Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
It has been my understanding that CO and LPG detectors for RVs are designed to withstand rougher conditions (vibration, temperature range, operate on 12 VDC, etc) than those for in home use.
This might not be much of an issue if your RV is mostly stationary at an RV Park with 120 VAC hook ups, but if you are a traveler, occasional boondockers or camper at State & Federal campgrounds with out hook-ups
I would go for a detector that is designed specifically for RV use.

BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
I think the only way you can beat peace of mind as far as the detectors go is test them frequently.

the breakfast test in the morning ( BURNT TOAST) which happens a lot in our unit.

the LP test I will use my little propane soldering tank for this one ( this only happens once a year).

the CO test this is just about imposible, as these units take samples for 10min. (I beleave) to prevent faulse alarms.

I once stuck a CO detector in a garbage bag and stuck it on the exhaust of my running car, 15min. later the alarm went off. didnt instill much confidence in me at the time.

be safe

letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Today I recieved in the mail my order for a SAFE-T-ALERT #70-742 Duel-Carbon Monoxide & Propane Gas Alarm. It is for RVs, 12v, flush mount (3"x4" cut out). Says to mount no more than 20" from the floor in the sleeping area. No more camping without it ! Regular price was $139.00 got it on sale for $99.00 Did a Google search for co & propane detectors.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
I had to disconnect our LPG detector because a fart will set it off (really) or lighting the oven pilot light. The thing is so loud you can't think or stand to be around it to shut it up. Why did they put it so close, like two feet away from the oven.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
During an outing in November I had a similar experience with our Honda generators. They were located near the front of the AS and the CO detector is in the rear of the trailer in the rear berth.

Well about 10:00 PM the detector went off and I nearly jumped out the window; however we went into 'safety mode' and opened up the AS to air it out. In addition we relocated the generators. The wind had shifted and the fumes were being blown right under the trailer. Once under the trailer they worked their way up into the cabin.

Be careful out there....I know I learned a valuable lesson about checking batteries, etc on our detectors.

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote