Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #21
ETA
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
As an experiment, try running with just the generator into which the trailer is plugged on normal mode (not ECO) then try both. That would tell you if it is a problem related to the delay in reaching full power output.

I think there was a design change in the inverter system between my trailer (2014 model year) and yours, so this may not apply to you, however... in my trailer the inverter should not be in use when on shore power or generators. It makes 120v power from the 12v system when there is no external power source. With the generators running the TV (I assume you were referring to television and not tow vehicle!) should be powered directly through the 120 volt system. On our 2014 I would turn off the inverter and move the plugs for any devices I was powering with it from the inverter-driven outlets to the direct 120v shore power connected outlets. I also use a power monitor with my generators just as with strange campground power to make sure I protect devices in the trailer in the event I overtax the generators and cause a voltage drop.
Thank you for your input.
Yes it was the television not the tow vehicle.

I will test without ECO mode and see what happens.

What do you use for a power monitor?

Thanks again.
Ed
ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If I had that setup, I'd seriously consider the remote tank.
It holds 6 gallons, and "Y's" to feed into both gas caps.
Because the Honda 2000 has a fuel pump, it can pump from an external tank. I understand the Honda has to have some gas in it.
Doesn't work with the EU3000 which is gravity fed.
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/...FUVXDQoddIYNKw
Back when I used outboard tanks on a boat, they never sealed as well as I liked. So it will smell and possibly drip at the connections.
I liked the old fashioned 6 gal metal gas tanks, but they disappeared with the Passenger Pigeons, I guess.
stay w/ gas and get X tank like Molly said.........
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Hey, ETA... I have used two different power monitors. The Camco worked great but broke after about 18 months (with a one year warranty). Now I've got a Progressive EMS-PT30X. So far, so good. I like the portable type but Progressive (and maybe others) also make units that can be permanently wired into the trailer if that's your preference. The Camco saved me a couple of times from miswired Campground power pedestals (don't assume that if it's old then certainly prior campers have worked out the kinks!) and from overloading my own generators (no... two Honda 2000s will not power the AC, converter, microwave and hairdryer all at the same time without dropping voltage to a dangerously low level).
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #24
ETA
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Hey, ETA... I have used two different power monitors. The Camco worked great but broke after about 18 months (with a one year warranty). Now I've got a Progressive EMS-PT30X. So far, so good. I like the portable type but Progressive (and maybe others) also make units that can be permanently wired into the trailer if that's your preference. The Camco saved me a couple of times from miswired Campground power pedestals (don't assume that if it's old then certainly prior campers have worked out the kinks!) and from overloading my own generators (no... two Honda 2000s will not power the AC, converter, microwave and hairdryer all at the same time without dropping voltage to a dangerously low level).
Thank you GammaDog. I need to invest in one.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETA View Post
The problem i experienced was when the AC turned on it reset the inverter outlets on the TV and in back bed area at least. The AC would turn on in an "idle" mode and then a second or two later would go to full power and "trip" those outlets.
two Honda 2000's in parallel should run just about everything. Certainly one air conditioner.
So, I'll throw this idea out there. Bonded Neutral.
Generators generally are ungrounded. Surge protectors and GCFI circuits like to see a ground the same potential as the neutral.
Is it possible the GCFI circuits tripped because they don't see a ground? Shore power has the neutral tied to ground in the main breaker panel.
The work around is to make a "cheater" plug which is nothing more that a male Edison plug (15 amp) with a short jumper between the neutral and the ground. You plug it into any unused 120vac outlet on the generator and it tricks the unit into thinking it has a ground.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I believe the issue is the ECO mode. In ECO mode the generators do not spool up fast enough to support the AC startup transient. The voltage sags and that caused the resets.

The best solution, in my opinion, is to add a EasyStart to the AC unit. I had one put on my AC at Salem. A single 2000i will start and run my 13,500 BTU AC unit while running on propane.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #27
ETA
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Glenville , New York
Thank you Mollys Dad and Al and Misty for the info.

I think it may be the ECO too. I will look into instaling the soft start as well. I like using the ECO mode as it sips fuel and not as loud.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Ed
Old 08-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
East Start is a specific version of a soft start and is, in my opinion, more effective than the other soft start devices. They had, and still do, I think, a discount for Airstreamers. Search on here for Easy Start.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Use ‘Airstream’ for the secret word at checkout, or call them and let them know you are an Airstream owner.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
A word to the wise. I installed the EasyStart and it works as advertised. I am very happy with it. My problem is altitude. I live a 5K feet and most of the camping that we do is at or above that level. One Honda 2000 will not run the AC by itself even after re-jetting the carb. I believe that you lose 2% of the power for every 1000 feet in elevation. Propane also will cause a loss of 10%. My two Honda's running at full load in parallel will run for about 4 hours before needing to be refueled.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. Altitude is a serious factor. Re-jetting just lets you get the right fuel/air mixture to run properly at altitude. This does NOT restore power losses due to altitude, as you point out with your experiences.

I went with a Champion 3400 Dual Fuel for that reason. I'm at or above 4500 feet most of the time. Went for the overkill...as usual!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Altitude is a serious factor. Re-jetting just lets you get the right fuel/air mixture to run properly at altitude. This does NOT restore power losses due to altitude, as you point out with your experiences.

I went with a Champion 3400 Dual Fuel for that reason. I'm at or above 4500 feet most of the time. Went for the overkill...as usual!
Have you been able to compare the db, Honda vs. Champion? The price point on the Champion is attractive and also duel fuel out the door.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I went straight to a Champion 3400. Can’t handle the price of a Honda.