Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Generator Usage

There is one main time I can see using the generator and that is to run the air conditioner when there is no electric hook up.
With that in mind, I could foresee using the air when stopped for a quick snooze at a rest area or road side rest or a truck stop when it's hot even at night. Do any of you use yours when traveling and stop for a rest in a public place? Is it acceptable? Against the law? Or, would you not want to put the generators next to the trailer for fear of theives? I have never seen anyone doing this, so I am wondering what all of you think about it,
and how and when do you use your generators?
Thanks.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well,

In my case, by the time I got the genset out, got it running and hooked up and waited for cool down, especially in the heat of the day, I would either be toasted or I would have burned half a gallon of gas in my tv waiting...

Pretty much, my generator is for those dry camping expeditions (Cape Hatteras, Everglades, Acadia...) where a couple of hours a day recharging will provide all my house needs.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
I have a Honda 3000 ei mounted above the horizontal bottles ac power to gen is transfered at the interior power panel, we us the genny when we are on the road, for battery charging, cooking, heaters, TV and A/C. in the daylight we will stop at roadside rest stops, but at night we only use truck stops,

you may ask why would you use the gen. for electric heat, when its -15*c ( 0* f) in the mountains in Alberta in may , the propain doesnt give off enough heat for an overnight truck stop, no camp grounds open.

best purchase made for the trailer.
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have an inverter that will run everything except our AC, microwave or espresso coffee maker. When boondocking, we carry a Honda in the back corner of the truck bed. I run the trailer cord to it. I crank it up to use the microwave or coffee maker. Those things only run a short time. If it is so warm we must use the AC, we go somewhere else, or stay at an RV park. Don't really like it that hot anyway.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
You may ask why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo123 View Post
I have a Honda 3000 ei mounted above the horizontal bottles ac power to gen is transfered at the interior power panel, we us the genny when we are on the road, for battery charging, cooking, heaters, TV and A/C. in the daylight we will stop at roadside rest stops, but at night we only use truck stops,

you may ask why would you use the gen. for electric heat, when its -15*c ( 0* f) in the mountains in Alberta in may , the propain doesnt give off enough heat for an overnight truck stop, no camp grounds open.

best purchase made for the trailer.
Yes, I would like to ask for pictures of the "Honda 3000 ei mounted above the horizontal bottles". Is this on a trailer? Interior power panel? Does this mean it is hardwired to your fuse box?

Curiously yours,

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
I use a Honda 2000 genny when boondocking (or dry camping) and I always lock it to the trailer. I have heard of them being stolen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I opted for the 15k A/C unit, so I would need at least a 3k generator.

As a work around for those warmer boondocking trips, I have two fantastic vents that run off the batteries. I have a 1000 Yamaha propane that can top off the batteries and even run the fridge with some other accessories running as well.

For the smaller A/C units that can run off a 2k generator, I would have to agree, when remote camping aka:boondocking, the setup would be great, but at a rest area, etc, it would not only take time to setup, but time to cool down the trailer, then you'd have to tear it all back down. Not really a restful stop IMHO. For me, it's a quick lunch or to get out and walk a bit and I'm off, then running the tow vehicle's A/C unit. If I have lunch and it's warm out, I open the windows and fire up the fantasitic vents at full power. One issue though is the diesel trucks. Sometimes it's better to just have the door and some windows open rather than creating a wind tunnel.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to justify buying a couple of Honda's. But in my case I just can't seem to be able to convince myself. Although, It would be nice to be able to pull into a rest area, in the middle of a hot night after a hard day of driving. Start the generators, the air conditioner, and get several hours of decent sleep without leaving the windows open and without most of the noise from the trucks, not to mention the fumes from their rigs.
Oh well, I guess I just need to figure out if the benifits of having a generator out weigh the costs for the way I travel.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
I'm just trying to justify buying a couple of Honda's...
hi dooley...

you've not provided any info on the ac...

btu, start up amps, or running amps required.

IF using the ac while in route is a big desire...

u might be better off with a 3k yam or larger honda or an ONAN...

-any of these could be placed securely in the truck bed and vented inside/out of the shell or tonneau cover.

-a 30 amp cord on a reel could be cleanly installed and hook up would be easy.

-a remote start switch placed INSIDE the 'stream would make on/off convenient...

-and the 23 ftr? would cool down quickly.

-with the genset bolted into the truck bed and the cord on a reel...

-theft would be less an issue.

-if still wanting to move the genset OUT onto the ground a scissor-jack-hoist-dolly thing could be added.

there are several threads here by folks doing this and with pix of the setup.

the fuel could come directly from the truck main tank or an accessory fuel tank installed.

another option is to have a genset installed IN the 'stream...

this has been done occasionally in rear twin models,

under a bed and with proper shielding, sound dampening and venting via louvered door panels and extended exhaust pipes...

these are usually hard wired and with a remote start.

fuel choice and location is the big issue, but running on lp gas a nice approach.

either approach would give u quick use of the a/c with set up time and theft minimized.

the truck bed approach seems better for a small trailer...

i've got 2 power connection ports on my unit, one behind the lp tanks and one streetside in the rear.

running the genset at nite in rest areas or truck stops wouldn't be a problem...

mohos and truckers do this routinely in the summer.

so based on your projected usage, the 2000x2 may not be the ideal approach.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would think as far as noise goes it wouldnt be much different then a refer unit on a semi. I would chain it down though. I have a 2 cylinder ONAN It is a heavy SOB but I still chain it down
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Yes sir!

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to justify buying a couple of Honda's. But in my case I just can't seem to be able to convince myself. Although, It would be nice to be able to pull into a rest area, in the middle of a hot night after a hard day of driving. Start the generators, the air conditioner, and get several hours of decent sleep without leaving the windows open and without most of the noise from the trucks, not to mention the fumes from their rigs.
Oh well, I guess I just need to figure out if the benifits of having a generator out weigh the costs for the way I travel.

We have two Honda EU 2000i Generators. When hooked in parallel they run the 15k A/C and several other appliances in our AS. If you have a 15k A/C think twice about buying the 3000 watt generator because it is only rated to truly run at around 2800 watts. The set up I have can run at about 3600--3800 watt, with a peak of 4000 watts. It's better to have too many than not enough.

In addition the smaller units are portable so I normally lock them to the tongue of the trailer to keep the sound away from the sleeping area. With the Honda Kit you're looking at about $1800 new. Money well spent if you like to dry camp like we do.

Good luck.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
All good points. I would get the portable units as I don't want to bolt a heavy unit in place in the truck bed. I have already bought the Action Paks that 2airishuman mentioned in another thread. I figure if I don't get the portable units I still have a lot of things that can be stored in the containers I bought.
Later,
Dooley
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have two Honda 2000's. We use them often even at rest stops. We have often pulled out one to a meal in the microwave. We always cable lock them to the to the trailer. It's quick and easy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
...I have already bought the Action Paks...
well dooley,

if you've already acquired the most rare and ultimate action packers...

OF COURSE u need a honda or 2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-44248.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I use my generator when I overnight at rest stops all the time. Nobody has ever bothered me about running the gererator.

I lock the generator to the a-frame of the trailer and fire it up. It's far more convenient than checking into a campground.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Cool Endless breeze fan

If you really want to cool off quickly at a rest stop, you might want to consider the Fantastic Fan "Endless Breeze" 12 volt fan (Amazon.com has a pretty good price with no shipping charge). It's lightweight enough that we hang ours from the partition rail that separates our sleeping area from the kitchen/dinette. We just flip the hanging position depending on whether we're in bed or at the table. Output is 3-speed, so you get some good airflow. We only use the A/C when near shore power, but we do most of our camping without hookups. Our Honda EU200 genset works fine just to keep the batteries charged; not enough juice to run A/C.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
norsea

120Vac feed that enters at the back of the 1989 34' AS under the bed (sleep) was cut and terminated in a jb (junction box) attached to a 30amp female receptical, (labled ac feed) another jb with a 30amp female receptical (labled gen.), the gen. cable is a (3wire 30amp cabtire black , white, green) hd (home depot) is the cheapest, this cable is run through the interior to the mounted gen. (the 40' cable cant be seen at any point in the trailer), Gen. cable end is attached to a 30amp twist lock male plug cap ( you will need to have a pencil tracing of the honda twist lock (too many variables when you go to buy). the cut cable to the power panel has a 30amp male receptical attached. you can now move this receptical from the (ac feed) to the (gen. feed) or vice versa.

recepticals and plug cap are are typical trailer 30amp 3wire 120v (buy hd)

pictures may be a problem for me to post, however I will try.

good luck
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I carry a Yamaha 3000/boost in the bed of my pickup truck. I run the AC or microwave frequently on rest breaks. Just plug the shore power cable into genset and start it up.

I travel in hot climates. While the trailer may not cool immediately on a hot day, the cool breeze blowing from the AC unit onto the front couch or rear bed gives immediate comfort.

Noise isn't an issue inside the trailer with the genset running in the bed of the pickup. On my rear bed trailer the genset is just a remote hum. I won't run genset in a residential area or in a location where the noise could disturb others.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'll take a look at those endless breeze fans and probably still get the Honda's one of these days. Glad to hear that some of you guys are using the generators at rest areas especially when staying for a few hours. I'm not worried about someone stealing them, although, I will take precautions to prevent somebody walking off with them. I think a good cable and lock is the way to go. My trailer has the couch conversion bed and not a real bed in the front of the trailer. The bath is in the rear. I would just lock them to the "A" frame in the front as well. I imagine the constant noise from the generators would drown out all other noises in the trailer and help me get some good sleep. Sort of listening to a water fall, but, different! Ha, ha.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
I use a Honda 2000 genny when boondocking (or dry camping) and I always lock it to the trailer. I have heard of them being stolen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I had my Honda 2000 stolen in a campground that had only oneway in and out.They cut the cable and where gone with me inside the trailer.
My new one is now mounted to a aluminium plate that I park the trailer wheel on.I then cable it to one wheel.Then install a alarmit cable to the other wheel.
www.alarmlocks.com/