Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Wise sales has the 2000ie Honda for 865 no shipping or sales tax (to Fla). They shipped quick no games. They also sell a 6 gal extended run tank that will run two gen sets. No getting up to re fill if you are running the AC through the night. I think the Honda's are the only ones that can use the extended run tanks.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Slighty different stroke here. I bought a generator i could afford, that would run the a/c in the heat. Found out it is TOO LOUD for me or even patient neighbors. Anybody had any (successful) luck in boxing the things with foam or something to quiet it down, without overheating the unit? I'm thinking a couple increasing sizes of plywood boxes but haven't thought out the ventilation yet. Maybe tall, open topped boxes might work.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
Slighty different stroke here. I bought a generator i could afford, that would run the a/c in the heat. Found out it is TOO LOUD for me or even patient neighbors. Anybody had any (successful) luck in boxing the things with foam or something to quiet it down, without overheating the unit? I'm thinking a couple increasing sizes of plywood boxes but haven't thought out the ventilation yet. Maybe tall, open topped boxes might work.
I have seen it done and it makes a noticable difference. I have also seen throwing a sleeping bag or heavy blanket over the generator makes a difference.

I have wondered if a larger muffler could be rigged up anybody try?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
"Quiet" is combination of everything. I own build-in Generac, that has good muffler, but the engine itself make high-whining noise I can't stand.
Somebody on another forum took Honda EU2000 apart. Even the air intake had fancy shape of several small tubes leading to filter box.
You can take construction generator and start improving it. Good muffler from Harley (they always replace them with straight pipes, so actual mufflers can be free) , better engine shrouds, better crankshaft and balancing. By the time you get satisfy you spend more money than new Honda cost and end up with one ugly generator.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
update to update

So today I went out and bought a Champion 3500w genny. Thought I'd save a few bucks.

I managed to pick up a used Honda eu1000 cheap and love it. putt putt putt. So I just wanted a bit more umphf for ac etc with the Champ.

Well noisy! I'm going to take it back and keep my eyes open for a used eu2000, then I'll parallel the 1000 and 2000 together.

So that's the latest...
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #46
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn
...keep my eyes open for a used eu2000, then I'll parallel the 1000 and 2000 together...
no can do.

IF you eventually wanna use a parallel kit,

both gensets must be the same size...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...00i-18554.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0is-23976.html

so for ac potential that means 2x eu2000i...

there are perhaps a DOZEN good threads here on this issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-13986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-19770.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-19725.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...00i-35433.html

but self discovery is another option...

cheers
2air'

there is also someone here with 2x2000 mounted on the tongue behind lp tanks...

but you'll have to find that thread on ur own...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
well there are lot's of folks over on rv.net who do it routinely.

Only one way to find out.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn
well there are lot's of folks over on rv.net who do it routinely.

Only one way to find out.
When I asked the same question I was told NO. Let us know if you can.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
This forum is occupy by "paper experts".
Read the reply #47 one more time
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #50
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Kajtek, I read the link you provided (at least the posts that immediately appeared) and agree that some folks are linking them with some success. I wonder whether it is a good idea to do this routinely. For example, in order to get his AC to work, he linked them, then set the thermo way down so that it would not cycle on and off (the way a normal, comfortable setting would be). Then at night, he'd let some of the cold air out so he could sleep. I guess.

Would the manufacturers support this? Or could it be a plot for them to sell more 2000s and fewer 1000s? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think you'd agree that you should not mix battery sizes or types on a multi-battery rig. But perhaps not. But just on paper, that sounds reasonable to me (not to mix them).

I can also find plenty of folks who will do lots of stuff, and make it work - however I am not convinced of safety or long-terrm efficacy.

Thank goodness for paper experts so I don't have to go out and find out everything for myself.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #51
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Place me in the "uneducated" camp.

