Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamJOY
I get the STAT part But how noisy is it??
it is so quiet, you can stand next to it while it is running, and converse in a normal manner (no raising your voice).
Our 2000 is only loud when running wide open, and if it is under enough load to be doing that, you probably have enough stuff on in the trailer to drown out the noise.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
The 80 watt panel is maybe 25 lbs tops it is about 28" wide by about 40" tall. Very easy to move around. I usually carry it in the TV but it could be in the trailer.

And sorry Door but there are hookups at Casini so I won't have the panel, just the charge controler and wires LOL

Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Joy, I was like you, I didn't want the mess and bother of a generator. However, I decided to give the Honda EU2000 a try. Far and away, it is the best decision I have made with respect to Airstreaming. The EU2000 weighs about 47 lbs., is quiet, especially in Economy Mode (which we always run it in), and we only need to use it about 1-2 hours per day. Mostly we use it in the morning to power the coffeemaker, the microwave oven, and hair dryer. If you go with the EU1000, it won't have enough power to drive some microwaves and hair dryers, and maybe some coffeemakers. In the evening, we use it about 1 hour while Sandra is making dinner to run the microwave or electric grill. While we are able to use it to power the higher watt appliances, while it is idling, it is also charging the trailer batteries. Now for batteries. We have two in our Excella. To convert 12 volt batteries to 110volt for the TV/laptop, we use a 170 watt inverter that cost us about $60. It plugs into the "cigarette lighter style" plug in the trailer. Starting with full batteries, we can power our 17" JVC TV for nearly 10 hours without the generator before the inverter beeps telling us the battery charge is getting low. To conserve battery power, we turn most of the house lights off while we are using the inverter. Running the Honda EU2000 2 hours per day consumes about a quart of gasoline. You won't be sorry if you go with the Honda generator. We are part of a very large group who think it is the best solution. Also it works even if it is cloudy, rainy or snowing.

Also, consider that at lot of times you will want to be in the shade where you camp. In the summer heat, we look for the shadiest sites available. Sometimes there just aren't spaces out in the sun like at Smokey Mountain National Park. Talk about being deep, dark, in the woods!

The generator gives us the freedom to boondock whenever there is cheap or free camping available, no matter what the weather is doing.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
I saw this at Costco...they also have other "portable" power sources.
If all you want is to power a tv and computer this might work.
Costco - Xantrex™ XPower™ Powerpack Solar
Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Bakersfield , California
thanks Bob-

I guess in my mind..and the image is there from childhood and LOUD generators..I just wanted peace and quiet when camping. I definately see advantages to a Honda set up..it would also give me some time to learn more..see more..and make a good decision for me..Hey, I did not think I could pull a trailer- not to mention back one up..and I DID IT!!
airstreamJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
this is an option-

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
I saw this at Costco...they also have other "portable" power sources.
If all you want is to power a tv and computer this might work.
Costco - Xantrex™ XPower™ Powerpack Solar
Thanks- this would work especially for extended computer use on the road- thanks-
Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Joy, we wanted and did install two 130 watt Kyocera panels on our 25' CCD, a modern MPP (maximum power point) charge controller and upgraded batteries two MK-Deka Gels, for dry camping and boondocking. The system works very well, especialy here in Southern California, however, there are those time when we still need to supplement with our Honda EU2000i generator. Multiple cold winter nights where the furnace runs off and on all night or a couple of days of rain and heavy clouds can take its toll on our batteries even in sunny California, Arizona and other warm weather desert states.

I would echo the comments of others to get a Honda EU2000i or a comparable Yamaha inverter gernerator as a first step. Either brand is quiet and light enough for Gail to carry so you could carry one too. A gallon of gas can easily run over ten hours unless you constantly have a heavy load on it such as the microwave and other devices on at the same time. That gives you time to look at various solar panel installations on other Airstreams and either decide to go with a roof top mounted system which can hardly be seen or find a portable panel system you don't mind carting around and setting up.

If you like I'll upload some pictures of our system on the 25' CCD and the 50 watt system on our first Airstream, a 22' CCD. The 22 had a single 50 watt panel and an extra battery but there was room on the roof for another and I would recommend a minimum of 100 watts, about the max you can fit on the roof of the 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamJOY
I guess in my mind..and the image is there from childhood and LOUD generators..I just wanted peace and quiet when camping. I definately see advantages to a Honda set up..it would also give me some time to learn more..see more..and make a good decision for me..Hey, I did not think I could pull a trailer- not to mention back one up..and I DID IT!!

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
Joy, we wanted and did install two 130 watt Kyocera panels on our 25' CCD, a modern MPP (maximum power point) charge controller and upgraded batteries two MK-Deka Gels, for dry camping and boondocking. The system works very well, especialy here in Southern California, however, there are those time when we still need to supplement with our Honda EU2000i generator. Multiple cold winter nights where the furnace runs off and on all night or a couple of days of rain and heavy clouds can take its toll on our batteries even in sunny California, Arizona and other warm weather desert states.

I would echo the comments of others to get a Honda EU2000i or a comparable Yamaha inverter gernerator as a first step. Either brand is quiet and light enough for Gail to carry so you could carry one too. A gallon of gas can easily run over ten hours unless you constantly have a heavy load on it such as the microwave and other devices on at the same time. That gives you time to look at various solar panel installations on other Airstreams and either decide to go with a roof top mounted system which can hardly be seen or find a portable panel system you don't mind carting around and setting up.

If you like I'll upload some pictures of our system on the 25' CCD and the 50 watt system on our first Airstream, a 22' CCD. The 22 had a single 50 watt panel and an extra battery but there was room on the roof for another and I would recommend a minimum of 100 watts, about the max you can fit on the roof of the 22.
Hi Don- I would love some pictures, for the 22' CCD so I can see exactly what you had, and how it was configured..I have come to the conclusion- that a small Honda converter would probably be my best option for right now- as you said-as a first step- and spend some time talking and researching..thanks for your comments! You are actually a pretty close neighbor!!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
2airishuman - you rock - always great information so well laid out
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Wise sales sells the Honda line for the best price with no games. I like the small quiet gensets like the Honda 2000. You may also want to get a 12 volt power supply for your computer and TVs the LCD type some come with a 12 volt converter so they actually run on 12 volt and the converter they come with steps them down to 12 volt. The Inverters are good but they are not very efficient and any of the doodads you can run directly of the 12 volt supply the more battery life you will be able to save.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I have included pictures from a couple of different angles. For the most part you can't even see the 50 watt panel behind the front ceiling vent unless you have a high vantage point where you can see the top of the roof. You might note that the panel just seems to blend into the other equipment up there in the last two photos. It also gives you an idea why have both solar and generators make sense. These were all from our first ever Airstream trip to Joshua Tree NP!

I seemed to remember that I measured the space between the panel and the street side drip rail and I was planning to install another panel for 100 watts total.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000711_2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	53552   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000721_2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	53553  

Name:	P1000760_2.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	53554   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000761_2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	53555  

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I was able to fit larger panels on our 25' CCD, 130 watts each with a much more modern controller that the dealer used on our 22'.

Note the controller indicating a 10 amp charge, I was trying out our new 12 volt lunch box cooker that we picked up at a truck stop. Chili and wieners were steaming and ready to eat in 30 minutes.

Lastly, I say this tongue in cheek, one picture shows the wind power mock up I considered and while the diesel Cummins had the oomph to pull it I thought it was too unwieldily unless I was able to find newer and more compact technology. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I give a complete slide show on our solar installation at ham radio clubs and Airstream rallies and I try to include a little humor in the program.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solar_022.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	53556   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_024.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	53557  

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	53558  

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #27
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Moto;
Is that a campsite at Joshua NP? All paved so you can install the chains in order to leave? Did Toyota use your trailer for their new commercial? I looks like the same place.
Joy;
We camp for 2 weeks at a time at state parks with no hookups, I have the small Honda 1000,works just fine, will operate Linda Lu's hair drier,the Barista espresso machine and other items drawing under 1000 watts.I run the generator everyother day for an hour or so but we do not use the tele or putor while enjoying the great outdoors.
Truthfully I'm more concerned with the liquid in my tanks while boondocking than I am with electrical dodads.!
I'm trying to pick up on motomans humor, I'm thinking he should use the wind machine to the extreme right in his picture, he could roof mount it and use his batt to power it up and give his rig a little turbo boost while ender way and then at destination use it as designed to recharge the batts or pump his tanks dry.
P.S. Joy, check out theCAsini Forum Rally site, Russian River is quite nice and an easy tow for you.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
DoorGunner, it was in the Jumbo Rocks Campground on the left about 1/3 of the way in. It was our first Airstream trip, Veterans Day Weekend 2004. We didn't know how things worked, if the batteries would last through a day and a night of using the furnace, whether the snow would continue, etc. Obviously solar was no help in these conditions. We had no gloves, boots or winter clothing; It's Southern California, who needs those things in the desert! We tried to drive into Twentynine Palms to buy a small Honda generator but turned around when we saw that the Rangers weren't letting people back in the park. We weren't going to leave our brand new Airstream in the campground overnight or until they opened the park again.

I'll have to watch the Toyota commercial again, I thought it might be one of the new Sports. We have hauled our trailer in 15 miles or so on similar roads but we don't make the speed they did behind the Toyota. It must have something to do with the California lifestyle; everything has to happen now, now, now and the fact that they don't have to fix and put the Airstream back together.

I haven't seen an area like the one used in the commercial with dirt roads in Joshua Tree, especially where they would let you or a film crew set up a campsite in the dirt. I was thinking it was in the Mojave Desert up near Hole in the Wall Campground somewhere but it might have been just outside the park to the north in the Pinto Mountains. There are some other areas in the desert, Coon Hollow or Wiley's Well off I-10 to the east or some of the off road areas near Luceren Valley but we haven't been to any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Moto;
Is that a campsite at Joshua NP? All paved so you can install the chains in order to leave? Did Toyota use your trailer for their new commercial? I looks like the same place.
Joy;
We camp for 2 weeks at a time at state parks with no hookups, I have the small Honda 1000,works just fine, will operate Linda Lu's hair drier,the Barista espresso machine and other items drawing under 1000 watts.I run the generator everyother day for an hour or so but we do not use the tele or putor while enjoying the great outdoors.
Truthfully I'm more concerned with the liquid in my tanks while boondocking than I am with electrical dodads.!
I'm trying to pick up on motomans humor, I'm thinking he should use the wind machine to the extreme right in his picture, he could roof mount it and use his batt to power it up and give his rig a little turbo boost while ender way and then at destination use it as designed to recharge the batts or pump his tanks dry.
P.S. Joy, check out theCAsini Forum Rally site, Russian River is quite nice and an easy tow for you.

SNU #157
FCU #004