
As far as propane being explosive. It is rated safer by the DOT. Propane dissipates when a leak occurs. It also has a bit less BTU,s therefore a tad bit less heat when it burns. Either fuel needs to be cared for in a safe manner. Fear of propane is often more than it deserves.
Vagabond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Do they also provide a hose and fittings without a regulator that allows you to hook up to your low pressure port, or did you have to make one?

Genconnex sells this 12' hose that lets you run your gen directly from the low pressure port. $50 on their website. Works well. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5768.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	283490
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
... if I was in a situation where I would run out and find gasoline since I was out of propane, it would be nearly as easy (if not easier) to just pick up more propane. ...
Reasons for propane? No loss in power. ...

I don't believe propane availability is anywhere NEAR as prolific as gasoline anywhere in the lower 48. And the second comment is simply incorrect. You can't have it both ways.... propane has less BTUs and therefore is a loss of engine power output, even more noticeable at altitude.

But it's correct to say that the engine will run cleaner and the closed-tank of an LP system is less likely to have a spill, IMO.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
As someone that lives at 8,080 ft. I am very interested in elevation and its relationship to power. Propane, because of the nature of how it is delivered adjusts for elevation. Gasoline does if the engine is fuel injected. True there is less BTU's in Propane, (less hear) regardless of elevation, however I believe at high elevation I would rather run a small engine with propane. At least it would run. Our small engines up here do have problems. With modern design etc. it is not as bad as one would think though. It comes down to availability and personal choice
Vagabond Bob
Vagabond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Bob View Post
As someone that lives at 8,080 ft. I am very interested in elevation and its relationship to power. Propane, because of the nature of how it is delivered adjusts for elevation. Gasoline does if the engine is fuel injected. True there is less BTU's in Propane, (less hear) regardless of elevation, however I believe at high elevation I would rather run a small engine with propane. At least it would run. Our small engines up here do have problems. With modern design etc. it is not as bad as one would think though. It comes down to availability and personal choice
Vagabond Bob
I ordered the Genconnex kit and posed a question to them. I live at 6,000 feet, but will be doing a lot of boondocking in southern Utah desert regions, 4,000 feet and under. But I can also see myself up at 8,000 feet at times. I had read that they provide a different orifice for elevations above 5,000 feet. At hose elevations, I won't need my AC, but just charging power. I just wanted to be sure that the generator would at least run at high elevations.

Gennconex responded as follows:

'I have also included a note to send you the free orifice kit for high altitude. It should be changed out if you’re above 5-6k or you may not get enough power output from the generator to run you’re a/c. Generator power (all versions) is reduced by about 2% per 1000ft above sea level but is even worse if you don’t change to the correct fuel orifice. Effectively, that number can double because it’s not only thinner air but not properly balanced with the fuel. Your 2000Watt peak power could be as low as 1300-1400Watts at 7-8k.'

Based on their advice, I'll hang on to the high elevation orifice in case ever needed, but it sounds like with a majority of my sub 5000 ft camping, and occassional higher elevation camping, I'll be fine without using the high elevation orifice, as the Honda will run at high elevations, but just at a diminished output, but not diminished enough to impact me too badly, since I won't be running AC. Or I'll see how involved it is to change it, and if not too complicated, change it out for high elevation use.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #32
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I don't believe propane availability is anywhere NEAR as prolific as gasoline anywhere in the lower 48. And the second comment is simply incorrect. You can't have it both ways.... propane has less BTUs and therefore is a loss of engine power output, even more noticeable at altitude.

But it's correct to say that the engine will run cleaner and the closed-tank of an LP system is less likely to have a spill, IMO.
Yes... I agree with you that generally speaking gasoline is more accessible... but my comment was more specific to how/where I camp.

Propane suffers a small loss in power (~2%) unless you're at altitude. Again, I live in New England, so that means it's pretty much a non-issue for me.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or I can just enjoy the Genconnex-modded propane-fired generator I own and love. I choose the latter. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or I can just enjoy the Genconnex-modded propane-fired generator I own and love. I choose the latter. [emoji6]
X2

You can lead 'em but you can't make 'em.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I went with the genconnex with the clean install vs the HM version. Mainly because I intend to hook up to my low pressure port on my AS. It looks like to do that with the HM you'd have to have some hardware/regs in line on the hose. Not a big deal to some I just liked the clean look. Got my hose from GC and it works great. I do not intend to run gasoline through it so it's a good setup for me. Getting case back together was a little tedious, for me but all is well.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #36
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I went with the genconnex with the clean install vs the HM version. Mainly because I intend to hook up to my low pressure port on my AS. It looks like to do that with the HM you'd have to have some hardware/regs in line on the hose. Not a big deal to some I just liked the clean look. Got my hose from GC and it works great. I do not intend to run gasoline through it so it's a good setup for me. Getting case back together was a little tedious, for me but all is well.
Yep, I ordered the genconnex after really studying it compared to Hutch Mountain. HM uses a regulator and the larger regulator-like unit on the end of the hose that connects to a large propane bottle. But to connect to the LP port, it obviously would require a different hose that eliminates the smaller regulator but still includes the larger regulator-looking thing (which is inside the case on the genconnex setup.)

In the end I realized that genconnex was the way to go for me despite losing the option of gasoline. I'd rather carry a 20# propane cylinder in the pickup bed instead of 5 gallons of gasoline. So I can use the supplied hose to hook to that, or just use the LP port with the other hose if desired.

I tend to make things more complicated than necessary sometimes but thinking it through does have its benefits in the end.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went with the GenConnex EU2000 last year with a 20lb bottle. Used it for our trip to Glacier last year and despite using it a few hours per day and sharing it with my brother in law's trailer to charge up the batteries during generator times I still have more than 50% or the bottle judging its weight. Runs on Eco mode when just hooked up for charging the batteries.

Don't miss having to carry gasoline for the generator. No smell, don't have to worry about draining fuel to store etc.

Kelvin

Kelvin
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Thanks to OP for posting this. I've had my Honda for almost a year now and the Genconnex kit for a few months. Keeping trying to find time to do the conversion and plan to do so soon.

That said, the length of time that I've had the generator and not actually operated it is a primary reason for not going with gasoline. I'd end up letting it sit idle for a really long time between uses. Plus, I live in a high-rise building. No private garage space to speak of and only a balcony so nowhere to store gasoline. The propane conversion helps quite a bit. I intend to just use the tanks on the AS and it's primarily for charging the batteries when boondocking.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Hope this helps someone with a new h2000. I fired up my new Honda that I had converted a few weeks ago and it ran good while I had it plugged into AS. After checking things out, about 15minutes I came out and within a few minutes the gen started gasping for breath. It would die if set to Eco and still surged on normal. Didn't know what I could have done wrong installing conversion kit so I took it apart again to check everything out. Didn't see anything obvious so put it back together and had same thing. I called GC and talked with tech, who said it sounded like a bad spark plug. I thought, hmmm never heard of that but I wanted to rule it in or out. I just happened to have a new plug so installed and started it up, wow! Surge was gone. Seems there are some plugs in a bad lot that run for a few minutes and then break down causing the symptoms I had. All seems well for now.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Ps. I did check to ensure I had Lp, even connected to another, full bottle directly to make sure that wasn't problem.