Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I'm impressed. I thought you could get propane models of the 2000 and 3000 but haven't been able to located any. I like the forward mounted genset running on propane format. Very nice work.
Impressed? I'm not impressed. . . . . I'm totally BLOWN AWAY! The design, fabrication and attention to detail are INCREDIBLE! What a great job.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

What would be the down side of a harmoney 2500 w 20.8 amp 76lb 76db much cheaper than the EU series ? Will Ackerman
Will Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Ackerman
What would be the down side of a harmoney 2500 w 20.8 amp 76lb 76db much cheaper than the EU series ? Will Ackerman
Cannot find info on Harmoney/Harmony 2500, but the noise level is four times higher than the advertized noise level for the Honda.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Honda 2000i

I'm running a pair of Honda 2000i's and my only complaint is the small fuel tank. Other than that, they are terrific little generators! I didn't know that they had a propane option for the 2000i. It sure would be nice to have at least one of the generators mounted on the trailer for "carefree" overnight stops! I could mount both of them on either side of the hitch - and the only thing I would lose is my shorter turning radius! The GMC dually could care less!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Honda Propane Conversion

Here ya go! Kits are around $100. Once it is converted to propane, you cannot go back to gas on a EU2000i, unless you replace the carb. I think I am going to convert mine, as it is a real pain to refuel, especially during a power outage at 11PM. With a 30# propane tank, you get over 7 gallons, so that would equate to over 50 hours of runtime on a tank in Eco Throttle mode.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here is the company that Marshall used in post #19 above. Somehow, he figured out (see his website) how to make his generator run on either propane or gasoline. http://www.carbturbo.com/
Old 12-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
2 x Honda EU20001

Thanks for all the imput on the Honda's.

I took your advice and ordered 2 of the EU2000's. Mayberry Sales and Service was great, free shipping (via Fedx) and their price was 20% less than my local Honda dealer. The way I look at it I got the parallel box for free.
My choice came down to storage. I felt that we would only need both generators during A/C season. So thanks for all the imput! Once again Airstreamforums to the rescue!!!

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:09 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Excellent thread!!!

This is one I have been "pondering" for quite a spell. We "boondock" ( by boondock I mean more than 50-80 miles from the nearest doctor, muchless a hospital ) more than use full hook-up campgronds. Our 62 Overlander LY was easy, 1 EU2000. Our newest addition however , a 76 Globetrotter LY with AC has led me on a new path. Looks like duals will be the HAPPY medium for both applications. Again, EXCELLENT thread!!!

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too have been looking at this one for over a year. At some point, I have decided to go with the dual 2000 units. I commited to this for several reasons, some or most that have been posted already. For example, more power, easier to store and move about, 45% of it's capacity vs the 60% with the 3000. Outside of capacity, the biggest issue for me is that the 3000 is a total tank.

I have the 15k BTU A/C unit so every volt/amp/watt counts! I will have to start with just one, but eventually will add the second and the power plugs to join them as we do boondock and it would be nice to have A/C on those hot, steamy nights.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
My wife and I are anxiously awaiting delivery of our 1st Stream'. An 05' 28' CCD and have been reading every forum and web site we could find. Right now we are struggling with the genset question. I've read that a few of you have choosen the 2 - 2000 route and was wondering if now that you have the set-up what you thought of the noise level with both running. As power seems almost equal and weight isn't a factor sound is very imortant to us.
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We like the two 2000's because:
- many times we only need to run one, such as to make coffee.
- two provide more power than the single 3000, our 15000 BTU heat pump/AC runs fine when connected to the duo
- easy to handle, pick up, move

Our "issues" with the 2000
- small fuel tank - we have a separate marine 6 gal tank with feed lines to both, but it is a chore
- sometimes hard to start
- have to provide rain cover

Our issue with the trailer is that the main power cord isn't long enough to run up to our truck tailgate

From inside, we really don't notice the generators unless you place them under an open window. They are the most quiet we've found. Can highly recommend them, along with the parallel kit, which we built from Home Depot parts.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrell
My wife and I are anxiously awaiting delivery of our 1st Stream'. An 05' 28' CCD and have been reading every forum and web site we could find. Right now we are struggling with the genset question. I've read that a few of you have choosen the 2 - 2000 route and was wondering if now that you have the set-up what you thought of the noise level with both running. As power seems almost equal and weight isn't a factor sound is very imortant to us.
Welcome to the Airstream community!
We decided on 2x EU2000 after serious thought. It came down to ease of storage. In our part of the country (Richmond VA) summers are very hot and humid. We would not want to dry camp with out A/C. We do go to some areas like NASCAR races where we need A/C and we would parallel the 2, but for all other applications we would only use one EU 2000. As far as noise here is the link to the Mayberry's site where we bought ours from. Go to the Honda Generator area, click on the EU series and the have a noise comparison graph that puts the EU 2000's in the 53-59 dB. I would not think that 2 running would be that much difference. here is the link[URL=http://mayberrys.com]:

good luck in your new adventures!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
What's a good price on a EU3000

I saw a new EU3000 today at a store that is going out of business. They didn't have it marked down yet but retail on it was $1,899. (no wheels so I am assuming it's the basic model. Don't know that options are available other than wheels). I would prefer 2-EU2000's instead but at what price would EU3000 become too good to pass up? 20%, 25%, 30% off? I could use it as a back-up at home as well as camping. Lugging it around would be the biggest disadvantange and that may well come down to be the deal breaker for me regardless of price. Any thoughts? It's probably been on the shelf 6 months or more as I've seen it there before.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Once more for two 2000 EUs

I use an A.R.E. tonneau cap on my pickup. The two Honda's are secured to the rear 1/3 of a rolling cargo slide, called a "Mobile Workstation," when underway. I secure the 4' x 4' workstation at the forward end of the bed, the 30-gal "blue tank" occupies one side at the back of the bed, and a Rubbermaid container fits on the other side. The forward 2/3 of the workstation carry additional cargo, I have two 1-gal gas cans in a compartment behind the left wheel well, a small compressor and tank is located behind the right wheel well, and misc. other cargo (torque wrench, B & D hobby work benches, hard to find synthetic oil for truck, Honda oil, etc.) is carried in two compartments forward of the wheel wells on each side. I also carry a 4' long bench-type aluminum platform that I bought from Camper's world (---the bench sits on 1/3 of the platform) to mount the generators on when, and if, I take then out of the truck. The platform also serves as a "step stool" - as CW originally intended. The height of the 2000 EUs is such that they just clear the closed topper when sitting on the 4 1/2" high platform. This was a very critical dimension for me as I definitely did not want another cab high pickup topper. With this arrangement, I never have to get in the pickup truck bed. (----for the record, I darn near killed myself climbing out of the truck bed two years ago when I was building in some of the compartments, and further, I found, with my last cab-high topper, that everything I wanted in the truck bed was always out of reach!) Once the blue tank and the rubbermaid container are out of the way, I can roll the Mobile Workstation out onto the tailgate and, if I so choose, even beyond the tailgate, using the two included legs, while the front end of the platform remains on the tailgate. With this arrangement I can generally position the truck where the trailer cord would reach - although I've never hesitated to use a very heavy extension cord that I carry - especially when running the Hondas in parallel. With the platform out on the tailgate, I can close and lock the topper - even though the tailgate opening is still semi-accessible. Both the 3000 EU, as well as the comparable Yamaha, were too high to fit under the topper. I also like the flexibility and redundancy of the two Hondas, as well as the availability of 4 kilowatts to power up my camp during an emergency winter power outage.

This is probably far more information than anyone would want - but the setup works great for me!

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic
I saw a new EU3000 today at a store that is going out of business. They didn't have it marked down yet but retail on it was $1,899. (no wheels so I am assuming it's the basic model. Don't know that options are available other than wheels). I would prefer 2-EU2000's instead but at what price would EU3000 become too good to pass up? 20%, 25%, 30% off? I could use it as a back-up at home as well as camping. Lugging it around would be the biggest disadvantange and that may well come down to be the deal breaker for me regardless of price. Any thoughts? It's probably been on the shelf 6 months or more as I've seen it there before.
I bought my Honda EU-3000is three years ago for $1599. The dealers marked price was $1799. I did my homework and printed out the lowest price from the Internet. I negotiated and saved $200. You probably could get it for $1699. I'd email Mayberry's and get a written quote. Take that to your dealer and see if he'll match it. I bet he will. I got a wheel kit the same way, for $94, and the dealer installed it free! You might have to pay State sales tax, depending on your state.

While 2 EU-2000s are nice, easier to carry, 4000 watts vs 3000 watts, the price is higher for them and the connection kit. My EU-3000 starts my 13.5K air conditioner and runs everything else I use in my Airstream. I just roll it into my pick-up truck bed and secure it. It has worked well for me for 3 years now.

Good luck!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz
Abe,

I have an EU3000 that I purchased in the summer of 2000 from Palco Generators, in Norvelt, PA near Pittsburgh (www.palcogenerators.com). It is mounted on the tongue of my Bambi in a stainless steel enclosure (see www.mswartz.com) and has over 600 hours on it.
I am very pleased with the EU3000 and would highly recommend it to others. And I found the people at Palco very helpful with service on a Yamaha genset I had. The EU3000 hasn't had any need for service so far.
Marshall,

I visited your website and viewed your pics.....nice setup!! I also have a EU3000 Honda that is currently running on gasoline that I load into the back of my Avalanche. We have been very happy with our 3000, but would prefer to operate the generator on propane, as we do get some gas odor from time to time in the cab. I've checked into the propane conversion......and it would cost me about $440 to convert to propane (which I'd like to do, but don't think I have the expertise to tackle this myself). What does the conversion kit cost....and can a "mechanically challenged" person do the conversion??
Also......just curious.......in your setup....... having the added weight (about 134#) on the front of your trailer/hitch/tongue, I would be concerned if I mounted it like you did that the weight on my tongue would be exceeded. I currently have a 28' CCD, with 900# tongue weight. I have an Equalizer hitch with sway bars rated at 1000#. If I'm figuring this right....wouldn't this put me over the limit on the sway bar weight?? Maybe I should just keep it in the back of the Avalanche after converting to Propane, and run the lines to the generator.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:02 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Jim,

I considered a conversion to propane only, but I'm glad to have the dual-fuel capability. The conversion I made cost approximately $280 for all the parts and about 12 hours of time, including the modifications and setup time.

The modifications I made required some machining and fabrications for which I used equipment available in a local small machine shop. The approach I took is not the only choice, and a different approach could be taken which could simplify the process, by putting the regulator outside the genset enclosure.

You may consider keeping the EU3000 in the rear of the Avalanche until you've thought out all the choices available to you. I spent quite a bit of time considering my options before committing to the configuration I have.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Where to buy Honda generators

Hi,

I have decided on two Honda EU2000 generators with the parallel kit so that I can run my air conditioner. Can anyone offer advise on the best place to purchase these?

Thanks,

Sandi
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #39
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I believe that a number of members have bought them on line form mayberrys? The parallel cable can be bough form Honda, or it can be made if you can source the parts. Road King Moe made one for his gen-sets and documented it somewhere.

Smily should be able to help you on the electrical side if you want to try to save the bucks for the kit.

IIRC you will have to call mayberrys as they do not post the price on the web???
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
If you use the standard outlets for paralleling the units, all you need is available at Home depot or Lowes for the parallel kit. it saves about $150 over the GenTran.

We burchased our generators via mail order after trying to get a local dealer to work with us. We talked to 4 different local dealers, and they were all $200+ per generator more than Alamia (which no longer sells Honda).

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote