Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
2007 19' Bambi
Irving , Texas
Honda 2000i details/questions for user(s)

I haven't pulled the trigger yet but close. I still haven't actually looked at one but have researched on the internet. I'd like to hear from someone who's actually using two of them paralleled together as recommended by so many here on the forum. I realize I can get my questions answered tomorrow when I go to the Honda dealer but I'd like to know at least a little more about it before I go.

I'm considering one "companion" and one 'regular?' unit.
The "companion" is made ready to be coupled. The other has the DC output.

- I guess I need to buy some kind of coupling cable to link the two together.
What can I expect to pay for that? Simple cord(s) or proprietary Honda cable?
- The companion comes with a 30 amp 'twist?' lock receptacle...
(the other looks like a regular 120 in the pics and the non-companion model looks like it has two 120's)
My trailer cable has one twist lock connection but it must go into the trailer. The other end of my cable is a regular push-in 3 prong 30 amp male plug. Will I have to buy/make another cord with a twist lock on both ends? Or is there an adapter?

This is our first trailer and we have never 'boondocked' before. We're going to do it in CO for the first time next week. I guess my biggest fear is depleting the batteries. Will all DC devices work off of the running generator with dead batteries? How long to recharge the batteries with the generator?
(The dealer told me that when I plug in at home it can take up to 3 days to fully charge the batteries)

I realize this is simple stuff for those of you with experience but I'd appreciate any advice or tips.

I might only buy one unit prior to this trip since I don't think I'll need the AC where we're going...I hope. Probably mostly coffee pot, hair dryer,etc.

Life is short. Play hard.
BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
For the twist-lock three-prong connector you need to purchase a simple adapter for your RV ready 30amp plug. I paid $39 for the parallel cables.

1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
You might also want to check for online offers. We purchased our two units a couple of years ago and the dual connector and freight were included in our deal--you also do not have to pay state sales tax. There are normally several distributors listed in Trailer Life as well. We are very pleased with our two units.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You may have already done the deed. I have two 2000's. Have never needed to use them both but I have the old style kit. If I was in Texas I'm sure it would be different. Usually I take one along for battery charging as I use a 120v pod coffee maker. Even with 200amps the batteries need a charge after a few days. If I were doing it again I would think hard about a 3000 instead fitted for propane or propane and gasoline. I would use this from the slide out in the truck. Two 2000's and gas take up more room than the 3000. If out with other ASers it's not bad for two to move.
You really cann't go wrong in any case. Up here where the sun doesn't shine a 1000 would get you by in nearly all cases.
Remember to not use economy mode to charge your batteries.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Mine are the regular EU2000 models. I made my own interconnect but the shielded banana plugs are no longer available from MCM.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote

2000i, generator, honda