Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Generators For Lunch

I traded in a motorhome for my Airstream several years ago and we love the Airstream. The only thing I really miss about the motorhome was being able to pull off the road while traveling, push one button to fire up the generator, turn on the air conditioning, and have lunch in the motorhome. We live and travel mostly in the southern states and it gets too hot to do this without the AC. I would love to have an electric start Honda or Yamaha 3000 watt unit, mounted in the truck bed, but they won't fit under my Retrax truck bed cover. So I am looking at the two 2000 watt units. (I will only consider Honda or Yamaha products because of past experience). If I have to pull out 2 generators, hook up the parallel cable, pull out 30 A power cable and hook up, and pull the rope starts,and put it all back into the truck afterwards, I probably won't bother doing all of that just for an hour or so of AC. So, my question to the forum, to simplify all of this, is it feasible to secure the two generators in the back of the truck bed and have the parallel cable installed, so that all I have to do is hook up the 30 amp cable and start the two generators? Are there any negatives in running the two 2000 watt units in the truck bed? If any of you are doing this, do you have any tips on the best way to set all of this up and secure or mount the generators?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Maybe you need another motor home.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woodrow View Post
Maybe you need another motor home.
No thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
There are lockable mounts (not that you need lockable, but they would secure the generators) available that you could bolt down in the bed. You could also make a framework of some kind out of wood to hold them in place.

If the generators were in the rear of the bed and you pulled back the cover for ventilation while running, I don't see a problem. There shouldn't be a problem with leaving the parallel cables connected either, as that is the first thing you do when starting up and the last thing you do when shutting down. If you have a power connector up front, you could make a short cable to use for such stops.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
There are a couple of easy solutions. First, is the Honda 3000 only slightly higher than your tonneau? If so, the rubber feet on the genset can be removed. Then attach the generator frame tubes to a form-fit piece of 3/8th in. plywood that sits at the rear of the truck bed. A relatively short 30A cord then goes from the female connector on the front of the trailer to the generator.

The same concept works for the paired 2000i generators, but now you'll have no electric start. You can leave the pairing cables in-place. I suggest a small "rail" of 1 X 1 around the feet of these gens., nailed and glued to the plywood, will help keep them from shifting.

Properly sized to fit the floor of the truck bed, the plywood shouldn't move while in transit. Make a paper template before cutting the plywood. Thin rubber shelf liner glued to the bottom of the plywood further helps keep it from moving.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You could also consider a Champion 3500 inverter unit. It will fit under your cover.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
There are a couple of easy solutions. First, is the Honda 3000 only slightly higher than your tonneau? If so, the rubber feet on the genset can be removed. Then attach the generator frame tubes to a form-fit piece of 3/8th in. plywood that sits at the rear of the truck bed.
Some great suggestions, thanks. I only need 1 inch more clearance on the Honda 3000. I will measure the height of the rubber feet less the 3/8 inch and see if that will work. Do you think I won't have a vibration problem without the rubber feet and having it just sitting on the plywood? Otherwise, I like your suggestion for the 2000's.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Champion under truck top

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
You could also consider a Champion 3500 inverter unit. It will fit under your cover.
EXACTLY. One of the main reasons we chose this inverter model and brand from Costco with Duel Fuel, electric start, compact height nicely fitting under 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 touneau.

Duel Fuel (LP or Gas) model has electric start at the panel but confirm specific models for this.

There is a Gas only version offering a wireless remote start but no propane. Mfr says so that you are forced to be at LP tank-unit to open / close valves before/after use
not mistakenly leaving LP valve open for long periods. Makes sense.

Suspect while walking to trailer for lunch, in same amount of time after opening truck bed, turn LP talk valve, and press start button. Well worth it for the duel fuel. Far less exhaust and fumes than gas that could mess up any meal and no 5-10gal fuel cans to store, lug and pour.

LOVE OURS !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	279411  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
You may like this change in required number of generators,
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...rs-153360.html
Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Vantair: How loud is your Champion compared to the Yamaha and Honda 3000's or two 2000's?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I also have the Champion dual fuel. It fit under my bed cover where the Honda and Yamaha would not. It has run flawlessly for me. My opinion is that it idles slightly louder, but has a low mellowed tone under a heavy load. I think it is comparable with the red and blue brands I listed to. I bought it out of necessity (low height), but it has been very reliable so far.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I also have the Champion dual fuel. It fit under my bed cover where the Honda and Yamaha would not.
How do you load the Champion into your truck bed? Do you leave it in the bed throughout the trip? Do you lock it somehow in the bed while it is running and bed cover is open?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Mounting two hondas in the tv bed should be a relatively easy task, keeping them parallel connected is not an issue, but the real issue is can you drop your tail gate to get at the gennys while connected to trailer?
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Mounting two hondas in the tv bed should be a relatively easy task, keeping them parallel connected is not an issue, but the real issue is can you drop your tail gate to get at the gennys while connected to trailer?
Yes, I have a 3/4 ton Chevy truck and the tail gate will drop while connected. I will probably have to climb into the bed to be able to pull the start ropes because of the length of the tail gate.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I had thought about welding a little platform onto the tongue A-frame, on each side, to support an EU-2000i Honda, along with a little cage thing over it to prevent theft but allow it to breathe. That way, both gennies are there for the using.

I haven't done it yet because I never bought the second genny. But I'm convinced something like this would be a good route.

As you said, if it's too much pain in the rear, you won't do it. So it's better to make it easy.

I like the idea of finding a place (I know it's basically impossible) just ahead of the front axles of the trailer to mount a 7000 watt Honda genny and then not ever have to worry about anything. The 7000w isn't that much bigger than the 3000w....

I still think there's merit to a pair of 2000's on the tongue, paralleled together. If you work it out, please post pic's
Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Yes, I have a 3/4 ton Chevy truck and the tail gate will drop while connected. I will probably have to climb into the bed to be able to pull the start ropes because of the length of the tail gate.
I carry a Yamaha 2000i in my TV & my tail gate hits the Barker jack. I'll probably have that turned to facilitate a dropped gate. I also keep a 30amp extension cord plugged in the generator, I attach my AS cord to that & plug into the front electrical outlet in the trailer. With limited access because of 1/2 tail gate drop it helps the connection process.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Vantair: How loud is your Champion compared to the Yamaha and Honda 3000's or two 2000's?
Great point Roadtech. A REAL test would be side by side, same environmenthead to head. Haven't found that yet. However within a few acceptable decibels. Others feel the same. Originally thought I'd never be happy unless a red or blue. Did many a sound test at the 22ft distance camping and at home base.

As expected, running In the truck bed, very very acceptable and less than the majors on ground.

The 75db pic is Champion duel fuel gen running in truck bed at 22ft.

Even further out at 75ft, could barely here it with no other gens, no other road or camp noise around and end of season. Wow.

For reference , The 65db pic taken was the gen off. Opposite direction. Just peaceful nature and just slight breeze through trees.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3365.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	279460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3371.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	279461  

Old 02-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

PS. If one removes the gen rubber isolation feet to attach to mounting board and truck bed for size, expect increased vibration transfer and sound level increases far beyond the manufacturer specs.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Quote:
How do you load the Champion into your truck bed? Do you leave it in the bed throughout the trip? Do you lock it somehow in the bed while it is running and bed cover is open?

The Champion has two sturdy handles spaced for comfortable lifting. I turn the control side facing away from me and have the smooth backside of the generator facing me. Then I can lift it high enough to rest just one edge on the tailgate. Then all it takes is a simple nudge to slide the rest of it onto the tailgate. I am no muscle man by any means. I'm not trying to say it is light, but it is manageable. I have about an 8' long bike cable that I run through the handles and then lock it to a tie down loop in the bed. I leave it right near the back of the bed and just run it from there with the tailgate down and the plug run to the front of the Airstream. I only use propane in mine (no gas to ruin the carburetor). We use it mainly for lunch stops and rest breaks while on the road. It will run my A/C, refrigerator, battery charger, and the TV all at one time. If I want to use the microwave then I just turn off the A/C until I am done. It could possibly pull both at the same time, but I have not tried. When we are done I just unplug from the front of the trailer, shut the tailgate, and go. I have it sitting where nothing in the bed of the truck can get too close to the hot muffler end of the generator. We have a spray in bed liner and the rubber feet on the bottom of the Champion grip it very well. It does not slide around, but I run a small ratchet strap over it just to be safe. It does stay in the bed of the truck the whole time. My bed cover keeps it dry and out of site. Hope this helps. I will try to take a few pictures for you this weekend.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
The Champion has two sturdy handles spaced for comfortable lifting. I turn the control side facing away from me and have the smooth backside of the generator facing me. Then I can lift it high enough to rest just one edge on the tailgate. Then all it takes is a simple nudge to slide the rest of it onto the tailgate. I am no muscle man by any means. I'm not trying to say it is light, but it is manageable. I have about an 8' long bike cable that I run through the handles and then lock it to a tie down loop in the bed. I leave it right near the back of the bed and just run it from there with the tailgate down and the plug run to the front of the Airstream. I only use propane in mine (no gas to ruin the carburetor). We use it mainly for lunch stops and rest breaks while on the road. It will run my A/C, refrigerator, battery charger, and the TV all at one time. If I want to use the microwave then I just turn off the A/C until I am done. It could possibly pull both at the same time, but I have not tried. When we are done I just unplug from the front of the trailer, shut the tailgate, and go. I have it sitting where nothing in the bed of the truck can get too close to the hot muffler end of the generator. We have a spray in bed liner and the rubber feet on the bottom of the Champion grip it very well. It does not slide around, but I run a small ratchet strap over it just to be safe. It does stay in the bed of the truck the whole time. My bed cover keeps it dry and out of site. Hope this helps. I will try to take a few pictures for you this weekend.

This is exactly my setup and it works perfectly. I also bought the electric start dual fuel Champion 3500. I believe it is easily as quiet, if not better, than two Hondas running in parallel. Maybe just as quiet as one. We love the Champion and it has been very reliable so far. Plus, at $1150, it's way less expensive than two Hondas!
I also bought it because it would fit under my Retrax bed cover. The added bonus is the swing up handle and wheels for the occasional times it is out of the truck bed. Bike cable through a tie down and we are good to go.