Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
HarborPowerHouse.com

Look at HarborPowerHouse.com in Benton Harbor, MI too...that's where we bought our second Honda 2000...good deal and no shipping or tax...at least when we bough it. We couldn't beat their price locally or anywhere else... We ordered it four days before we left for a trip and it arrived the day before we took off. Perfect timing. Good customer service. They will give you a quote via email or you can talk to them on the phone...we worked with Gary Grathwohl, who was the Gen Mgr. Would love it if someone else I sent bought from him...tell him Terry from Tucson sent you. He may remember me.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
A local equipment rental shop near us is also a Honda dealer. They periodically retire their rental units, and they give them an oil change and tuneup before selling them. You might be able to get a deal on one of these, from a local equipment rental shop.

They were very helpful when we were shopping for generators. We got to "test drive" a couple of models in the shop to determine which fit our needs (power and weight). Also, although we didn't do this, we thought about renting one for a weekend to try it out with our Bambi. Unfortunately (for them), we later purchased on the Internet; because they wouldn't match online prices.
Good recommendation, Phx... We have friends in Phoenix who used to rent a Honda 2000 from an equipment rental place when they needed one...it's a good way to try them out...then they bought a used one from them...and got a smokin' deal...saved quite a bit.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have never needed A/C, Minnesota in summer, Southwest in winter. We drag a Honda 2000 around but rarely need it. Even that's heavy. The Honda 1000 would do fine and be easier to handle.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have never needed A/C, Minnesota in summer, Southwest in winter. We drag a Honda 2000 around but rarely need it. Even that's heavy. The Honda 1000 would do fine and be easier to handle.

doug k
It's supposed to be 92 in Fargo today, sounds like AC weather to me. But yes, I do realize it's usually cool at night up there, unlike our 78F *low* last night. If I couldn't have AC I'd haul the trailer up to 8k-10k feet somewhere in NM or CO!

It's really the main reason I bought the Yamaha... I was told in no uncertain terms that we were never camping anywhere in the summer where we couldn't run the AC just in case!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lil Honda Saves the Day

Like about 3 million other folks in the middle atlantic area, we lost power last Friday.
Our situation was made more difficult in that my wife had just had hip surgery to replace a recalled Depuy metal on metal hip. We live in Lynchburg, VA and we were in Richmond, VA where she was in the hospital. She was scheduled to be discharged on Saturday, but we were able to delay that until Sunday when we hoped the power would be turned back on. No such luck. The AEP website indicated that power would not return to our location until about 6 days later. Yikes! Living in a home without power and the temperature in the high nineties and my wife just over very invasive hip surgery was not going to happen. Like most people, she just wanted to go home and be comfortable (cool).

So home we went knowing that we had a 1,000 watt Honda genny that would operate a 5,000 btu/hour air conditioner. It worked like a charm. It powered the air conditioner, two compact fluorescent lights, recharged our cell phones, powered our computer and the tv. We lost all the food in the fridge, since power had been off for 2 days, but had the Airstream available to use its refrigerator, stove and hot water. The AC cooled our bedroom down to 70 degrees by late the first evening. All in all it was quite successful. Having a 2,000 watt genny would have been better because maybe we could have run the fridge, but I used what I had, 1,000 watts, and it ran everything we needed to run and only went through 2.5 gallons of gas in 24 hours of operation. My wifes guardian angel was watching over her as power came back on by late Monday afternoon. We were only in the house without power for about 24 hours.

Our experience gives some credibility to my plan to boondock with my airstream and cool it using only a 5,000 btu/hr air conditioner.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Great to hear that you and your wife made it through this predicament, and that your Honda came through for you. From the national news, it appears you are lucky if all you lost was food in the refrigerator. Hope you had no damage to your home, Airstream or vehicles.

In Phoenix, our biggest potential problem is not the weather, but the nuclear power plant just west of town. Our Bambi is our emergency backup, too; but I hope we never have to use it for that, as spoiled food will be the least of our problems.

In any case, we wish you, your family and neighbors well during this weather crisis.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We hope your wife is recovering in comfort. Thank goodness for our Airstream "Escape Pod" here in Blacksburg as we used it in comfort during the power outage. We're very thankful we had it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Dan,

Glad things are looking up for you.

We went thru much the same back in 2006. Went a week without power. The 2000i was indispensable.

Speedy recovery for the DW.

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Brecksville , Ohio
Bit the bullet

Purchased the 2000i companion unit yesterday in preparation for the weekend. More than likely will just be running a window A/C unit for awhile...due to the face that our original roof top unit is being serviced.

Down the road I anticipate adding another 2000, especially when the larger A/C unit is up and running and/if we add more devices that pull power. However this should cover us until things get more complicated.

Lets all hope this weather cools off soon....be careful out there. The dogs are staying home this weekend...my husky hasn't left the tile floor near the central air vent all week.
julirisa6 is offline   Reply With Quote