Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Brecksville , Ohio
generators?

Longtime lurker, first time poster.
Generators...we are struggling with the thought of having to drop the $$ on the Honda 3000, although right now that is the preference. Honda and Yamaha are the only contenders, however trying to be penny-wise on the size actually needed.
We are weekend campers, eventually longer term residents on the road, but stuck behind a desk right now for the most part.
Suggestions, advice, and thoughts appreciated.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I just bought a Eu6500. Camping World in Tampa has their display model on sale for 2999 with zero hours. You can find some buys if you shop around. Call non Honda traditional dealers like electric suppliers who sell generators but aren't a "Honda" shop. Most places quote you MSRP but shop around.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'll second Tater's "keep an eye out." I hemmed and hawed about getting a generator and lucked out when a member of my WBCCI unit decided he needed a bigger yamaha than the lightly-used EU3000isEB that I bought from him for half the new price. I still need to get a "deer hoist" so I can easily load it in the truck by myself if I need to. That's the only shortcoming of the 3000-class units, they're not little suitcasey things like the 2ks, but they pay that back with nicer fuel capacity.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
There are many threads here discussing this topic. Check em out, they may be of help to you. Since you are just camping on weekends do you really need a generator. How often are you camping where ther is no power? Your battery should hold you for the week end. The only reason you would need a generator is the AC and depending on your location you may not need that.
For me the Honda 2KW with the companion unit does everything I need to do and it makes it light enough to handle. You can buy them at Camping World for 999.00 each less your member discount. Get an auxillary fuel tank for $160.00, much less if you build it yourself, and you have 4K of power for about 36 hours.
Good luck on finding what you need!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Brecksville , Ohio
Thanks for the input.

JRudd I found the sub tread for generators, and yes quite a bit of info.
Almost everywhere that we camp there are no electrical hookups...I guess we are too picky :-)
At times it will be important to run the A/C...a Siberian Husky is always in tow.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudd1968 View Post
There are many threads here discussing this topic. Check em out, they may be of help to you. Since you are just camping on weekends do you really need a generator. How often are you camping where ther is no power? Your battery should hold you for the week end. The only reason you would need a generator is the AC and depending on your location you may not need that.
For me the Honda 2KW with the companion unit does everything I need to do and it makes it light enough to handle. You can buy them at Camping World for 999.00 each less your member discount. Get an auxillary fuel tank for $160.00, much less if you build it yourself, and you have 4K of power for about 36 hours.
This was my choice too. In the winter I can get away with just one lightweight unit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
This won't be an expected response.

I also have a 66 , a TW, and I have opted to install a 5,000 btu/hr AC unit in the side window only when I need it. It will normally be in the bottom of a closet when it is not needed. I am using a 1,000 watt Honda genny to run it. I have not really tested it yet, but I plan to this weekend when it will be about 100 degrees. It may not cool the entire TW in the sun, but I am sure that it will cool the middle bedroom area even in 100 degree heat.

When I don't need the AC, and I have not needed it yet this year, I can go a weekend fine with just two golf cart batteries. I take my genny just in case, but I have not needed it yet. Stay tuned this weekend for photos and test results.

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Ditto on the Honda 2000 times 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudd1968 View Post
I just bit the bullet and ordered the same set up and the xtra fuel tank Tuesday night. I got them from WISESALES.com
I sure did not like spending the money but if you even think about boon docking in Florida, you have got to have it. Fedex says they will be here Saturday.
Took me 3 years to pull the trigger.
Good luck,
Joe
Old 07-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
I finally bit the bullet and bought the eu 2000i companion unit. My excuse was the bad weather and subsequent power failures here in the greater DC area this past Friday. I had to pay MSRP though due to the panic demand/run on generators
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You might do what we did... Buy a single Honda 2000w first...we got the Campanion model and bought the parallelling cables (about $40)...knowing that if we were camping somewhere and we REALLY needed AC there would be someone else with a Honda 2000 and we might be able to run them together and make a party trailer. We decided to go for a single unit first to figure out if we REALLY needed a 2nd...we got the 2nd one (the standard model) about 18 months later...now we are ready for anything...and when we know we won't need AC we can take the single and leave the other one at home. The weight and portability of the 2000w was also an important consideration for us. Together we got more power than the 3000, too, and can run everything we want and more.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
I finally bit the bullet and bought the eu 2000i companion unit. My excuse was the bad weather and subsequent power failures here in the greater DC area this past Friday. I had to pay MSRP though due to the panic demand/run on generators
You too? We live in Bowie and haven't had power since Friday night. Hope you're okay - we had three large branches come down right next to the Airstream, but all three missed it! (One was from our tree, the other two were from trees on other properties. It was QUITE a storm.)

We have a 2000 Companion unit we bought last fall, and I ordered the regular 2000 to go with it yesterday (it's a race to see what comes first - the second generator or BG&E power). It's a GREAT little generator. It's been generating its little heart out for this situation.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I took two Eu2000i's last year on 120 nights of camping. They each ran 30 hours but most of those hours were in my driveway on monthly startups. They take up one-fourth of my truck bed in their containers. I enjoy putzing around with them and I'm glad I have them for an emergency but my advice would be to save your money, space, weight and time by passing on these little beauties. And talk about a huge expense, wait until you see what an electrician will charge to wire your house for generators.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
And talk about a huge expense, wait until you see what an electrician will charge to wire your house for generators.
Shouldn't need to wire the house; I just run an extension cord from my "on-board" Onan Micorquiet 4000 through the garage door into the house and split it 3 ways to my 2 refrigerators and my computer.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Camping mostly DEC here in the NE, AC rarely needed.

One Honda 2000, LPG dual use conversion has filled our needs nicely.

Transported neatly in a 24gal Rubbermaid ActionPacker.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote