Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
Honda EU2000i

Hi there-

Been reading and researching these honda generators for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger on the EU2000i. We recently got clobbered with tornados here in AL and our power was out for 4 days so I decided to go ahead and pick it up. Man, this thing worked AWESOME! Cranked the first time and kept our fridge going, fan, couple lights, charged cell phones, etc. Can't say enough about it other than it was everything we thought it would be and more. My neighbor dropped by and was checking it out and thinking about getting one himself for these kinds of situations. So, I was wondering how I should store this thing now and what what steps I should follow to keep it in good working order for the next time. I hear some folks drain the fuel while others put fuel conditioner in there and run it every couple months or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When the power goes out, it is nice just to pull the rope and get power. In that context, I'd recommend using sta-bil all the time just so the gas is already in it and it will keep the gas from fouling your carb.

Be sure you evaluate your storage area, though. For example, if you have a gas water heater or your furnace in the garage, then I would not want to store the genny anywhere nearby.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I find that fuel stabilizers are pretty good. I've gotten spoiled enough to the stabilizer that I never got around to draining the fuel from my mower at the end of the growing season last year... about 3.5 months later, it started on the second pull (usually it starts on the first.) If you follow the "start monthly" exercise recommendation and let it run for a while, I think it'll do well with fuel stabilizer.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have used StaBil In my fuel supply,that being 2 /5 gallon plastic containers. I treat 5 gallons of gas with 2 oz of StaBil. I have chainsaws that have not been used for several yrs but I am satified if I go an crank on them they will start. I own a small engine shop and clean and rebuild carbs all the time. Most are gummed up from leaving untreated fuel in them when storing. I,myself have not cleaned or overhauled a carb for myself in 25 yrs of using StaBIL. I know I sound like a STABIL Commerical but the stuff works. MIX it only in the supply,DO NOT TRY to ADD it to the fuel tank. GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
When I know I won't be using mine for a while, I just drain the tank then run the gas out. However, I'm not sure this is good enough. On my big 3500 watt (loud) generator I have at the house for hurricanes, I have to drain the pot under the carburetor to really get the gas out. Learned that the hard way from congealed fuel.

On the Honda 2000, READ YOUR MAINTENANCE MANUAL. They call for an oil change every 30 hours. You'll be surprised how fast you can rack up 30 hours while boondocking for a couple of weeks (if that includes TV in the evenings, and lots of computer time.)

Failure to change the oil results in the red oil light coming on, and when you drain it, you find sludge!

But, you're right... great generator!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks for the recommendations, yall. I just talked with a Honda dealer in town and he recommended to NOT drain the existing gas out of the unit. He did say stabil is a great product to use but in the end he said to use the generator frequently to keep the fuel lines clear.
The only thing that kinda bugs me about the unit is the inconvenient oil changing drain. I think I'm going to have to come up with some kind of pvc jack leg setup to drain the oil out. I think they could of come up with something a little more innovative than a angled slide. Really? A slide. That is my only complaint and I'll get over it.
I also want to get some information on running it on propane. That is my ultimate goal and then we're gonna be in boodocking heaven!!! Can you sense my enthusiasm?
Thanks again forum friends!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I intend to convert mine to propane. A Tri-fuel conversion is also an possible (gasoline, natural gas, and LP).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
STABIL, and start it up a run for ten minutes every month or so.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post
On the Honda 2000, READ YOUR MAINTENANCE MANUAL. They call for an oil change every 30 hours.
Reading the EU2000i Owner's manual, maintenance schedule on page 42, it says to change after the first 20 hours, then every 6 months or 100 hours thereafter.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've used our e2000 for years when camping...

1. after initial break in period, I have used synthetic oil with great success - non of those 'sludge' issues...

2. when returning home and storing the unit, I 'now' always drain the fuel from the carb bowl, using the small screw operated valve and drain line that's provided...I didn't always do this, resulting in the evaporated fuel in the bowl - mixed with who-knows-what clogging the jet - a quick removal and cleaning cured the problem - but it could have been avoided by draining the carb before storage...

3. it was suggested by others here that it's better to run 89 octane fuel instead of the minimum 87 grade in these small gas engines - I switched a couple of years ago and believe it helps with the 'start on the first pull' routine...

4. a fuel stabilizer seems like a good choice if you store your unit for extended time periods - I've never used it, and it may have prevented my clogged jet problem, but I also think that draining the carb is an acceptable alternative...

I've nicked named our Honda the 'Red Lion' - it 'roars' when it's called upon to run the microwave, and 'purrs' like a kitten the rest of the time, charging our batteries!

Some products are just plain better than others - this is one of em', IMHO...
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
I may give this a try too. Sounds like a good thing to know how to do. PErhaps there is a youtube instructional out there. I'm a visual person.
Thanks!

"2. when returning home and storing the unit, I 'now' always drain the fuel from the carb bowl, using the small screw operated valve and drain line that's provided...I didn't always do this, resulting in the evaporated fuel in the bowl - mixed with who-knows-what clogging the jet - a quick removal and cleaning cured the problem - but it could have been avoided by draining the carb before storage..."
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
I may give this a try too. Sounds like a good thing to know how to do. PErhaps there is a youtube instructional out there. I'm a visual person.
Thanks!

"2. when returning home and storing the unit, I 'now' always drain the fuel from the carb bowl, using the small screw operated valve and drain line that's provided...I didn't always do this, resulting in the evaporated fuel in the bowl - mixed with who-knows-what clogging the jet - a quick removal and cleaning cured the problem - but it could have been avoided by draining the carb before storage..."
The Mobil1 suggestion is a good one, too. I use it in ours.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Benjo,
My mechanic put us onto a product called Seafoam. We use it on the farm in our seed tender Honda power units, JD lawn mowers,and the ATVs. I have an '88 Yamaha 350 4-wheeler that was difficult to start, especially after sitting 4-5 months in winter. I began using Seafoam in the gas and if the battery is up, it fires immediately now. It is as good as Stabil for us.
Dan
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
Okay, got some good suggestions there. Now I'm onto understanding the eco setting and what that is actually for? Can someone explain this simply?
Thanks