Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #21
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Living in the desert heat can be a real problem with any small engines -- gas evaporates/gums up in the bowl very qwickly. I used to run the tank and bowl dry on everything unless I used it weekly. No I simply take the aircleaner off before running, spray some carb cleaner in, and start -- this has made a big difference in engines I run only occasionally like my EU2000s
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Today I started my Honda EU2000i for the first time since last fall... and like others have reported it would only run properly with 3/4 choke. I followed my own advice from an earlier post and dumped the old gas into my car and refilled the generator with fresh gas and Techron. I ran it for an hour and it still ran rough with less than 3/4 choke.

Then I cleaned the carb using the following simple procedure...

- Remove the red side cover using a coin
- Remove the black air filter cover using a coin
- Remove the lower portion of the air filter to reveal a screw, remove the screw
- Remove the two nuts holding the air cleaner assembly to the carb
- Remove the air cleaner assembly
- Spray carb cleaner into the two visible openings on the intake side of the carb
- Remove the black fuel line that connects to the right side of the carb
- Pull the carb straight out
- Spray carb cleaner into the small idle opening in the carb throat on the engine side of the carb (the brass idle needle protrudes slightly)
- Remove the bolt holding the float bowl to the carb, remove the float bowl
- Spray carb cleaner into the main jet
- Reassemble

It now runs perfectly!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Today I started my Honda EU2000i for the first time since last fall... and like others have reported it would only run properly with 3/4 choke. I followed my own advice from an earlier post and dumped the old gas into my car and refilled the generator with fresh gas and Techron. I ran it for an hour and it still ran rough with less than 3/4 choke.
It now runs perfectly!
I find that if I use a fuel stabilizer like "Stable" or "PRI-D" I don't get problems like that. They both stop fuel from gumming up the works in storage.
I also run my EU2000 at least once a month for an hour each time. Keeps the rust away from the cylenders.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Blow Out...

Hi Guys....
I KN it aint the same, but 4 wot it's worth...My Engine lawn mower sounded like the same symptons, I let it run a while, then I poured a lttl RED X & INJECTION Cleaner in2 the tank, it realy kicked out the gummed up goo in the bore & freed the piston too, now She runs sweet as a nut, & a lot more responsive 2...well U gotta try the simplest first, + I cleaned the Air filter & New plug & changed the OIL...Come on Grass, GROW, Hee Hee...with ALL this rain We havin now, it'll B 2 feet tall...LOL...Chris.....
Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #25
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I thought I'd follow up to this thread: Last fall, I drained the gas from the tank, and emptied the carb of gas using the drain screw thing. I also changed the oil. I then pulled on the starter cord until I could feel resistance and then stored.

Last week, after a four month hybernation, I filled the 2000 with premium gas, tugged on the starter a half dozen times or so, and it started up without any of the problems that were brought up on the first post of this thread.

So I guess the way to store these for a long period is to make sure that the generator is dry...no gas.

We will be using the 2000 in a few weeks for a trip to Mammoth Cave, KY. Been there in the Eurovan on the Green river campground. This time we will stay at the Headquarters CG. A very cool place.

I'm just hoping that by the time we get back in the Chicago-area toward the end of March, I won't have to re-winterize. You never know though.

Jonathan
Old 02-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
a little vibration but not what I'd describe as rough idle after storing

I'm of course guilty of letting mine sit in the garage (for several months...) with a gas/Stabil mix in the tank. After reading this thread I got motivated (worried) and bought fresh 89 octane gas, Techron and carb cleaner. I mixed the new fuel with Techron and added it to what was in the tank and sprayed a couple good doses of carb cleaner down the throat and let it sit for a few minutes. Put it on full choke and gave a few pulls. Nothing. Hmmm it is close to 80 today. Turned off the choke and bingo it started first pull. I did notice it vibrated more in eco-throttle mode but nothing I would describe as rough. Less vibration with eco-throttle off. I guess I never noticed it before and I don't think this is what Jonathan/crazylev is describing. I changed the oil and ran it again for 15 to 20 minutes with the same results. Is the vibration normal (from my youth I recall single cylinder engines like BSA thumpers being pretty bouncy)? I have setup a calendar reminder to give it a least a monthly maintenance run.
Ken
Old 02-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm begining to feel happy I've opted for my Generac 40G QuitePac. For the $1400 delivered price it's been about bullet proof. Just this afternoon I installed a new remote switch with hour meter that I ordered last week after my AS dealer just couldn't or wouldn't get around to ordering.
I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and change my oil every two weeks when I'm on the road.... or every 100 hours.
My old rolling showroom is for sale and I'm going to take this generator that was on it originally and put it back on and then order a replacement of the same model.
BTW my Honda powered Husquavarna mower is getting ready to start it's third season and I've never had a moments concern re fuel/carb issues. I put it away late in the fall with a full tank...no sta-bul.. and then start it up in the early spring.
Keep your tank full at all times... run your motor often............ use synth. oil and keep on keep'in on.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi Ken.

