Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Help (hopefully!) with the solar package :confused:

aJust back from a rainy weekender at a San Diego state beach where we had our battery power drop to 20 percent overnight, so either battery wasn't fully charged or we have something draining power, as we have dry camped before with plenty of power for 3 days.

We have the new solar package but there is not much info in manual about it and would like to ask here before calling dealer to see if anyone else has this package and know how to use it! The monitor showed we had no solar amps available, but think this should have been charged as we had plenty of sun before the weekend. Any info here much appreciated

BTW, this trip was one to forget....we had 2 sites in 2 days and they sold our much needed hookup site on 3rd day to someone else! We came home thinking we each need our own Bambi....mine will be the CLEAN one with everything working perfectly

Begging for more we test our 31 years of marriage again next weekend...wish us luck!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
hi barbara
good luck in your search for your new bambi....
i suspect i may have the same type or similar problem as you...it may or may not be the controller...at least yours will be under warranty....it is possible for a reverse drain of power at nite...
it has been suggested to me to place a diode in the circuit to stop this, however maybe i should upgrade my controller....please keep us appraised of both dilemmas....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
hi barbara
good luck in your search for your new bambi....
i suspect i may have the same type or similar problem as you...it may or may not be the controller...at least yours will be under warranty....it is possible for a reverse drain of power at nite...
it has been suggested to me to place a diode in the circuit to stop this, however maybe i should upgrade my controller....please keep us appraised of both dilemmas....
norby

We think the main power switch was accidently turned off, as that red light on makes you think it's something you should turn off when you are shutting everything down for a few weeks...so a newbie error here and hopefully the fix, as this Bambi equipped with the solar system should be good to go for close to a week with this set up, according to earlier postings on these batteries.

Also the manual says to add water to the batteries occasionally, however these are different batteries which clearly state not to add water, so this a wierd issue and one we need to learn more about!

BTW, we cancelled this weekend till we're sure all bugs out of the Bambi, and also Dan said if we go he'd pitch a tent outside

We've had many laughs over this....all part of the AS fun
Old 12-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
BTW, we cancelled this weekend till we're sure all bugs out of the Bambi, and also Dan said if we go he'd pitch a tent outside
Is the Bambi too small for the two of you?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Is the Bambi too small for the two of you?

It appears it was VERY small for us this particular weekend

It is usually quite nice and cozy and we are planning our next adventure now that we've smoothed out all the bumps in the road