Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Washington , Washington, D.C.
Honda 2000i vs. Honda 2000i Companion

Hi,

I have a couple questions about the Honda inverter generators that I'm hoping someone on the forum can help us with. I've copied them below. Thanks in advance!

- If our budget only allows us to buy 1 2000w generator, should we purchase the 2000i or the 2000i Companion? In the photos of the generators online, I see that the Companion model has the 30 AMP receiver built in, whereas the 2000i does not. So, I'd assume we should buy the Companion model so we can plug in our 30 AMP cord, but want to check with the experts first.

- If we can buy 2x 2000w generators, should we buy 2x Companions or 1 Companion and 1 2000i? On Amazon, you can buy a bundled package, which saves some money, but delivers 1 Companion and 1 2000i. My concern with this approach is that every time we only need to use 1 generator, we would have to use the Companion because it has the 30 AMP receiver. My concern is then if we allocate the bulk of our use to one generator, we wear that generator out faster.

Thanks in advance!
danandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The standard practice is to have one of each when linked together. I don't know if you can connect two companions together, that's a question for Honda.

If only buying one you can buy either generator and use a 30A to 20A adapter for the non companion. One generator won't give you enough power to need more than 20A.

Similarly if you have one of each and are concerned about using one more than the other you can alternate generators by using the adapter when you don't bring along the companion.
Imo, I don't think using one generator more than the other is something you need to be concerned with. I don't think anyone has worn out one of these generators, i bought my set used from a construction company that used them to run portable traffic lights. I'm sure they have a lot of hours on them but they still run like new, start on the first pull and don't use oil.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The companion would be preferable to get one of, even though you still can't run the air conditioner with it alone.
As for purchasing two, you only need one companion, a regular 2000i will connect to it, and the trailer will plug into the outlet on the companion.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I bought the companion first, since I caught it on sale. But it really does not matter which you buy first.

There is no need for two companions. One of each is the way they are designed to work together. If you look at either model you will see two round single opening receptacles labeled "parallel operation outlets". (two side by side) That is where the cords plug in that combine the two generators.

My companion has a twist lock receptacle, not an rv receptacle, so I cannot plug the trailer cord in without an adapter.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Solid advice above.

Note that whichever generator you buy first will require an adapter to connect the 30amp power cord. The non-companion will need a 20 amp to 30 amp RV adapter. The companion requires a 30 amp twist lock to 30 amp RV adapter (your power cord end is not the twist lock standard it is what's known as a "30TT" for travel trailer).

I have one of each generator both converted to LP. Pics in my gallery if you want to see that arrangement. I have the proper adapter in each generator so I alternate use when I need only one but parallel them for AC and run both.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you bought Yamaha 2,000 watt units they would be identical. The parallel cord used to connect the 2 generators together already has the 30 amp RV receptacle. No need for anything else when running in parallel. You will still need a 20 amp adaptor if you run only one generator.
PPL motor home usually has good prices on Yamaha generators.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
First buy the single, then the companion. For very little money you can buy a converter to hook up the single. I started with one and then got my companion. I think they are very good. Have had the first one for 5 years and it works great, no trouble. Be sure and use fuel stabalizer in the winter.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Starting an AC is the issue. Some AC units can be started with a 2KW generator. The key is that the AC be equipped with a "hard start" capacitor (which often can be added to as an aftermarket upgrade). Once started, an AC unit needs far fewer amps than what was needed to get it started. I'd buy the Companion model (usually about $100 extra). I had a 3KW Honda Handi which was a sweet little unit. Powered everything on the 17' Casita Travel Trailer I had at the time.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have two Honda 2000s... We got the Companion first, along with the paralleling cable (which is very simple and easy to use), figuring that SOMEone would have a regular 2000 if we really need to establish a cool trailer at a campout or rally... before we got the 2nd regular generator. We got the regular one later. The advice above is solid. You will need an adapter for either generator...a 20-to-30 for the regular one and a twist & lock to regular 30-amp plug in for the Companion.. BE SURE to have these before you head out for a trip! These machine are highly reliable and user friendly. You can do you own maintenance if you wish ... we do our own oil changes, and the minor stuff, but take them to a Honda dealer for service about once a year for the more in-depth stuff. Be sure to drain the gas tanks AND carburetors if you plan to let the generators sit idle for more than a month without using them.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Hondas

Just to be clear. You will not get 26 amps out of the companion generator without the 2000i run parallel with it. Therefore, you cannot run your air conditioning until you have both.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
We have one of each. Companion has the advantage of the 30 amp outlet, and the regular 2000i has a 12v charger outlet that can be used if you have trouble with Tow Vehicle battery.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I've had a pair of 200i's for a while. Had a Honda 3000 that worked like a charm but was too heavy to lift up into the bed of my 4WD pickup. My electrician friends said that the plug was the limiting factor in output so I got the parallel kit that had the right plug. It was a little more expensive but now I can run all kinds of stuff at the same time without any issues. Mine is older but I THINK this is the Honda part number 08E90-HPK2001. But it does come from Honda so a dealer can help you with that. I think the risk with generators isn't that you wear them out but rather there are issues from lack of use. I always use both even though I rarely need both.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8316.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	268280Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8316.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	268280I'm not too clever with photos but I think I just attached a picture of my parallel kit.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
I'm running 2 regular 2000I with an after market parallel attachment and
Regular 30 amp plug. Run them on eco mode air conditioning. And all works
Good . After air conditioner starts up one gen set goes back to idle rpm. You can
Also power up an electric fry pan, fan, etc by just plugging into irregular 15
Amp on either gen. I'm supplying both sets with a 6 gal boat fuel tank with a y
In the fuel supply line. Just run only be set if desired. Been using this set up
Several year with my 1970 AS trade wind or 1966 Avion truck camper. I pull either
With a Dodge 2500 diesel. Bob C. (Toaster)
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Be sure to drain the gas tanks AND carburetors if you plan to let the generators sit idle for more than a month without using them.
I've always believed the better approach is to run them until all fuel is exhausted. I bought, at Autozone, a simple bulb-operated siphon. I use it to remove all the fuel I can from the tank, then crank the unit and allow it to run until it quits. I do this for chain saws, line trimmers, generators, etc. and never have any problems with starting.

The Honda's do have a provision for draining the carburetor bowl, but this doesn't address fuel in the tank that can become stale.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
I've always believed the better approach is to run them until all fuel is exhausted. I bought, at Autozone, a simple bulb-operated siphon. I use it to remove all the fuel I can from the tank, then crank the unit and allow it to run until it quits. I do this for chain saws, line trimmers, generators, etc. and never have any problems with starting.

The Honda's do have a provision for draining the carburetor bowl, but this doesn't address fuel in the tank that can become stale.

I do this then open the carb drain screw. Quite a bit of fuel still drains out.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I actually do that as well. I siphon all I can out of the tank, then run a few minutes until it runs out of fuel … then open the cabureter drain to make sure it's empty.
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeb View Post
Attachment 268280Attachment 268280I'm not too clever with photos but I think I just attached a picture of my parallel kit.
Does this setup bond the neutral and ground so that the GFCI's work?
With the normal setup my plug in tester gives erroneous readings, like reversed neutral and positive.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Does this setup bond the neutral and ground so that the GFCI's work?
With the normal setup my plug in tester gives erroneous readings, like reversed neutral and positive.

A W Warn-

This adapter works to solve open ground problem on my setup.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net...tor-plug/c1mwy
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Honda Generators

Question about ground with the Reliance parallel kid from Honda...yes it has a separate ground connection so all the GFCIs work normally. That pic is of it in my garage but I will be using it next week so maybe I can post a pic of it set up as well as finding the right Honda Part number for it.

I think the advice on fuel is unless you are using it daily that you should use a fuel stablizer like Stabil. I use the same fuel in my Honda snowblower as my generators and it's just to tricky to know when they are in use or put away so I just put stabilizer in all my fuel all the time. The increased use of ethanol is the problem now. Ethanol can be corrosive to some fuel system parts A good idea is to ALWAYS keep the vent on your gas can closed since ethanol also attracts moisture. Honda sells the "no spill" gas cans which do not have vents and, wow, you can refill your generator even after dark without pouring gas all over the place. If you know you are putting it away for an extended period of time you can also buy ethanol free gasoline to run through when you run it dry so there is no ethanol residue anywhere in your fuel system. It is readily available for two stroke by the quart premixed with oil and stabilizer but the four cycle ethanol free fuel I've seen does not have stabilizer so you might want to add a little.