Dumb and ashamed. But I'll get over it.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Eu2000

there is also someone here with 2x2000 mounted on the tongue behind lp tanks

I have to look mre closely but it seems that would be a tight fit. Ive had my 2000's for a couple years for my vendor unit and love them. You can use one or two.......very flexable. I remember my dealer talking me into this option....much more portable and carry them anywhere. Mounting these easily moved units would make me nervous...unless secured well. I chain mine...... (which can also be cut, I suppose) hehe also I have little plastic signs attached warning folks of an embedded tracking device.....
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
By the way, I don't mean to "Shout" with my name in all caps...been looking for a way to change this...but doesn't seem to be an option now that I am committed.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #54
_

. , .
HEY JIM, WE'RE FINE WITH ALL CAPS!!!!

but if you wanna change this a mod/admin can do it for ya...

maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2
...I have to look mre closely but it seems that would be a tight fit...
i'm not suggesting we should mount them on the tongue, only that it has been done.

and the tanks/jacks may need to be moved slightly for this, there is the weight issue and turning radius may b reduced...

mswartz has a 3000 on his...

external

and grizzy did the 2x2000 on his with a neat'o rack and locks and shields...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f198...mbi-13142.html

the more camping, the less i use the genset, but do like having one in the truck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
on a side note
Hey TrophyJim2...are you in the trophy business? That's what I do over here on the westcoast! We also have a 27' FB
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #56
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
By the way, I don't mean to "Shout" with my name in all caps...been looking for a way to change this...but doesn't seem to be an option now that I am committed.
You can ask a moderator or admin to have your name surgically altered. It's relatively painless...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jim -- The only way a name change should occur is by you clicking the 'Contact us' link at the bottom of any Forums page. This establishes a chain of communication if you get cut off. Be sure to send the contact us message from your registration email account -- otherwise we can't process the request due to identity security, etc. You can check or update your email account in your control panel (User CP) on the blue menu bar at top left when you're signed in.

A name change is actually very easy. Usernames are case sensitive -- TROPHYJIM2 and TrophyJim2 are not the same people. Tell that to your customers...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
OK as long as you guys don't care.....I'll stay in "Blast" mode with all caps. .....Wow Air man I love those 2000 gen racks....Real Sweet, One could easily chain them in that position for extra security. Wonder if he gets much vibration.
Millvalleyca....Yep I am in the awards business since 1982. Plaques, Trophies, Rubber Stamps, and Interior Signs. Northeastern Pa. My son got a job last year in Aneheim and I was just out to see him over Christmas...my 1st time in CA.
I'm tryin not to work more than 5 more years. So we picked up th 27FB late this fall and just recently found a 2500HD with 27,000 miles on her. I have been in conversation with the "new Hensley Guy" and may get that hitch. I want to break in on some smaller trips...learn the so I'm ready to spend even more time in travel land. Later Jim
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Smile

Quote:
OK as long as you guys don't care.....I'll stay in "Blast" mode with all caps. .....Wow Air man I love those 2000 gen racks....Real Sweet, One could easily chain them in that position for extra security. Wonder if he gets much vibration.
Millvalleyca....Yep I am in the awards business since 1982. Plaques, Trophies, Rubber Stamps, and Interior Signs. Northeastern Pa. My son got a job last year in Aneheim and I was just out to see him over Christmas...my 1st time in CA.
I'm tryin not to work more than 5 more years. So we picked up th 27FB late this fall and just recently found a 2500HD with 27,000 miles on her. I have been in conversation with the "new Hensley Guy" and may get that hitch. I want to break in on some smaller trips...learn the so I'm ready to spend even more time in travel land. Later Jim
It must run in the "trophy family" we have similar set ups.....27' FB, two 2000 generators, F250 truck, just got a Hensley hitch, been in the trophy business since 1980....but not ready to retire!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It must run in the "trophy family" we have similar set ups.....27' FB, two 2000 generators, F250 truck, just got a Hensley hitch, been in the trophy business since 1980....but not ready to retire!
Business must be good...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote