Old 03-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Honda 2000 rough idle after storage....????

Greetings.

A fine day in Chicago, and it seemed to be a good oportunity to fire up the Honda 2000 for a while to run some gas through the generator after sitting dormant for the winter.

In the fall, before storing, I filled the tank with fresh Prem. Unleaded gas, a few ounces of Stabil. According to the instructions on the sta-bil, you use 1 oz for every 2 1/2 gallons of fuel, or for longer term storage you can double that. I also drained the oil, and replaced with new.

The tank on the Honda is only about a gallon, so I threw in a little more than one ounce. maybe two.

Three months later...now.

The Honda started up after about six tugs, I let it warm up, choke on, Eco-throttle OFF.

After a couple of minutes warm up, I turned the choke off, and the generator started, but it is idling roughly. The only way to describe it is that it sounds like it is going to stall, but then picks up speed again, and repeats this.

If I turned the choke to 3/4 on, it seems to idle smoother, but then when I switch on the eco-throttle, it does the same thing.

My gut tells me I should dump the gas in the tank, open the carberator drain screw for a minute. Then refill with a fresh tank of gas.

Do you think I could have added to much Sta-bil to the gas? Anyone care to enlighten me? Did I totally screw up my 2000?

We've really only used the generator on a couple of occasions.

Thanks, and happy spring, sort of.

Jonathan

Old 03-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Did you run the gen-set for 20 min or so after adding the stabil? Or drain the carb and fill it with the additive laced fuel?

If you did nit, then the un-stabil gas could have gummed up the carb...........

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Mine did this too

Mine did the idle boogy thing too after it sat for awhile. My solution was to turn the ECO button off, and let it run with the choke off for about 30minutes. It idled fine after this. I too use Sta-bul, but make sure I run it after I add the additive to avoid the carb gumup problem. I now run it up at least once month for awhile, and I haven't had any further problems.

It took awhile, but I was able to run it off the choke eventually (I turned it off when it started to stumble with the choke on).
I really think gas goes bad after awhile, I tend to add a bit extra of sta-bul vs. what they recommend. I don't think it hurts anything.
Marc
Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi.

And thanks for your answers. My gen. would run OK if I had the choke ON to about 3/4's.

It idles rough with the choke off. So if I just let the gen run with the choke off, and eco throttle off, running rough, that it would eventually run smoothly, say after about 1/2 hour?

And yes, I did run the honda with the infused gas in the fall.

thanks again.

Jonathan
Old 03-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Honda generator

I have a 1000 that does this after not being used for a few months. Stabil or running it dry doesn't help. I have to take the carb apart and clean the jet every time. I think its because the jet hole is so small just a little gum from the gas closes it up.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Bad gas is tough on Honda's

We had really bad experience with new Eu2000 in December... Bought unit and filled with gas from storage can filled in early 2004 with gas and Sta-bil per recommendations, and that had been sloshed a little before filling to re-mix any gum or settling...

Net result was broken valve stem and retainer after 30 minutes of running, attributed to "gummy gas" and sticking valve... I'm not so sure Honda's and Sta-bil are good match... Similar issues with clogging jet on Yamaha 600w generator, and need to remove and clean jet after sitting for a while..

I'd do the "Remove gas, drain carb, and start with fresh shiny new gas" routine... Hopefully you can find way to dispose of old gas better than our urban Calif model, where entire can must be surrendered to folks in white bunny suits at toxic waste dump days... Helps drive sales of new gas cans...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Because of all of the above posts and other reasons, I have ordered a kit to convert my EU2000 to propane. Kit is supposed to ship this week, it was ordered 3 weeks ago. When it comes I will do a thread on the conversion process.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Very typical Honda and stale gas problem. Honda Mower does the same. Have to drop the float bowl on it evey spring and clean out the jet. Funny thing is my Briggs on the lawn tractor never gives me a issue. this was the first year I ever bothered with Stabil.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
You want a fast idle

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I ran the gen with the choke full ON until it stopped running smooth. That was my indicator to turn the choke off, and continue running the gen. (all of this with the eco throttle off). The idea is to run the motor fast, which I assume puts heat in the carb and burns off the gum. Honestly, I got a MILD fast/slow idle for about 20 minutes if I tried the ECO switch (slow idle). After 30", I turned it off, let it sit for ten minutes, restarted it, and I put it on Eco - it hicupped once, and started just idling like a top. You might also want to put some Techroline or simular gumout product in to clean it out.

I also just put good regular grade gas in (never Arco - which has a high ethanol content). I don't use super.

I find it hard to believe that one should / would have to clean out the carb each time it sits. My boat sits all winter (with sta-bul) and it never has a problem starting.
Marc
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rivet Have a Honda EU 11000

I've also owned 4 Honda Motorcycles and one Lawnmower. Fact: choke is manual and you always have to use it to start the motor. In cold weather open the choke all the way, start the engine, let it run a few minutes, then cut back to 3/4 or 1/2. In warm weather you can cut back to 1/2 choke almost immediately. As engine warms the motor will start to sound a little rough. That's the point where you disengage the choke completely. I've never used sta-bill or anything else and have left a motorcycle sitting for several months.

It is best to start and run them once every two weeks or so. Also they really like Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Check your oil changing instructions on the generators, they need frequent oil changes.

Tin Lizzie
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Thank you all for your insights.

I think the first thing I will do is run the generator for an hour, letting it warm up, in hopes of clearing what ever it is out. Though, through another reliable source whos initials are RKM....says I might have to do some generator cardiology....

As far as removing the old gas, my plan was to put the gas that I take out of the Honda, and pour it into an almost full toyota gas tank. I will not just throw this down the drain for ecological reasons.

I assume that the shear volume of the gas that's in the toyota will dilute the gas in question enough so that I can use it that way.

The learning never ends....

Jonathan
Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
What about pouring some Barryman's B-12 in the tank to clean the jet?
That stuff will disolve gummy deposits won't it?

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
The very small motor in the EU2000i has a carb with a very small jet. It does not take much gum to partially block the fuel flow enough to cause this problem. It runs better with the choke on because the reduced air flow matches the reduced fuel flow. Pour the old gas into your car, refill with fresh gas, and add some Techron (the $6/bottle stuff, not the $2/bottle stuff that has a very low percentage of Techron). Run it a while and it will be fine.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Thanks again.

Update:

I drained the tank on the Honda, ran the gen until no gas.

Bought a bottle of the Chevron Techron, and a fresh one gallon premium gasoline. I mixed 1-2 oz. in with the gas, poured it in the Honda gas tank. About six pulls, the Honda started, I let it warm up with the choke at about 1/2 for a few minutes, and then turned the choke off.

Success!!! The generator runs like it use to. As I write this, I have the generator running, eco-throttle OFF, and will run it for 1/2 hour.

A ?: how much of the gas laced with Techron should I run through the Honda? I bought a gallon of gas, and put about half of that in the Honda.

Or is my "clogged jet" all fixed, and ready to just add un-altered gas?

Thanks friends.

Jonathan