Old 07-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah I think it's do-able.
I'm at work, and can't measure it but it would fit. The problem may be the gasoline fumes in the vehicle - unless you go the propane route. In that case, piece of cake, IMO.
Dave

Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
as I recall, I removed the the screw on rubber feet at eahc corner, enlarged those holes and drilled a companion hole for the u-bolts. pretty straightforward job, double nutted the wheels on the inside and used self lockers on the outboard side of the wheels.
I went with smaller wheels on mine because the access cover to the air cleaner, etc would be blocked with large wheels.
Was that an issue with yours? If so, how much trouble will it be to access that area? I like the large wheels...I may need to re-think mine. I would still only put them on one end to reduce rolling away.
Dave

Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Westbrook , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
as I recall, I removed the the screw on rubber feet at eahc corner, enlarged those holes and drilled a companion hole for the u-bolts. pretty straightforward job, double nutted the wheels on the inside and used self lockers on the outboard side of the wheels.
The "U-Bolts" look alot like wire rope clips, good idea, great use for a thing made for something entirely different. I am going to try the Honda wheels when they come in, but I really like the BIG FOOT wheels for ease of pushing through grass, rough ground or snow/ice frozen bumpy ground. I'll probably when start gathering the parts soon. I had a thought last night about having to drill an extra hole for the u-bolt, and remember maybe they make a "J-BOLT", that might be adaptable for the one hole. I don't mind having to remove a wheel for acces to the innards.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Fyr....

Dave -

Where you answering me about the 'fit-ability' of the 3000 into the Burb, or into SilverToy? SilverToy fitabilitly might offer the best conditions announcement but there are perhaps, other issues?

Just clarifiying. Would likely prefer to have the 3000 inside the Burb as the weight issue might 'off- balance' a bit more than to have the unit in the TT with the added 'stink' issues as well.....

I understand that 'stink' issues are preatty 'intense' when you are dealing with a fulll tank of fuel....in an enclosed space even with standing the 'normal' distance requirement....... Guess it might be doable, at what cost?

I am just looking for the best way clear/ around of this issue with a minimum of $'s involved............!!!!!!!!!!!! Oopps, was that just and oximoron? hope not.....

But seriously, Thanks to all!!!!!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
wasafari's 3000 pictured above is converted to run on propane, you can see the lines and regulator in the photo.
Thanks for calling that to my attention~!
I didn't look that closely at the photo but, when you mention it..I did.
Sorry, this is not an attempt to hijack the thread but..
Many years ago, on a ham radio field day, the gang used a 10k propane generator and, As I recalled, we used at least 300 lbs of propane for the week-end` Wonder what the cost would be in terms of today's dollars~?
I like the concept of using propane..for all of the reasons mention above.
Just getting the 3000i in and out of my burb is..Not very convenient.
It does fit very nicely thru the opening of one door but, you need two people to handle it.
QUESTION. Has anyone used their unit enough to be able to say, how many hours, etc before it needs a maintenance? Any tips would be greatly appreciated~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I have used my Hondas alot both at Field Day and around the house and never have had to do a thing to them yet. Hondas dont seem to require much maint.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #49
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Many years ago, on a ham radio field day, the gang used a 10k propane generator and, As I recalled, we used at least 300 lbs of propane for the week-end` Wonder what the cost would be in terms of today's dollars~?
My 30 pound tanks cost about $17 to fill, multiply that by ten...if the ratio holds, it would be $170.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
QUESTION. Has anyone used their unit enough to be able to say, how many hours, etc before it needs a maintenance? Any tips would be greatly appreciated~
ciao
53FC
Our brother-in-law just ran his 3000is for 14 days, 12 hours on, 12 off, alternating with our 2000i. He changed the oil in his before starting.
Both units ran for about 170 hours total. His used 6 gallons per 12 hour "shift", ours used 1.5 gallons. Neither used any oil. His is still relatively new, less than 500 hours on it, ours has several thousand hours on it.
All I have done to ours is change the oil, clean the air filter, and check the spark plug. Ours ran continuously for 5 days after hurricane Wilma knocked out our power.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #50
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I went with smaller wheels on mine because the access cover to the air cleaner, etc would be blocked with large wheels.
Was that an issue with yours? If so, how much trouble will it be to access that area? I like the large wheels...I may need to re-think mine.
Dave
For ease of access, drill a hole through the allthread, and use a hairpin and washer on the wheels that will need to be removed, instead of nuts. Unclip the hairpin, and pull the wheel off. When you're done, put the wheel back on, and reinstall the hairpin.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Valvestem, I posted some time back about a stand that I use to lift my 3000. Now, I can't find those photos at the moment, but if you look through this forum under generators, you may find. I have an Excursion and didn't want to load the generator in my vehicle, so I had a receiver installed on the front of the Excursion for a rack - and that is where I carry my 3000. I built an extension cord so once I load the 3000 I never touch it again for the trip - works like a champ!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Valvestem, try the post on this link - post #53 for photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...a-13986-4.html
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Honda Generators - Honda's Portable Electric Power Generator Line#

All you ever wanted to know about Honda Generators. Once you have one....its the only one you will have.

As for the Honda3000is and lifting it out of your truck. One way to do it is buy an hydrolic table with a foot pump. I think Western tool sells them or you can find them on the NET. They are small and lower to the ground. You can raise them up and roll the HOnda right into the bed of the truck. Honda sells wheel kits and kits to combine two 3000is to a one thirty amp plug. You can also do this with two 2000is. IN MY opion and everyone else that uses a generator they are the best. The quietest,,,thats a fact....look it up. The sip gas.

If you convert them to propane you will loose about 15% efficiency. Just the facts.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I've had my Honda EU-3000is w/ wheel kit for 5 years now. It does start our 13.5K AC, but we rarely use the gen for that. Mostly running appliances and battery charging. I bought a folding ATV ramp to load the generator into my PU. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I'll just lift it in and out. Hey I work out.
I've changed the oil a couple of times and have desulfated the battery with a battery tender. No problems with starting.
For security, I have a truck cap and I use a Kryptonite bike lock and cable lock to lock it to the truck cap frame. I'd like to lock it to the truck bed or frame but that would require cutting and welding. Any better suggestions?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #55
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
For security, I have a truck cap and I use a Kryptonite bike lock and cable lock to lock it to the truck cap frame. I'd like to lock it to the truck bed or frame but that would require cutting and welding. Any better suggestions?
I have a suggestion that would require drilling only a small hole or two, one in the cap frame above one of the stake holes in the bed, the other in the bottom of the same stake hole, if it doesn't have one. Run your cable through the holes, and lock the cable to the generator. This would not only keep honest people from stealing your generator, it would also keep a he-man from walking off with your generator AND cap.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Westbrook , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
Valvestem, try the post on this link - post #53 for photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...a-13986-4.html
Hello nilesrob, thanks for the link. I will check into the lift. By the way, did you experience any cooling issues with the gen in front of the grill?