After storage the first year and upon starting up the first time of the season, my 2000 exhibited the same behaviour as yours: ran just OK with eco throttle OFF, but as soon as I turned the Eco on, it would start shaking and shimmieying like a lap dancer on crack. Well maybe not that bad. Besides, I wouldn't really know what a lap dancer on crack....again I digress.

I poured out all the "old" gas that was mixed with Stabil and put in new Premium (91?) gas with techron. Started up up, and this time very little if any shake, rattle or roll.

Also during the normal camping season, I also make it a point to start up and run the 2000 for 15 minutes or so to run some gas through the carb.

Cheers.

Jonathan
Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks Jonathan. Sounds like I have to give the Honda a little more love next weekend. Maybe a full Monty on the carb. I guess my techron and carb cleaner investment were worth it. I really hate the idea of just dumping the gas. Anybody have a recommended/preferred hand sipon?
-Ken
Old 02-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #30
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi Ken.

I just lift the Honda and pour the contents into a clean container. I then put the gas from the Honda into our Toyota and use it that way. I make sure the receiving vehicle has at least a half a tank of "normal" gas to dilute the Honda gas. I then run the Toyota to about empty and then fill it up.

Jonathan
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
EU2000i Rough Idle Problem

I also experienced similar issues with the Honda EU2000i. I made the mistake of running my generator dry at the end of the season, but did not drain the bowl. When I refueled the generator the following season, it started fine, but, as soon as it was loaded, it bogged down. I cleaned the carburator bowl and drain valve of the yellow residue left behind from evaporation of the old gas using Gumout. I also unscrewed the orfice from the stem and found it partially blocked. It was also cleaned by soaking. On re-assembly, the generator would now rev under load and deliver full output.

However, when switching the ECO throttle on, the governor would oscillate, as was described by others in this thread. Running at high speed for 1/2 hour did not clear this problem. I then tried using 93 octane with the Techron (1 oz per gallon) as was suggested in another post. After running the generator with a heavy load for another 1/2 hour, the unit idled normally with eco throttle on! Thanks for the recommendation...it works.
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
Granada Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post

Then I cleaned the carb using the following simple procedure...

- Remove the red side cover using a coin
- Remove the black air filter cover using a coin
- Remove the lower portion of the air filter to reveal a screw, remove the screw
- Remove the two nuts holding the air cleaner assembly to the carb
- Remove the air cleaner assembly
- Spray carb cleaner into the two visible openings on the intake side of the carb
- Remove the black fuel line that connects to the right side of the carb
- Pull the carb straight out
- Spray carb cleaner into the small idle opening in the carb throat on the engine side of the carb (the brass idle needle protrudes slightly)
- Remove the bolt holding the float bowl to the carb, remove the float bowl
- Spray carb cleaner into the main jet
- Reassemble

It now runs perfectly!
Just bought a used EU1000i and it wouldn't run even with the choke off. So, I warmed it up, changed the oil, installed 8 fl oz ( one cup) worth of Mobil 1 full Syn 10w-30, cleaned the air filter, and then followed up with some Chevron premium and an ounce of the Techron. Ran it for an hour, still not better, would change speed constantly in economy mode, still would not run at all without the choke being on, and hard to start, to boot, when cold.

So I followed your procedure.
Tools:
8mm socket, 10mm socket, 1/4" drive ratchet, needle nosed pliers for main fuel line clamp and removal/install Gum Out carb cleaner, and went to town. The carb cleaner didn't get the job done, even with a 15min soak with the float bowl off on the, and prodigious coaxing in the main jet with Gum Out, so I went to the next step.

I have a little air compressor with a rubber conical tipped nozzle with a trigger to control flow, that I used, along with blocking the hole on the side of the main jet with my finger, near the fuel bowl cutoff floats, that I directed a 100 psi blast at. 2 blasts with that, then followed by a last Gum Out solvent blast, and I put every thing back together.

The EU1000i now runs like a sewing machine again.
So if fresh fuel with Techron doesn't solve the problem, and Gum Out doesn't solve the problem, with a good soaking, take the next step and use a compressor with a rubber tip with about 40 to 50 psi air pressure, to blow the jet and orfices out to get them clean again.

Good luck! And thanks for the tips here!
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote