Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Interesting info....

Note that you can actually parallel regular generators, as they will self-synchronize . This is what the power grid does.

Generator synchronization (John De Armond)

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Oops, I was a bit fast and loose with the schematic. This one is correct, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen-mod2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	105256

I looked at the thread and realized I didn't put any data in regarding how closely matched the windings were. It turns out the voltage was less than 1/2 volt and the resistance of the windings were near two ohms. So the circulating current is on the order of 1/4 Amp, or 25 Watts. That amount of heat can be easily dissipated by a small generator and is way less than what is being dissipated when there is an external load of 3,000 Watts (500 Watts).

Bart, thanks for the synchronization info. I always wondered how the big guys did that. Makes perfect sense, but I never would have thought of it.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Making this modification is a bit tricky, since it's mostly a mechanical problem of identifying the ends of the windings. Note that on my generator, each winding had two wires, so there are a total of 4 wires, but each pair are soldered together to create two windings.

In the top drawing below, the basic generator consists of two windings, each delivering 115 volts. In order to provide 240 volts (the second drawing), the windings are connected in series via the green wire (that's a notional green wire. In practice the ends of the windings are close enough together that they can be directly connected).

To double the current at 115 volts, you need to put the windings in parallel (third drawing). You will need to study the wires until you can identify the two windings and the connection between them. Sever that connection and reconnect the windings in parallel. If you screw up and connect the windings anti-parallel, eg, backwards, you'll get zero output and the generator will either blow the breakers or will overheat very quickly (but not instantaneously, so you will have 10 or 15 seconds to figure it out).

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator modification-page-001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	214444

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote