Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As an engineer, I am dismayed to think that so many "engineering marvels" are completely user-unfriendly. Making devices so compact that they're like trying to disassemble a 3D jigsaw puzzle to work on them isn't necessarily a good thing.
Part of me agrees with you, but the part that has to lift the thing, and find a space for it in the back of the truck disagrees.

It would have been much better if the manual had given the sequence of disassembly, but they obviously DO NOT want the consumer to have that info.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I recently bought our daughter a generac 5500 from lowes as she also lives in NJ and was without electricity.

If you are a veteran you might want to check with both Home depot and Lowes to see if they are giving a discount to veterans this weekend. If so it is usually an additonal 10% off of the item even if it is on sale. I assume you will need to show that you area veteran.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Urnmor is correct. HD and Lowes do give a veterans discount of 10% all the time. I always am ready to provide my retired ID card but often they don't even bother to look at it. I think they also will give it to orders made over the telephone. Ask when you make the order.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have had a Honda 1000w genny for about 10 years (28 lbs). It takes care of all my needs when I boondock and ran our small 5,000 btu/hr A/C, some lights, TV and computer when we went without power for 4 days in June. It is frugal on gas and very quiet.

I would recommend getting a Honda or Yamaha 2000w genny. It should provide power for a few lights, TV, computer, fridge and the furnace fan. It will also provide power should you boondock camp, except for A/C. You can add the second unit later if you feel you need it.

I don't know the power needs of your furnace fan or fridge. You may need to alternate usage, but that would be acceptable to me. Just having that quiet reliable power available provides really good peace of mind.

Good luck, Dan
Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As an engineer, I am dismayed to think that so many "engineering marvels" are completely user-unfriendly. Making devices so compact that they're like trying to disassemble a 3D jigsaw puzzle to work on them isn't necessarily a good thing.
I was given (by a friend) a big box of pieces which had been a Honda 3000 ei generator. It was taken apart by a Honda dealer, who then said it needed a gas tank (it didn't) and they would not put it back together without the new gas tank and $600. So, finally they gave it back in a box. Nice, huh?

Anyway that was quite a jig saw puzzle to put back together, requiring several mis steps once I got it partly assembled and found that, no, now you can't put such and such a part in. I cleaned it up as I re assembled it, and when finally done, I put gas in it and it ran just perfectly. However, the rope pull starter is broken and short of an even more complete tear down, there is no way I can find to replace that, so now it is electric start only.

It is a great generator, but, as you say it is not necessarily a good thing that it is so terribly hard to service, and Honda service is very expensive. To be fair, most service is expensive at $75 to $130 an hour of shop time. I find it sad that sometimes a very high quality item like a Honda is scraped because a relatively simple item is broken, but the cost to replace it is close to the cost of a new unit.

Sorry to drift this thread, but could not resist the story.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I find it sad that sometimes a very high quality item like a Honda is scraped because a relatively simple item is broken, but the cost to replace it is close to the cost of a new unit.
Yeah. My dad owns a lawn mower repair shop, but works on any small engine, including generators. Or he did, before his stroke a couple months ago. My kid brother works in the layaway department at their local Walmart.

Just a couple of years ago, my father found out that when Walmart took in a lawn mower, generator, gas weed-eater, chainsaw, or other small gasoline-powered device for warranty work, they threw away the old one (just chucked it in a dumpster!) and gave the customer a new one, because it was cheaper than fixing it. My kid brother went dumpster-diving, and scored half-a-dozen devices, that my father fixed up and resold for half price.

Each and every one of the devices needed parts costing him less than $6 per device (usually a seal kit), and almost without exception, the root cause of the malfunction could be traced to storing the unit with ethanol gasoline in the tank and carb bowl.

It wasn't the parts cost that made the units cheaper to throw away and replace than to fix, it was the labor.

The lesson here is, a small engine is a small engine, and there are plenty of people who work on them, cheap. It's one of the few areas where a shade-tree mechanic can still make a living. If a factory-authorized service center wants too much money to do a repair, get thee hence to a lawn mower repair shop, and ask them what they'd charge to do the work. You might be pleasantly surprised.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I like the idea of the propane powered generator. This bypasses the whole ethanol NIGHTMARE imposed on us my unscrupulous politicians. They have systems that automatically come on when the power goes out and they exercise themselves periodically to be ready when you need them. If you leave gas in a generator it won't run when you need it. Most folks don't know this or have no idea how to remove the gas and run the carb dry.

Perry
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #22

Newmarket , Ontario
Here is a great portable generator that we use on the go as well as around the farm at home ..

Generac Portable GP Series GP7500E at Norwall.com, GP7500E with Electric Start Generac Portable GP Series

it is a generac model withg 7500 watts and does quite the good job .. Hope this helps you in your search