Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
I use my generator when I overnight at rest stops all the time. Nobody has ever bothered me about running the gererator.

I lock the generator to the a-frame of the trailer and fire it up. It's far more convenient than checking into a campground.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Cool Endless breeze fan

If you really want to cool off quickly at a rest stop, you might want to consider the Fantastic Fan "Endless Breeze" 12 volt fan (Amazon.com has a pretty good price with no shipping charge). It's lightweight enough that we hang ours from the partition rail that separates our sleeping area from the kitchen/dinette. We just flip the hanging position depending on whether we're in bed or at the table. Output is 3-speed, so you get some good airflow. We only use the A/C when near shore power, but we do most of our camping without hookups. Our Honda EU200 genset works fine just to keep the batteries charged; not enough juice to run A/C.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
norsea

120Vac feed that enters at the back of the 1989 34' AS under the bed (sleep) was cut and terminated in a jb (junction box) attached to a 30amp female receptical, (labled ac feed) another jb with a 30amp female receptical (labled gen.), the gen. cable is a (3wire 30amp cabtire black , white, green) hd (home depot) is the cheapest, this cable is run through the interior to the mounted gen. (the 40' cable cant be seen at any point in the trailer), Gen. cable end is attached to a 30amp twist lock male plug cap ( you will need to have a pencil tracing of the honda twist lock (too many variables when you go to buy). the cut cable to the power panel has a 30amp male receptical attached. you can now move this receptical from the (ac feed) to the (gen. feed) or vice versa.

recepticals and plug cap are are typical trailer 30amp 3wire 120v (buy hd)

pictures may be a problem for me to post, however I will try.

good luck
Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I carry a Yamaha 3000/boost in the bed of my pickup truck. I run the AC or microwave frequently on rest breaks. Just plug the shore power cable into genset and start it up.

I travel in hot climates. While the trailer may not cool immediately on a hot day, the cool breeze blowing from the AC unit onto the front couch or rear bed gives immediate comfort.

Noise isn't an issue inside the trailer with the genset running in the bed of the pickup. On my rear bed trailer the genset is just a remote hum. I won't run genset in a residential area or in a location where the noise could disturb others.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'll take a look at those endless breeze fans and probably still get the Honda's one of these days. Glad to hear that some of you guys are using the generators at rest areas especially when staying for a few hours. I'm not worried about someone stealing them, although, I will take precautions to prevent somebody walking off with them. I think a good cable and lock is the way to go. My trailer has the couch conversion bed and not a real bed in the front of the trailer. The bath is in the rear. I would just lock them to the "A" frame in the front as well. I imagine the constant noise from the generators would drown out all other noises in the trailer and help me get some good sleep. Sort of listening to a water fall, but, different! Ha, ha.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
I use a Honda 2000 genny when boondocking (or dry camping) and I always lock it to the trailer. I have heard of them being stolen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I had my Honda 2000 stolen in a campground that had only oneway in and out.They cut the cable and where gone with me inside the trailer.
My new one is now mounted to a aluminium plate that I park the trailer wheel on.I then cable it to one wheel.Then install a alarmit cable to the other wheel.
www.alarmlocks.com/
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I gots o' question for yuz geneartor users: can they be converted to run deezul?

Bill
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Bill-they can't be converted to run diesel (many reasons-injection system, compression ratio). You can buy a diesel genset-but most of the appropriate size enclosed gensets for sale are Chinese (Yanmar clones), and they're relatively heavy, noisier than the quiet Hondas and Yamahas, and the exhaust odor can be a problem at times.

I have the Kipor 3500 T diesel genset. It weighs about 300 pounds-I ramp it into the pickup. It is fine for rest stop use-it blends right in with idling trucks. The noise inside the trailer is not objectionable, and the unit has a mellow deep sound. It starts the AC with ease-a lot more authoritively than my Yamaha 3000 boost. The fuel consumption is very low. I think diesel is safer in the bed of the pickup. But I don't use it if I'm going to stay in campgrounds where noise/smell may be an issue (I use my Yamaha for that).

As for theft-an advantage of a larger heavier genset locked into a pickup bed, with a locked tailgate is at least a little harder to steal. I cover mine with an old burlap bag, and stuff a trash bag or two around it when I'm in a marginal area. Disguise helps here.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Thanx tpi, the boats I fish off-shore on all have diesel fired gensets...I wondered why that has not carried over to the RV world...

Bill
Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
I had my Honda 2000 stolen in a campground that had only oneway in and out.They cut the cable and where gone with me inside the trailer.
My new one is now mounted to a aluminium plate that I park the trailer wheel on.I then cable it to one wheel.Then install a alarmit cable to the other wheel.
www.alarmlocks.com/

Sorry for your loss. I was thinking that I would be OK because I travel with dogs but, then I thought that the generators would be making noise and maybe the dogs would not hear someone cutting the cable attached to the a frame. Your use of the alarmlock and cable looks like it would work. The other good idea is the unit attached to a plate and the other part of the plate under the trailer wheel. We need to make it as difficult as possible for the thief to rip us off.