Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The Yamaha EF2800i was REALLY LOUD compared to all the other Honda & Yamaha generators. I can't believe they consider it an RV generator on the web site, the factory rep did not. He described it as regular contractor grade and couldn't wait to turn it off.

The 2400, 2800 and 3000 all have the same 171cc engine, but the 2800 doesn't have it's muffler and there was no effort to quiet it down. Anything but the smallest load revved it up to it's 67dBA roar, so I suspect it lacks the advanced electronics also.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Generator Update

I could not find anyone to order my Yamaha EF2400iSHC and get it at "internet prices within the next two weeks" - so my friends at my local motor shop did have a Yamaha EF3000iSEB in stock and matched the online prices. Extra $95.00 and I've got full warranty for six years, heck ya!

Purchased it - used it for 4 1/2 hours today and Love It !!!

Was afraid it was going to weigh too much for me - but I've figured out how to move it about - and I'm even happier because I can run my Air/Heat Pump along with everything else (but for heat - rather use the good ole' furnace) - nice to know I can run the air conditioner during the hot muggy summer months (depending on where I am at) plus now I have plenty of power for when I'm at altitude!!!.

Yamaha makes a great product, mine is very quiet, sips fuel, and the boost function allows it to put out 3500 watts for up to ten seconds, - and the best part is that it matches the Airstream!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, John. Show us how you managed to move your new Yamaha around. Also My Yamaha goes good with the blue stripes on my trailer. What was your overnight decision to go from Honda to Yamaha; Just curious and not wanting to start a Honda / Yamaha battle. For those of us who chose the Yamaha 2400, it's self explanatory.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Happy SuperBowl Sunday!

DISCLAMIER - This is coming from a Honda/Acura lover who before he could afford the "German" brands always went with the "H or A" for vehicle purchases due to their reliability, features, etc. - so it would be a true statement that Honda had a nice head start when I commenced my search for a generator...

The Yamaha EF2400iSHC fills a nice "nitch" that the Honda range of generators does not cover - the EF2400iSHV is a little bigger than the Yamaha & Honda 2K generators (both which can be combined for higher capacity). This was going to be my choice - light enough to "man-handle" - enough power for everything except for the A/C unit.

But I really wanted to have the ability to run my A/C unit if so desired but only drag one generator around - not two Honda's or Yamaha's and some cross cables, etc...

So again - Yamaha has a generator that matches up pretty well with Honda's 3k offering - but there is also a Yamaha 3k generator with "Boost" technology - mimics a 3500 watt generator for up to 10 seconds using the built in battery - another Yamaha generator that is not offered by Honda - for me this was a perfect match of features to weight to cost!

Decided on the EF2400iSHC but wanted a 3k generator - when I couldn't find the EF2400iSHC for the price I wanted and time line - thinking a bit harder I figured out how to overcome lifting the larger 3k generators - at that point for me the Yamaha EF3000iSEB due to it's "Boost" technology was again the easy choice. Yamaha just had two models that had features that the Honda's didn't offer!

When I first started out, was pretty sure I was going to end up with a "Red" generator - discovered the "Blue" guys and their ability to match "generator feature to generator feature" with Honda - with a few Yamaha models (such as their EF2400iSHC & EF3000iSEB generators) that have features Honda does not yet offer.

And I like the BLUE better than the RED as it matches the Airstream...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I also figured out how to move these Honda and Yamaha 3000-watt generators. Apparently this bike balances itself without a kick stand so rolling up and down the ramp of the truck should be easy. The cool factor is right up there at the top of the scale and you have to drag around a bunch of gas anyway for the generators. Let's see, I can't think of a downside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-BMW-K-1600-GTL-01.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	121555  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And how did I talk myself into going with a larger 3k generator over the smaller 2k units while being mindful of the heavier weight of the more powerful generators?

I was fearful of a 3k generator due to its weight (the Honda & Yamaha light weight 3k generators are waaaay toooo noisy). What if at some point I'm unable to lift these heavy 3k generators in and out of the bed of my truck - what do folks do with heavier equipment - getting it into and out of the truck - there had to be a solution out there...

For me for right now - I'm just lifting the Yamaha EF3000iSEB around as I'm a pretty big guy - but when that gets old (or I get too old) I'm looking at ordering this 30lb baby -->Spitzlift Aluminum Crane <-- right size, takes seconds to hook into the hitch receiver, and very light weight - only down side is a bit expensive but now I can go with my bigger generator, and when it gets too heavy for me or I'm sick of lifting it in and out of that mighty high F-350 4x4 bed I have an option....

Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #27
_

. , .
there is at least 1 thread JUST on this genset model...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tml#post313039

and many of lifting/transport the bigger units ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tml#post518117

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tml#post667990

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tml#post411576

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ave-33613.html

common issues, LOTS of threads and lots of good solutions posted already...

go fish, but throw back the little ones.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
In this scene, Wally (JFScheck) and Eddie (JBinKC) are cutting up in the Beav's room when Mrs. Cleaver (2Air) comes in.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Damn - I'm busted again...

Sorry guys for going "Off Topic" here - sometimes in my exitement to reply - I lose track of the subject matter of the "Thread" for which I'm posting too...

I am getting better - especially referencing folks to the proper threads as per subject via hyperlinks...

So - I ask that we add the "emotion icon" Off Topic - it can also be known as the "John F. Scheck Emotion Icon" - at least for this quarter...

Damn, am I Off Topic once again?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
In this scene, Wally (JFScheck) and Eddie (JBinKC) are cutting up in the Beav's room when Mrs. Cleaver (2Air) comes in.

BTW - that is funny as heck!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I've had the Yamaha YG2800i for some time (it subsequently became the 2400 when they added additional sound suppression, but same engine, etc.). My air conditioner stated it needed 2500 watts available for starting current so that is why I acquired this unit over the Honda. I subsequently purchased a larger Airstream with a larger air conditioner. The starting current is substantially greater than the running current for an Air Conditioner.

Now if your trailer battery has been in use then as soon as power is provided to the trailer it will start to recharge the batteries via the converter. (The converter will thus draw any where from 600 to 1000 watts to start charging your battery(ies)).

Because of this heavy hotel load, in addition to the large starting current for the air conditioning, I open the 110v.breaker that supplies the converter, then start the generator and supply the trailer and start the air conditioner. Once the air conditioner is started I then re-close the breaker to the converter as the generator can then supply both the air conditioner and all normal loads (don't try to light off the microwave with the air conditioner and converter going though as it will overload a small generator).

If you are not running the air conditioner, none of this is required. The bottom line is just manage your 110v AC loads so that they don't exceed the size of your generator (but don't forget to allow for the converter load which is recharging your battery(s)).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Great post, Jim. I realize now that I set up similar overload situations in cold climes with the electric hot water heater, heat pump and inverter, whether on shore power or a generator. Thank you for the terrific clarifying insight. And for your first post, you've hit a bases-loaded homerun.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Worth mentioning..

Even though it has been mentioned it other threads.

If you set the air conditioning unit to full tilt cold, it will limit the number
of times that the AC unit will turn off and on. ( suggesting this only as a way to manage power draw, not suggesting using an under powered generator )

I wonder why they don't make an RV air conditioner that won't self destruct
when using 15 amp, 110 volt power source. They make home window units
that don't need much power. What the heck???????
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I agree. That was a really good post, Jim. Also, Jim, I notice that this is your first post. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

One additional thing that I do when my generator power is marginal is I put the refrigerator over to gas.

Some people have installed hard start capacitors on the air conditioning units. I understand that this significantly reduces the amp draw on start up. I don't know first hand whether this works or not. Maybe someone with chime in with first hand knowledge.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, honda, yamaha, generator