Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Honda EU2000i

I just ordered a Honda EU2000i generator (+ theft-deterrent bracket for the handle and cover) from Mayberry's. I plan to stowe it between the LP gas tanks and the front of the trailer over the batteries while in transit only. Strap it down and lock with a man-sized steel cable and lock. Although I believe I've done my homework, is there any heads up I should be aware of ?

Its use will be primarily to keep the batteries up while boondocking and being able to use the microwave on/off. No need for AC in the fall when we will be boondocking.

Any input will much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
A silver cover for it?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Yep

Yes! And a heavy duty at that!
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
Dumb newbie question. I am intending on purchasing a Honda EU200i for my 22 foot 2005 International..... Is it better to run the generator through the electrical hook up cord and charge the battery that way or purchase the battery charger option? I'm still learning new things about my AS all the time.
Cold Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums! No question is a dumb question.

We use the shore power cord rather than a battery charging cable...that way not only are we charging the battery through the converter, we have AC power inside.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
theft deterrent bracket

What does a theft deterrent for a Honda consist of?

We also purchased our Honda 2000 from Mayberry's. Great deal, good service.

I cable/lock it through handle to back bumper and cover/camo it. Any deterrent is deterrent.

Really, what is actual bracket, I want one.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
See here for the theft-deterrent bracket : Honda generators - Accessories - Mayberry Sales & Service, Inc. It's about 1/3 down the page...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The Honda literature says that the 12 volt output is not regulated, so charging should be monitored. It sounds like the charge rate does not taper off as the battery approaches a full charge like with a regular automotive battery charger.

Just curious, how long does it take a Honda EU2000i to recharge a pair of 12 volt deep cycle RV/marine batteries from one nights use of typical television watching, lighting and the furnace blower motor (in cold weather) using the 12 volt charging cables on the Honda generator, versus using 110 VAC generator power to run the Airstream OEM converter, which I assume would be the same as when connected to normal RV park electrical hookups?

I am also getting ready to buy a generator. Is Mayberry's still the best place for pricing? Are there any group buys planned? Also, has anyone had problems with any particular dealer that should be avoided?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good question...but I presume that charge rate via shore power cord to the converter would depend on what else is consuming power while the generator is working.

I don't know what Mayberry's is...would be interested in knowing. When I last checked with Wisesales on 22 July 10 they were $879.99 with free shipping and no sales tax. Thinking about getting a 2nd one.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I may be wrong but I don't think that cable would be any match for my RIDGED bolt cutters with the 3 ft handles. I never have ran into a cable or padlock HARDENED or other wise that they would not cut. It cut thru grade 8 bolts like butter.
But to stop the average thief from walkin with your genset $35 bucks is a good investment.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I got mine through Wise Sales. The price at the time was good and it showed up on my doorstep in a matter of days. No shipping and no tax. They were great to deal with.

I simply hook mine to the trailer cord for an easy connection. When boondocking we try not to use much in the way of electricity. If I were to watch the TV I would turn on the generator but then I really don't watch much TV when out in the woods.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I may be wrong but I don't think that cable would be any match for my RIDGED bolt cutters with the 3 ft handles. I never have ran into a cable or padlock HARDENED or other wise that they would not cut. It cut thru grade 8 bolts like butter.
But to stop the average thief from walkin with your genset $35 bucks is a good investment.
I think what they are selling is not the cable, but a steel bracket that goes over the plastic handle. Looks like a cable (that you provide) would go thru a hole in the bracket if I am understanding it.

I suppose it provides a little more security, but my first reaction is that I think a would be thief would likely use a hacksaw to cut thru the plastic handle and that same hacksaw would likely cut thru the steel bracket fairly quickly unless it is especially hardened.

We just bought our gennie, and one of the uses I though I might put it too was to give us power for heating when/if we stop at a Flying J overnight on our way south during winter. Our first night's stop, usually in Memphis is still pretty cool!

The more I think about it, I believe that even though I will lock the gennie to the trailer tongue when in use, I will just use it during the evening hours then pack it away and run on batteries overnight to help ensure I still have possession of the generator in the morning.

I could always run it for an hour or so in the morning to charge the batteries back up before departing. We we would be driving all day anyway so teh morning top up may not even be needed.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Wingeezer,
For just a one nights stop or even 2 nights your batteries should be enough to run your furnace fan. In the past, I've run my furnace, water pump, bath room exhaust fan and some lights for overnight stops on the battery power as long as the batteries were in good shape and it wasn't below 15 degrees F. Then they recharge the next day when driving and ready for the next stop.
Just sayin', you might not need to spend the money on a generator and just have a couple of good batteries to run things.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I took the cover off of my Honda generator and cut a piece of rebar to go through the handle and then replaced the cover. Is that totally paranoid or what? (but I bet your bolt cutters won't cut it!)
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
OOps - forgot to express my thoughts. A battery charger will charge your batteries much more efficiently than the charger/converter built into your trailer, assuming it is a good charger. It will taper off when it should and go to trickle when it should. You can also (usually) switch for different type of batteries in case you have AGM's. AGM batteries as well a deep cycle batteries require different charge profiles than regular auto batteries for maximum efficiency and long life. Walmart has 5 stage chargers for less than $50.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Wingeezer,
For just a one nights stop or even 2 nights your batteries should be enough to run your furnace fan. In the past, I've run my furnace, water pump, bath room exhaust fan and some lights for overnight stops on the battery power as long as the batteries were in good shape and it wasn't below 15 degrees F. Then they recharge the next day when driving and ready for the next stop.
Just sayin', you might not need to spend the money on a generator and just have a couple of good batteries to run things.
Interesting info! We have run overnight on our batteries in the past and all has been well in the am - I did however turn the thermostat down into the fifties so the furnace/fan would be running less.

I bought the generator anyway - just seemed like suc h a neat little gadget, and I do love gadgets! Also figured it might come in for other uses - power failures at home & such.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
OOps - forgot to express my thoughts. A battery charger will charge your batteries much more efficiently than the charger/converter built into your trailer, assuming it is a good charger. It will taper off when it should and go to trickle when it should. You can also (usually) switch for different type of batteries in case you have AGM's. AGM batteries as well a deep cycle batteries require different charge profiles than regular auto batteries for maximum efficiency and long life. Walmart has 5 stage chargers for less than $50.
Are you sure about that? I don't know different, but the manual that came with our Parallax charger (2005 AS Classic) gave me the impression that it was an "intelligent" charger and also said that its full output - up to 55amps I think - could be diverted to battery charging if required.

Just wondering. I do have a decent standalone charger at home and had thought about taking it on trips but when I read about the charger that is already built into our converter, I didn't see the advantage.

You do raise a point about AGM batteries though. That is what we have. Wonder if the charger built into the trailer is shortening their life?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
I took the cover off of my Honda generator and cut a piece of rebar to go through the handle and then replaced the cover. Is that totally paranoid or what? (but I bet your bolt cutters won't cut it!)
Smart idea!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Interesting info! We have run overnight on our batteries in the past and all has been well in the am - I did however turn the thermostat down into the fifties so the furnace/fan would be running less.

I bought the generator anyway - just seemed like suc h a neat little gadget, and I do love gadgets! Also figured it might come in for other uses - power failures at home & such.

Brian

Brian, I'm the same way when it comes to gadgets and gizmos. I got to have them, and the more the better.

Hey, did you guys see the cable padlock combo that has a siren built in that sounds off when the cable is cut?
I haven't ordered one yet, but it's on the list. I'm thinking it would work to help catch that guy with the bolt cutters or hacksaw trying to steal your generators.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We've got an automotive battery charger that tapers off as the battery gets full (brand name charger with Sears logo on it), but it only charges at 4-5 amps max. If a battery is pretty low, it can take 24 hours or more to bring it back up to full charge. Also, the battery charger voltage has a lot of noise on it (not usually a big concern if you are only charging a battery and not using the charger output to power DC devices), and I'm pretty sure the voltage is a lot cleaner coming from the converter.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote