Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Next time I'll read the ENTIRE thread before contributing to the insanity!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Blue Sky 3024iL is sufficient for the five 100 watt panels on the 23D. We sized the solar charge controller and associated wires to the output of the solar panels.

It's been quite some time since I sized the solar for my off the grid cabin, but I recall that code required that the controller had to be 125% of the panel rating to account for the potentially higher output during cold temps, snow reflectance, etc. Assuming your panels put out 5.5 -6.5 amps each at STC, have you cut it too close with a 30 amp controller?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
It's been quite some time since I sized the solar for my off the grid cabin, but I recall that code required that the controller had to be 125% of the panel rating to account for the potentially higher output during cold temps, snow reflectance, etc. Assuming your panels put out 5.5 -6.5 amps each at STC, have you cut it too close with a 30 amp controller?
The Blue Sky 3024iL is 40 amps @12VDC, which is how his panels are connected. 30 amps at 24VDC.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't most modern controllers have the ability to clamp excess amperage?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't most modern controllers have the ability to clamp excess amperage?
They do have the ability to run over capacity (up to their stated limits) and then 'clip' the output to the designed maximum. Could possibly be a waste of watts left on the roof if the array is too large, but that was a discussion in another thread.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The Blue Sky 3024iL is 40 amps @12VDC, which is how his panels are connected. 30 amps at 24VDC.
You know way more about this then I do. So I'm confused that I found this statement in Blue Sky's manual for that controller:

"Do not connect to a PV array capable of producing greater than 32A short circuit current for 12V nominal PV modules, or 24A short circuit for PV modules greater than 12V nominal. Limit input short circuit current to 12A if the 24V input 12V output mode is used".

It's on page 2:

http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/uplo...E_SB3024iL.pdf
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Boardman, OR , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
He should fit right in then.

Also he used a cable from his "car's amp" which means he's a knowledgeable expert.

See, just keeping the snowball going here.
I didn't attempt to insult anyone. As far as I know since I have almost the same controller is that the load is shown connected to the controller in the instructions. It should be the same for any controller. If you connect all of your loads directly to the battery what is to prevent you from going below 12 volts or whatever the voltage is when you're battery is damaged. Also fyi I attached a solar panel to the car roof. The sub wire as you said is 1/0 or 2/0, more than enough for 100 watts. This power wire comes directly from the battery fused with a 130 or 150 amp fuse. I also didn't claim to be an expert on anything, I read it from the manual u butthead
eksine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Posts after a year with no activity should be auto-closed.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksine View Post
I didn't attempt to insult anyone. As far as I know since I have almost the same controller is that the load is shown connected to the controller in the instructions. It should be the same for any controller. If you connect all of your loads directly to the battery what is to prevent you from going below 12 volts or whatever the voltage is when you're battery is damaged. Also fyi I attached a solar panel to the car roof. The sub wire as you said is 1/0 or 2/0, more than enough for 100 watts. This power wire comes directly from the battery fused with a 130 or 150 amp fuse. I also didn't claim to be an expert on anything, I read it from the manual u butthead
When you get into better inverters you can program them to shut down at specific voltages to prevent damaging your batteries ,they sometimes have built in battery chargers when there is a lack of solar ,they also can be programmed .the charge controller its main job is to charge the batteries as fast as possible without damaging them and maintenance charge for desulfication,the better charge controllers have many settings that can be changed for different types and brand of batteries , there are lots of info on Northern Arizona wind and Suns website, check it out!
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote