Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Damn - I'm busted again...

Sorry guys for going "Off Topic" here - sometimes in my exitement to reply - I lose track of the subject matter of the "Thread" for which I'm posting too...

I am getting better - especially referencing folks to the proper threads as per subject via hyperlinks...

So - I ask that we add the "emotion icon" Off Topic - it can also be known as the "John F. Scheck Emotion Icon" - at least for this quarter...

Damn, am I Off Topic once again?

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
In this scene, Wally (JFScheck) and Eddie (JBinKC) are cutting up in the Beav's room when Mrs. Cleaver (2Air) comes in.

BTW - that is funny as heck!!!

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I've had the Yamaha YG2800i for some time (it subsequently became the 2400 when they added additional sound suppression, but same engine, etc.). My air conditioner stated it needed 2500 watts available for starting current so that is why I acquired this unit over the Honda. I subsequently purchased a larger Airstream with a larger air conditioner. The starting current is substantially greater than the running current for an Air Conditioner.

Now if your trailer battery has been in use then as soon as power is provided to the trailer it will start to recharge the batteries via the converter. (The converter will thus draw any where from 600 to 1000 watts to start charging your battery(ies)).

Because of this heavy hotel load, in addition to the large starting current for the air conditioning, I open the 110v.breaker that supplies the converter, then start the generator and supply the trailer and start the air conditioner. Once the air conditioner is started I then re-close the breaker to the converter as the generator can then supply both the air conditioner and all normal loads (don't try to light off the microwave with the air conditioner and converter going though as it will overload a small generator).

If you are not running the air conditioner, none of this is required. The bottom line is just manage your 110v AC loads so that they don't exceed the size of your generator (but don't forget to allow for the converter load which is recharging your battery(s)).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Great post, Jim. I realize now that I set up similar overload situations in cold climes with the electric hot water heater, heat pump and inverter, whether on shore power or a generator. Thank you for the terrific clarifying insight. And for your first post, you've hit a bases-loaded homerun.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Worth mentioning..

Even though it has been mentioned it other threads.

If you set the air conditioning unit to full tilt cold, it will limit the number
of times that the AC unit will turn off and on. ( suggesting this only as a way to manage power draw, not suggesting using an under powered generator )

I wonder why they don't make an RV air conditioner that won't self destruct
when using 15 amp, 110 volt power source. They make home window units
that don't need much power. What the heck???????
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I agree. That was a really good post, Jim. Also, Jim, I notice that this is your first post. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

One additional thing that I do when my generator power is marginal is I put the refrigerator over to gas.

Some people have installed hard start capacitors on the air conditioning units. I understand that this significantly reduces the amp draw on start up. I don't know first hand whether this works or not. Maybe someone with chime in with first hand knowledge.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote

comparison, honda, yamaha, generator