Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Fairview , New Jersey
Home generator

Hi all

This is my first post. I was wondering if any of you can recommend a home generator to be run for back while power is out. We live in NJ so we had to first deal with Hurrican Sandy and now a Norestern Storm. I have made up my mind that with two small kids that I need to invest in a generator for our townhome. I really need only to power essential things like Fridge, gas furnace burner, some CFL lights, cable modem along with phone to have communication. Any ideas? It seems the best generator right now is the HONDA brand. Obvisously more expensive. I was looking at either a combo of two EU2000I or EU3000I. Im not looking to power everything in my house.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If I were looking for the RV and home use, I'd go with the two EU2000is. I also have a 3400 watt "old brute" of a Generac, but I got that free from my father. I don't think I'd need more than 4000 watts to survive in a power outage either.

With the combo of the 200 watters, you'd have, I believe the most flexibility of multiple uses. JMHO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Panama City Beach , Florida
I've had my eye on the Boliy generator or the Yamaha 2400ishc.

Yamaha EF2400ISHC Portable Generator - EF2400iSHC - 2000 Watt Inverter Generator

BOLIY Comparison

The Boliy is very lightweight in comparison to other 3000w units - only about 70lbs for the pull start model. I researched how that can me and apparently the generator does not use a flywheel due to the 'digital' technology. It has the same size engine as the Yamaha 2400 & 3000 generators (171cc) and there seems to be a thought that both engines are made in the same plant.. not sure however.

Anyone else notice that the Yamaha 2400 & 3000 have the same engine? Seems odd right?

I like the idea of the Yamaha should hold its resale value better than the Boliy (who's heard of them before!?) but the Boliy sure has better specs on paper.

I'm wrestling with the same decision.. good luck!!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Honda is probably the best, but for home use I have a Champion 4000 (4500 peak) that is working out really well at about half the price. Check if Camping World still has them on sale. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

The key to generator sizing is, figure out how much current you need, then buy JUST enough generator to cover it. Add up the watts of everything you want to power. Then get a generator that produces a little more than that. The generator ought to run between 75% and 90% of capacity for best efficiency.

Also, very important safety tip for home generator use… ALWAYS disconnect from municipal power before firing up your generator. Should be a disconnect somewhere close to your electric meter. If you don't disconnect, then you're feeding your excess power back into the grid, and you could electrocute some poor worker who's trying to restore power and thinks he's working on a dead circuit.

If you won't be needing your generator very often, consider buying a propane generator. Propane doesn't get stale like ethanol gasoline does, and so you'll have fewer problems from storing fuel for long periods.

But plan on running your generator anyway for about an hour, twice a month, even if you don't need it. The best way to make sure it runs when you need it is to also run it when you don't need it.

OSHA has a pamplet of generator safety, that you can download at http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurr...tor_safety.pdf. I recommend that anyone who owns a generator print out a copy, and read it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbzz85 View Post
Anyone else notice that the Yamaha 2400 & 3000 have the same engine? Seems odd right?
Hi, this is true.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The Boliy specs looked good to me too, so I bought one two years ago, have tried to use it three times, it actually worked twice (had to change the inverter once under warranty, but I had to do it since freight to CA is cost prohibative), and it's been a royal PITA.

When it has worked, it's worked fine, but I certainly would not recommend it. Maybe they are better now.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome, and our best wishes to you and neighbors to get through storm season... We have a Honda EU2000 for our AIrstream, and use both generator and trailer as emergency backup units for house.. Trailer is set with food, propane, water, clothing etc so we can move into it if home is disrupted.. From experience, a single EU2000 can run our refrigerator and a lamp or two, but not much else.. If you want to run a furnace burner/blower plus refrigerator and lighting, etc you are going to need at least 4000 watts.. Unless you also need it for a mobile camper or Airstream, you can buy a fixed Honda 4000 watt generator for around $1600, which is a lot cheaper than a pair of EU2000's...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Panama City Beach , Florida
I would love to hear from a Boliy owner that purchased in 2012. The newest model supposedly has a 'smooth edge' metal gas cap.

SteveH - so the inverter went completely out and so they shipped you a new one for you to install yourself? The DIY part doesn't bother me too much, just the fact that you had to mess with it at all after only a couple of uses. Mind me asking who you ordered it through?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Unless you also need it for a mobile camper or Airstream, you can buy a fixed Honda 4000 watt generator for around $1600, which is a lot cheaper than a pair of EU2000's..."

Not a lot..I paid $1900 out the door at Wise for my two hondas, with the parallel cable and adapter + a couple of other trinkets. Since I walked in, they paid my state tax in lieu of free shipping. I like the flexibility of carrying one or both on trips.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbzz85 View Post
I would love to hear from a Boliy owner that purchased in 2012. The newest model supposedly has a 'smooth edge' metal gas cap.

SteveH - so the inverter went completely out and so they shipped you a new one for you to install yourself? The DIY part doesn't bother me too much, just the fact that you had to mess with it at all after only a couple of uses. Mind me asking who you ordered it through?
I ordered it thru "The Boliy Guy" in California as he had a "special deal" at the time.

I actually only used it successfully on one trip, and the second time I went to use it, it was dead. I used it again this year at the Balloon Fiesta Rally in Albuquerque, and although it ran, it did not run well, and I had to work on the carb when I got home. In it's defense, it really hasn't run enough.

The biggest problem I have had working on it, is actually figuring out HOW to take the thing apart. It is actually an engineering marvel, IMHO, how they get so much packed into such a small unit.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
generator

Sorry to hear about your terrible situation up there, and hope it will soon resolved. I owned a pawn shop for several years, and bought and sold many generators during that time. The Hondas are top of the line, but you pay for what you get. I presently have a Honda 3500, good size just a little heavy to transport. Parts and maintenance are readily available as opposed to some of the brand X. If you are looking for something to run for extended periods the Honda is among the best and will hold up. If you decide to sell it later they have the best resale of any gen. In reality, you may never need it again when the power comes on. The two EU2000I gens would be a good choice, very portable, run one or both as needed, and you would have a backup. Generators can be very temperamental and always seem to go down when you need them most. I keep hearing horror stories of price gouging, are the Hondas (or others) available there? Good luck!!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I own a cheap, "lawn mower" type generator for back-up power. Relatively high output power for a lot less money than the Honda twins we use for camping.

A nice 7 kw 220 volt generator can be had from Northern Tool for less than $1000.00.

If one has has a basic understanding of residential wiring, such a genset could be wired into your breaker panel and make power available throughout the home. Not all items could be powered all the time, but with a little thought at least power would be available without cords being strung everywhere.

Drain the gas and run the carb dry before storage, it will keep forever and is always ready.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The biggest problem I have had working on it, is actually figuring out HOW to take the thing apart. It is actually an engineering marvel, IMHO, how they get so much packed into such a small unit.
As an engineer, I am dismayed to think that so many "engineering marvels" are completely user-unfriendly. Making devices so compact that they're like trying to disassemble a 3D jigsaw puzzle to work on them isn't necessarily a good thing.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote