Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Update

I received the EU2000i from Mayberrys in three days. The price was $899 plus $35 for the bracket and $18 for the cover. No tax or shipping cost. I checked another source that was $20 cheaper but would not offer the bracket and could not ship to an address different from the billing address. Their loss.

I've tried the generator in all the modes and it works just fine and it is quieter than I had expected. Even quieter in the eco mode. I plugged the AS right into it as it was on shore power, which it was.

The "theft deterrent" bracket is just that: enough material to saw through to slow the bad guys down. It's an 1/8" steel stamped shield that bolts with allen screws over the plastic handle.

As far as where to carry it and how to "secure" it. The attached pics can speak for themselves. The 5/8" cable and a good padlock attached to the A-frame is my best bet for security. If anyone wants to take it and can get by the bracket, the cable, the lock, my dog, and my bullets, they can have it and I wish them well. Like anything else, if someone wants something really bad they will find a way to get it. Fortunately, we have yet to find really bad people in the RV crowd. I'm sure there are some, but haven't found them yet...

2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Looks good Frank, thanks for all the info and pics!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Frank
Looks good mounted like that. Thanks for the pic update. That cover and cable should slow em down till the items in the last picture can arrive on scene.LOL.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry, some dumb questions from someone who doesn't yet own a generator:

Where does everyone stow the generator when you are on the road, in the pickup bed? Or, is that just personal choice?

For convenience, it would be nice to semi-permanently mount it somewhere on the outside of the trailer, but does that just invite thieves?

Also, I assume when boondocking, the generator(s) (while running) are located some distance from the trailer to prevent carbon-monoxide from building up inside? Or, is it safe to mount it/them on the tongue or back bumper (again, while running)?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
No, those aren't dumb questions at all. I usually chain my generator to either the A-frame or a decent sized tree for short trips from the campsite (we prefer boondocking). If we plan on being gone for hours at a time, we bring it with us and chain it up in the bed of our pickup. When running the generator, you want it to be a good distance from the trailer. Winds sometimes don't cooperate and will blow the exhaust towards the trailer, but moving the generator can usually eliminate that problem.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
There is somebody on the forum that posted some pics in the past where he puts his generators in a little pop up tent away from his trailer and keeps his generators in there.
It sounds like a good idea as the tent keeps the gens out of the weather and out of site. I suppose they can still be chained to a near by tree while in the tent.
I have not bought a portable generator(s) yet to try the idea myself, but hope to one of these days.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
And I thougt this was a generator thread....

Good looking dog, and looks like a good hunt, too!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
There is somebody on the forum that posted some pics in the past where he puts his generators in a little pop up tent away from his trailer and keeps his generators in there.
It sounds like a good idea as the tent keeps the gens out of the weather and out of site. I suppose they can still be chained to a near by tree while in the tent.
I have not bought a portable generator(s) yet to try the idea myself, but hope to one of these days.
That's a great idea. I LIKE IT!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
One of our concerns is how to protect the generator from weather (particularly rain). I like the pup tent idea too, especially for weather. You could use it to stash other things as well... So far what we've been doing is using a kid's folding card table (purchased at a resale shop for a few bucks) that is just tall enough to go over the Honda 2000. If it's not a windy rain, this works great to keep rain off.

We are in the process of fashioning a vinyl cover that fits over the table creating a tent affair with sides that can be removed, opened or rolled up. We can then roll up the side that is away from the wind to allow enough air in... When we don't need the table to shield the generator we use it as a small table on the patio, so it's double-duty.

By the way, I don't like to sit the generator in the dirt...so we sit it on a lid from one of the totes we use, or one of the collapsible crates we carry with us.

When we are away from camp and at night we put the generator back into the bed of the truck (which has a locking tonneau cover). We never leave camp with the generator in open view. When we've cabled it down we've used the trailer tongue, a wheel rim or a tree.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
As far as where to carry it and how to "secure" it. The attached pics can speak for themselves.

Do you travel with the generator there? I tried placing mine there and trying it down with a couple of nylon straps. Seemed secure, but the fit was a bit tight and I didn't want to risk marring the shell. Seems to me a 1000 would be perfect there.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Honda gen accessory

Frank, I would suggest a hour meter for your generator. I paid about $30 for mine several years ago. The crankcase capacity on the 2000 is about 1 qt.
I change mine every 30 hrs or at the end of the season, whichever occurs first. I call it cheap insurance over the long run. It takes less than 5 minutes to install the Honda hour meter. Enjoy, Larry
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Larry: Thank you for the suggestion of an hour meter. I'll look into that since I plan to follow the maintenance schedule or improve on it. Clean oil is the life of any engine.

Wayne: I plan to carry it there. I considered an EU1000, but the price difference was not worth halving the output and the 2000 will probably last longer at the light loads that I intend to use it under. It fits fairly loose there and strapped down has no place to go. The main thing is to keep it outside since I tow with an SUV, keep it from falling off, and give it some level of theft deterrent. We'll see how it behaves.

jdalrymple: I know, I know...it's a generator thread, but since I started the threat, I should be cut some slack in posting my other traveling companion, Tess, and AS fanatic. She's 8 years old, has traveled thousands of miles by car, float plane, hot air ballon, boat and canoe and makes lots of friends wherever she goes. Good bird dog and one heck of a fish spotter!

Thank you all for your great comments.
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote