Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #29
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
And I don't have words to describe the folks who use them and then retreat into their rigs to enjoy their AC and TV while leaving the rest of us to listen to their noise.

Pat
I have seen worse. Couple fire the beast up at 5PM, then drive off to have dinner, 40 miles away.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
They're everywhere - I ran into those guys on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

At least it drowns out the noise of the dogs they left behind.

Pat

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #31
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
... drive off to have dinner, 40 miles away.
question: why'd they go 40 miles away for dinner?

answer: they could still hear the genset at the 35 mile stop...

ain't it great to have an evil do'er to pick on ?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Moderation is Consideration

Quote:
IMHO, you should olny use a contractor generator when you are by yourself. Otherwise you are a nuisance to everyone within shouting distance.

And I don't have words to describe the folks who use them and then retreat into their rigs to enjoy their AC and TV while leaving the rest of us to listen to their noise.

Pat
I feel I make an effort to be nice. As I said above my Honda EU2000 won't run my AC. I usually have the option of full hookups and usually the Honda does the job. Actually I can only recall 1 instance when I went for the Champion.

I don't think it is out of line to use my noisy generator here in the southwest judiciously and restricted to permitted hours to get out of midsummer heat. I will put up with the heat for quite a while however. One of these days I will have the $ for another Honda and when I do I will remember suffering in the heat when a neighbor fires up.

I do try to check in with my neighbors and ask them if thay are OK with the noise and assure them I will turn it off as soon as possible.

I recall an instance camped at Gros Ventre at Grand Teton in a designated generator use loop, using my Champion (pre Honda days) when this guy from acoss the other end of the loop angrily came over to complain. Sorry, but I feel I was reasonable in using the genny in a designated area and within designated hours when this guy had the option of camping in a non generator loop, there was plenty of room. I also once or twice had people complain they could not hear the birds. Sorry, but if that is the outdoors experience you are looking for you have to expect you may not find it in a public campground in the middle of the summer. I also like birds, especially hot wings, and if my generator is noisy to others it is more obnoxious to me right next to it. It does get under my skin though when someone runs his generator all day long with no consideration.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
With utmost respect, I'm with the guy from across the park, and with the guys who couldn't hear the birds.

Quiet generators are bad enough. Contractor generators in public campgrounds are beyond the pale. I just can't understand the rathionale that suggests that this can ever be "nice". But that's what makes the world go around, I guess. There are also folks who believe that their spit cups look like iced tea to other folks.

Pat
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It's all about relationships

Quote:
With utmost respect, I'm with the guy from across the park, and with the guys who couldn't hear the birds.

Quiet generators are bad enough. Contractor generators in public campgrounds are beyond the pale. I just can't understand the rathionale that suggests that this can ever be "nice". But that's what makes the world go around, I guess. There are also folks who believe that their spit cups look like iced tea to other folks.

Pat
Pat,
This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Hypothetically, if I were running my noisy generator (which I avoid because I hate the noise too, and that is why I got the inverter) and a neighbor were to approach me with the respect that I grok from your reply you could bet money I would turn it off.

Hypothetically, if my neighbor in his 30 year old Airstream and 1975 Suburban and his three grandkids camping in the Needles in Utah in July with the outside air temp reading 100+ in the shade wanted to run his generator to cool off a bit (I resemble that remark, or at least did not too long ago) I would not begrudge him.

Personally speaking when I park it in a public campground in tourist season I am not expecting to find a pristine wilderness experience, and will only stress myself out letting myself get upset about Joe Blow's generator. In situations like this, this quote comes to mind "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?". I'd rather be a happy camper.

Generally I agee with 99.9 % of your position. But there are exceptions to everything.

Let me point out again in the example in my above post I was in a campground loop designated for generator use, the only one in the campground. There were at least 4 or 5 other loops where no generators were allowed. There were plenty of vacant sites in the other non generator loops. I was there first. This guy was at least 100' feet away from me. I was using my generator within hours specified by the rules. I did turn the generator off shortly thereafter, but under those circumstances did not feel I was being unreasonable in using the generator.

As far as the birders, sure my generator bugged them. So did my grandkids riding their bikes and hunting desperados, and so did my dogs who scared the birds away. But that's another story. Don't get me started about doggie rules.

For Cripes sake it's a campground. Have fun. Stop worrying about those obnoxious neighbors. Go over and talk to them. Maybe they will turn the bugger off or maybe you might even make friends. We have in great part lost the best part of the camping experience of finding common, or divergent, ground with our neighbors. We are the poorer for it.

If you want bird noises find a place where you can get away from the unavoidable accoutrements of public campgrounds, which I have been known to do myself on occassion.

What do you other streamers out there think?

Sincerely,
Just another cynical ex-hippy now working for the establishment
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Honda generators - $$$

I saw Honda 1000 and 2000 for $699 and $899 respectively at "Tool Crib of the North" over Christmas. Pretty good prices. They had the 3000 too, but I don't remember the price there.

I like that idea of a used one. Will keep my eyes out for one.

The Champion is US made. In Nebraska (Hastings?).

On the cheap side of things, Menards has a 750 watt for $129. Good to maintain batteries (and little else?). I expect it is a Chinese knockoff.

Dwight
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16595

The Champion is US made. In Nebraska (Hastings?).
Dwight
My Champion C46535 Catalog says the corporate offices are in Duarte CA and clearly says Made In China
Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
update

so today I picked up a used Honda eu1000 for $450.

It's a start and hopefully not too obnoxious, now if only it would warm up so I can go camping....rrrrrrr
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #38
_

. , .
good find gowyn!

while u are waiting for better weather...

change the oil to mobil 1 syn,

inspect the spark plug, clean the air filter and the spark arrestor? other carbonized bits...

IF you didn't get an owners manual it is available online as a pdf file...

these babies are hard to start at temps below 35-40 so warm her up indoors first!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #39
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I was thinking of going to Mobile 1 in my EU1000. I have about 40 hours on it now, do you think that is too soon to switch. I have been waiting for 5,000 miles on my new truck to do the same.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #40
_

. , .
hi azfly'

i went to m-1 10w/30 with the first batch of oil...

and have used 5w/30 in the cold season.

the local honda mower/genset dealer said it was ok to start with syn

i don't think these things need a run in period,

and there is no mention of it in the owners manual.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Wise sales has the 2000ie Honda for 865 no shipping or sales tax (to Fla). They shipped quick no games. They also sell a 6 gal extended run tank that will run two gen sets. No getting up to re fill if you are running the AC through the night. I think the Honda's are the only ones that can use the extended run tanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Slighty different stroke here. I bought a generator i could afford, that would run the a/c in the heat. Found out it is TOO LOUD for me or even patient neighbors. Anybody had any (successful) luck in boxing the things with foam or something to quiet it down, without overheating the unit? I'm thinking a couple increasing sizes of plywood boxes but haven't thought out the ventilation yet. Maybe tall, open topped boxes might work.