Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Go Power! Charge Controller Stops Charging

I have a Go Power solar panel, I believe 110W, and a Go Power GP-PWM-30 (30A) charge controller. This setup is charging two wet cell Interstate group 24 batteries in the factory configuration. The panel was installed by the A/S factory and the controller is a Go Power factory replacement for the original 25A Controller.

The problem I'm having is this; the system will randomly stop functioning correctly. It will go into a mode where it will only trickle charge the battery at 0.5 amps max and not come out of that mode even if I enable the boost feature on the controller, which is supposed to make it charge at max current. It stays in this mode regardless of battery voltage level until I disconnect and reconnect the batteries. Then the controller starts functioning normally again for some (seemingly) random period of time.

I do not believe this is just the controller thinking the battery is fully charged since the battery voltage, even on the controller panel itself, was well below 12.6V when I checked it today. The controller is not obviously hung up when this happens. The buttons to cycle through the various displays still work.

I assume that disconnecting the batteries is resetting the controller. After I disconnected and reconnected the batteries, the controller immediately started charging at about 5.8 Amps in partial sun.
I replaced the previous controller due to similar behavior, so I'm beginning to think that it may not be the controller.

I store my A/S offsite and normally have the battery disconnect off when the system is in storage, so only the solar panels, controller, and batteries are in the circuit.

Thanks,

Stan
BRN 1221, S/OS #024, KK4PF

2005 30' Classic S/O
2016 Silverado K2500
stanp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Stan,

Here's a couple of suggestions:

1. Have you checked that all the connections are secure?
2. Measure the input voltage to the converter when you see this problem again.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Stan,

Here's a couple of suggestions:

1. Have you checked that all the connections are secure?
2. Measure the input voltage to the converter when you see this problem again.
Al,

I know that the connections at the controller are good, but need to check the connections at the panel.

I measured the input voltage at the charge controller last time this happened, and the input voltage was the same as the output voltage. I don't exactly remember the value, but it was around 12.6 Volts.

The next time it happens, I'll try to take more careful measurements.

Stan

2005 30' Classic S/O
2016 Silverado K2500
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Stan,

So the input voltage sounds a bit low. Perhaps you can measure it with the charger off, and then with the charger on? Take note of the current charging the battery. Perhaps there's a high impedance in the input circuit.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Al,

With the batteries disconnected, the panel voltage was about 20v.

Somehow, the pannel was being shunted to groung by the controller, and I was just seeing the battery voltage on the pannel side.

I read online that if the controller detects no battery connected, it can do this sort of thing as a safety measure.

I'm now wondering if perhaps when I use the battery disconnect switch to turn off most of the loads in the trailer while in storage, the controller might be sensing a momentary disconnect from the battery and shutting down. I haven't had a chance to test this theory, but hope to do so today.

Stan

2005 30' Classic S/O
2016 Silverado K2500
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Stan,

Curious to how you made out?

I'm assuming your solar controller is wired directly to the batteries, so adding or shedding loads shouldn't affect it.

Here's a good guide that might help you in trying to figure out what's going on. You confirmed the open-circuit test, perhaps you might try the short-circuit test with an ammeter to see if the solar panels and wiring leading to the controller are capable of supplying power. Make sure you disconnect the connections to your controller before trying this.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Stan,

Curious to how you made out?

I'm assuming your solar controller is wired directly to the batteries, so adding or shedding loads shouldn't affect it.

Here's a good guide that might help you in trying to figure out what's going on. You confirmed the open-circuit test, perhaps you might try the short-circuit test with an ammeter to see if the solar panels and wiring leading to the controller are capable of supplying power. Make sure you disconnect the connections to your controller before trying this.
Al,

Thanks,

I've saved the guide and will test when I get the chance.

I did go to the camper this past weekend to fix a couple of other things, and looked at the system while I was there. Unfortunately it was cloudy pretty much the entire weekend here. The system was fully charged, and was charging at 0.3 amps in a fairly heavy overcast, which I would say is about right. I didn't try turning the disconnect swithch on and off, because with the low output, I thought it might be hard to tell if the system was working or not.

When the system is working, it seems to work just fine. Of course with the battery fully charged, the system would not be expected to put out much current.

This is an intermittent problem, which is not presenting itself at the moment, so unless I can figure out how to make it recur, it may be hard to solve. While it's possible that it is the controller, I've had the same problem with two controllers. The lack of info about this online, makes me think it is probalby not the controller. I'm guessing that it is something in the wiring. I assume that they used the A/S solar prewire from the factory. Maybe the next step would be to check the connections, particularly at the battery side.

Another odd thing is that every time this has occured the trailer has been parked for a substantial period of time. So that makes me think it's probalby not some issue with wiring rubbing and shorting out.

Thanks,

Stan

2005 30' Classic S/O
2016 Silverado K2500
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Stan, a poor connection on the solar side at either end may explain your symptoms. Report back when you have more time and the conditions are favorable.