Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

any experience with yamaha generators as opposed to the honda the 3000 in particular. i am also interested in propane conversion. any thoughts on that issue as well???? thanks folks

spikesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
I compared the Yamaha 1000 and 2000 with the Honda equivalents. I ended up buying a Honda 2000 in a very cheap group deal of ham radio folks and am completely happy with it, although I think the Yamahas are of equivalent performance and quality. Honda parts may be more expensive but more readily available.

I would like to do a propane conversion but at the moment there is not a good kit to recommend. A mechanic friend has spent a dozen hours trying to get a Honda 3000 to play nice with the US Carb kit but has just about given up. It runs fine on propane but getting it to start reliably without diddling was just not happening.

On another thread there is discussion of a new propane conversion outfit that might be usable where US Carb hasn't been. We'll see.

dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Haven't had any experience with the Hondas, but I have a Yamaha 3000iseb that I bought last year. It has been very handy for our needs of running the AC. It usually starts on the first pull and is very quiet. The only downside is the weight which makes it unhandy to load and unload. (but all 3000's are heavy) The Yamaha comes with wheels built in so moving it around in the back of the pickup is no problem. I run it from the back of the pickup bed when we are traveling. It is also pretty good on fuel usage. I have been very satisfied with it. I keep it locked down in the pickup bed with large cable and BIG locks. I also keep a blue Yamaha cover over it with a vinyl smoker grill cover over that. It makes it inconspicious and looks more like a covered up grill than a generator. Can't say anything about propane as all I use is the gas.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've got a big Yamaha (6500) for home backup use, and it is very reliable (and I like the electric start) though not terribly quiet. Bought it from a local company that both sells and uses both Honda and Yamaha generators in the field to run heavy electrical tools (concrete saws, etc.) at work sites. They have switched completely to Yamaha, as they report finding longer working life. I have friends with Hondas, and they too are happy with their machines. YMMV.

And I just bought a Yamaha 2800 from US Carburetion. They promised delivery within one month, but it arrived in less than a week. Have not even run it yet ... break-in, etc. will occur this coming weekend. I got it because a) it will satisfy most of my trailer needs and then some, and others report it will run smaller a/c units (if I were going to want to just recharge batteries while boondocking, etc., I would have bought a 1000 watt unit); b) it weighs little enough that I can pick it up and move it in and out of truck bed easily; c) it's small enough to fit beneath tonneau cover in bed of truck (3000 units from Yamaha and Honda won't); d) I'm happy with the larger Yamaha unit I already have; e) my truck is diesel and while I don't particularly want to carry a gasoline can, I've already got propane on the trailer; f) I'm having a gas line run at home for a new natural gas outdoor cooking grill, and I'll be able to run this unit on natural gas at home in case I want to / need to and if I should run out of gasoline for the larger unit in a long-term power outage, I can still keep food from spoiling, etc.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you a follow-up report after this weekend's break-in run and a trial run on propane.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the propane powered Yamaha 1000. I went this route cause I have a 15k BTU A/C unit and there was just no way do power it without a 3000+ watt genset or two 2000s. So my goal was to provide power to allow the converter/charger to keep the batteries going so that I can run my fantastic vents, etc. So far it's worked well with going that route and the 1000 has worked flawlessly. We also had a major storm last August, and it powered my house fridge, TV (32") CFL light and my neighbors sump pump for nearly 3 days.

I think the best part of the propane powered units is that with all that use I never emptied a 20lb tank, and I can in fact tap into the 30lb tanks on board rather than haul an additional tank if I choose....but the Yamaha has in itself been very reliable.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I have had a Yamaha 3000 iseb for about a year and am very happy with it. I like the Yamaha because it has the boost on it. I have it mounted in the front of the bed of the truck on a bed slide and vented through the roof of the cap and can run it with the truck totally locked. Planning on converting to propane soon.

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Yamaha propane remote start

I also have a yamaha 3000iseb in the back of my truck, also on a bedslide, and plan on running it from the back of my truck when parked or when driving so that i can cool down the trailer a while before stopping.
I have the us carburetion propane kit and the remote wireless start kit. I am having it installed at a shop in town and have received a call today that everything works great on gasoline but that unless you prime the propane start first the gen. Will crank but not start. {who wants to go out and prime the gen.?}
has anyone had this problem, if so is it fixable?
Thanks for any help

Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
I have the us carburetion propane kit and the remote wireless start kit. I am having it installed at a shop in town and have received a call today that everything works great on gasoline but that unless you prime the propane start first the gen. Will crank but not start. {who wants to go out and prime the gen.?}
has anyone had this problem, if so is it fixable?
Thanks for any help

That is apparently the common problem. A very expert engine mechanic friend of mine has spent about a dozen hours trying to make the US Carb kit work on a Honda, same issue. Runs fine once primed, nothing he can do and nothing mentioned in the manual about getting it to *start* on propane. Of course that makes it a sort of *non-starter* ... Apparently there is some conflict between the advanced throttle system of these inverter generators and the propane regulation. Maybe there needs to be a kit that opens the propane valve for xx seconds while the starter is running.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
We began our Airstream adventure with the Yamaha which we still own. It's a wonderful unit with exception of the weight. My wife couldn't help me lift it into the bed of our TV so we purchased aluminum ramps to roll it up into the bed and that worked fine until we upgraded our AC unit from 13K BTUs to 15K and then the 3000 wouldn't pull the AC and other appliances at the same time. We now utilize two Honda 2000s linked and also supplied with fuel from an external 6gal fuel tank that powers both units for hours without need for refueling. The portability and easy handling of the Hondas made them very attractive. Both Honda and Yamaha are wonderfully quiet and if you know of anyone who wants a good buy on a "Like New" Yamaha let me know. All it needs is a new battery for electric starting even though she starts up on a first pull of the rope every time. The oil has been changed regularly and the fuel always run dry for any storage. She probably has less than fifty hours logged and comes with a dust cover. Sweet!

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote