Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by iHayley View Post
Oooo... tell me more about this "Hard Start Kit"?? I'm looking at buying two of those Honda 2000 generators, but they're quite pricey. I was going to start with just one and see how I did, and then go back for the second later. My big question was if only one was going to be enough to start up the AC.

Halyley...Check what size AC you have 11,000 btu or 13,500 btu...I believe 11,000 is Safari standard and 13,500 is the Safari SE standard size...but check to make sure...should be in your owners manual/materials... Of course, the higher the btu rating the more oomph you need...

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
clearly there is some variation based on WHICH ac (size/btu) and WHAT ELSE is drawing electric.

dometic advises 3500 w gensets for the 13.5 and 15,000 btu a/c units.

the local honda sales/service shop advises AGAINST using eco mode with the parallel kit.

i LIKE to run the fridge on electric and other gadgets at the same time the a/c is in use...

and with sudden demand needs (like the a/c) voltage DROPS initially if running in eco mode, according to honda.

so 2 easy checks are...

1. does the 'overload light' on the gensets come ON when the a/c kicks in...
2. does a voltage meter show any drop in voltage and for how long?

i've checked the continuous display voltage meter in my unit and voltage does drop to the 103-105 range briefly is using eco mode.

this drop does NOT happen when eco mode is OFF.

so it may be penny wise, pound foolish to use eco during a/c usage or while in parallel operation with large demand gadgets...

it's not clear how much gas is 'saved' in eco mode/parallel when the a/c is on either, but...

these voltage drops aren't good for the a/c and 'overload' isn't good for the gensets...

if not checking voltage drops and overload alerts, the observation that it 'seems to run ok' may be misleading.

with a smaller a/c this may not be an issue, but checking voltage and overload alerts is still prudent.

so now my thoughts are wandering ..........

could you use a smaller generator or eco mode IF you had a system with AVR (auto voltage regulation?) to maintain the voltage? yes, a little knowledge IS dangerous.

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote