Originally Posted by dmac
Today I started my Honda EU2000i for the first time since last fall... and like others have reported it would only run properly with 3/4 choke. I followed my own advice from an earlier post and dumped the old gas into my car and refilled the generator with fresh gas and Techron. I ran it for an hour and it still ran rough with less than 3/4 choke.
Then I cleaned the carb using the following simple procedure...
- Remove the red side cover using a coin
- Remove the black air filter cover using a coin
- Remove the lower portion of the air filter to reveal a screw, remove the screw
- Remove the two nuts holding the air cleaner assembly to the carb
- Remove the air cleaner assembly
- Spray carb cleaner into the two visible openings on the intake side of the carb
- Remove the black fuel line that connects to the right side of the carb
- Pull the carb straight out
- Spray carb cleaner into the small idle opening in the carb throat on the engine side of the carb (the brass idle needle protrudes slightly)
- Remove the bolt holding the float bowl to the carb, remove the float bowl
- Spray carb cleaner into the main jet
It now runs perfectly!
Just bought a used EU1000i and it wouldn't run even with the choke off. So, I warmed it up, changed the oil, installed 8 fl oz ( one cup) worth of Mobil 1 full Syn 10w-30, cleaned the air filter, and then followed up with some Chevron premium and an ounce of the Techron. Ran it for an hour, still not better, would change speed constantly in economy mode, still would not run at all without the choke being on, and hard to start, to boot, when cold.
So I followed your procedure.
8mm socket, 10mm socket, 1/4" drive ratchet, needle nosed pliers for main fuel line clamp and removal/install Gum Out carb cleaner, and went to town. The carb cleaner didn't get the job done, even with a 15min soak with the float bowl off on the, and prodigious coaxing in the main jet with Gum Out, so I went to the next step.
I have a little air compressor with a rubber conical tipped nozzle with a trigger to control flow, that I used, along with blocking the hole on the side of the main jet with my finger, near the fuel bowl cutoff floats, that I directed a 100 psi blast at. 2 blasts with that, then followed by a last Gum Out solvent blast, and I put every thing back together.
The EU1000i now runs like a sewing machine again.
So if fresh fuel with Techron doesn't solve the problem, and Gum Out doesn't solve the problem, with a good soaking, take the next step and use a compressor with a rubber tip with about 40 to 50 psi air pressure, to blow the jet and orfices out to get them clean again.
Good luck! And thanks for the tips here!