Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
As have I, and I was surprised at how quiet the Generac was. James at the FitRV did a review of it as well and he was equally impressed.

Anyway, peeps can buy what they want. If you want to run your A/C from these small units, you'll need 2, and the Generac setup ends up being about $600 less than the equivalent Honda setup. That's a pretty big difference, and I simply offered it up to the OP as an option. Little did I know I was poking at the sacred Honda cow..... [emoji38]
Nothing sacred here for me, but here is what I would like to know.

With an easystart, I can run my 13.5k A/C with the Honda. Has anyone tried with the generac? I am suspicious of the 40 some watt difference in the test at 50%. That could be very important to OP.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I use the Yamaha brand converted to tri-fuel. My Yamaha 2400isHc will start a 13,500 btu without Easy Start. My old a/c was replaced with a 15,000 and I have had the Easy Start installed on it. I also have a 2000 Yamaha also tri-fuel. I run both on propane.

I can tell the difference between the Honda and Yamaha when compared to the less pricey genlerators when camping. The Honda and Yamaha have a lower pitch in sound than the others which seem to have a brighter sound. They do stand out in the campground.

I noticed generator cut off time in Yellowstone is now 8pm. Last year it was 9pm. Whether this has anything to do with the different brands of generators I do not know. There are lots of campers who do not like to listen to a generator.
Good to hear that about the Yamaha. I've never tried to run the A/C with mine but I'll give it a shot before going to the trouble of installing an EasyStart. Thanks
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Nothing sacred here for me, but here is what I would like to know.

With an easystart, I can run my 13.5k A/C with the Honda. Has anyone tried with the generac? I am suspicious of the 40 some watt difference in the test at 50%. That could be very important to OP.
We may be crossing the streams here. You have a 30' trailer and you're in the motorhome forum, specifically the Sprinter and B-van forum. I haven't seen anyone yet that's been able to run their Sprinter A/C from a Honda 2000. I realize the OP has a 250, so he might have better luck, but I think it's important that we all know there are significant differences in the electrical systems between the trailers and the motorhomes.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
We may be crossing the streams here. You have a 30' trailer and you're in the motorhome forum, specifically the Sprinter and B-van forum. I haven't seen anyone yet that's been able to run their Sprinter A/C from a Honda 2000. I realize the OP has a 250, so he might have better luck, but I think it's important that we all know there are significant differences in the electrical systems between the trailers and the motorhomes.....
You're right, I didn't realize that. Are there items you can't turn off and run the a/c only?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You're right, I didn't realize that. Are there items you can't turn off and run the a/c only?
Not sure what the problem is, but it might be the fridge. It switches to AC power when the transfer switch kicks on and I don't know if there's any way to force it back to battery power. I never run off shore power (I only boondock) so I haven't tried it. Even if it was off, the numbers just don't seem to work. The A/C consumes a bit over 1700W when the compressor is on (steady state, so after the inrush from the start cycle). That's a bit over 14A at 120V. The Honda is rated at 1600W max steady state, which is a bit over 13A at 120V. How does the Honda not fault when the compressor is running? Maybe the trailers have a different A/C unit vs the vans?
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Forgot about the fridge....not propane. I force my trailer to propane. I don't have any of my paperwork for the air conditioner. It is at JC with my trailer. But there have been a number of trailer folks who have reported using their Honda 2000 with easystart. Can't remember what the Yamaha guys said. I don't believe any of them will with propane conversion. I installed easystart last spring and experimented for about an hour. Didn't need a/c while dry camping this summer. Was up north.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Good to hear that about the Yamaha. I've never tried to run the A/C with mine but I'll give it a shot before going to the trouble of installing an EasyStart. Thanks

Mine starts my ancient Armstrong with no problem.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 AM   #28
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
One issue concerning Honda

My issue is getting warranty service, and have discovered that service is directly related to where you purchased your unit. My EU2000 would not start right out of the box. It eventually started but has on a couple of occasions been very contrary. When I attempted to start it the other day, it refused and I wanted to have a Honda service center look at it. The first thing they ask is " did you buy it here?" and goes downhill from there, no luck finding anyone that I would leave it with yet. I would seriously consider another brand, you can have trouble with anything, and probably have better luck getting service than I have with the Honda, and save some major bucks in the process. If you're considering a Honda, buy from a local reputable dealer with a service dept. I've already spent the $50 I saved on time and fuel going to different Honda dealers.
Not a happy Honda owner
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
My issue is getting warranty service, and have discovered that service is directly related to where you purchased your unit. My EU2000 would not start right out of the box. It eventually started but has on a couple of occasions been very contrary. When I attempted to start it the other day, it refused and I wanted to have a Honda service center look at it. The first thing they ask is " did you buy it here?" and goes downhill from there, no luck finding anyone that I would leave it with yet. I would seriously consider another brand, you can have trouble with anything, and probably have better luck getting service than I have with the Honda, and save some major bucks in the process. If you're considering a Honda, buy from a local reputable dealer with a service dept. I've already spent the $50 I saved on time and fuel going to different Honda dealers.
Not a happy Honda owner
You seem to have drawn one of the few short straws. There is another thread on here about some Honda's have defective spark plug caps that need to be replaced. That could certainly be your problem with random starting and running issues.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ps-172577.html

I would also double check the spark plug gap to be sure it is to spec as per the manual.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #30
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Not certain my unit's spark plug cap is/was defective, serial numbers was outside the recall, but replaced it anyway, no luck. The gap on the spark plug is correct. I pulled the spark plug, and pulled the recoil starter and got spark, reinstalled and in one pull it is running. Not certain what is going on here, but it's a cross your fingers and hope it starts adventure. That's why I want a service center to look at it when it wouldn't start. Expensive lemon
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
At this year’s International Rally in Escanaba, MI, the Easy Start vendor was super busy installing their units in Airstreams, mine included. The caravan leaders were parked across from me, and many of them started and ran their AC units on Honda 2000 generators. One even started and ran his on solar!

I have started and ran my 15,000 btu AC on a 15 amp circuit after the Easy Start was installed. Planning on buying a 2000 generator for next summer’s trip.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Can someone point me to how to convert a Honda 2000 generator to propane? Do you lose capability when you run off propane? Is it worth the trouble?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Search here

Although the BTU output is slightly less for the engine on LP, as long as it's able to supply the rpm's needed for the load the generator requires you won't loose any capability. On our conversion the breaker will trip long before the engine would stall.

Our conversion is a USCARB done in 2007. Still running perfect. It does have the mixture adjustment block so it can be set to run at altitude...not sure the new ones do.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09127.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	299171   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 014.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	299172  

Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I use the Yamaha brand converted to tri-fuel. My Yamaha 2400isHc will start a 13,500 btu without Easy Start. My old a/c was replaced with a 15,000 and I have had the Easy Start installed on it. I also have a 2000 Yamaha also tri-fuel. I run both on propane.

I can tell the difference between the Honda and Yamaha when compared to the less pricey genlerators when camping. The Honda and Yamaha have a lower pitch in sound than the others which seem to have a brighter sound. They do stand out in the campground.

I noticed generator cut off time in Yellowstone is now 8pm. Last year it was 9pm. Whether this has anything to do with the different brands of generators I do not know. There are lots of campers who do not like to listen to a generator.
How do you like running the Honda with propane? I want to be able to run on propane, otherwise I might consider the Generac.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
I think the thing in the generator discussion is there are other brands out there that work well. The Honda GX line of motors has well proven reliability.
I work in commercial/industrial construction and most every auxiliary motor out there be it generators, cement mixers, compaction equipment all use Honda GX motors for one reason, reliability, and you pay for it.
Buy a wood splitter for example, it can be had with a B&S, Onan or SOB.... Honda is offered as and added expense option for it's power and reliability
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I thought about running either my 5000 watt REALLY LOUD Generac or my Honda eu2000 on propane and decided against it because propane, at the time, was more expensive per gallon than gasoline.

The natural gas option @home might be an option, though.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I believe the gx model hondas are really noisy. Go with inverter models.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Inverter models use the GX motors
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
GX motors use overhead valve configurations....Honda's GV motors uses overhead cam configurations
Old 11-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Vancouver , British Columbia
Bought our Honda EU2000i many years ago and it has run flawlessly. Very quiet.