Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #21
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Warning: Do not have any generator running near our campsite other than something quiet like the Honda.

Especially if I've remembered to bring the long guns.

The generators that the big box stores carry are construction grade, which translates to NOISEY!!! They are less money than the Hondas or Yamahas, but you will live a happier, fuller life with one of quieter H or Y's.

Save your $$$ and go with one of the quiet ones.

Jonathan
Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
If you have the funds, Honda has come out with a new 6500 Watt generator in their inverter series. Here is the link:

<eu6500is Honda Generators 6500 watt super quiet EU6500i Honda portable generator>

Dwight
So, just how pricey is it?

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
$4000 was the price froogle found for me.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Generators.

Generators should never be loaded to more than 80 percent of it's normal output. As an example, a 4000 watt generator should never be loaded to more than 3200 watts continuous.

To do so, will cause it to have a short life.

Peak output is very momentary.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
price...

David, I want to remember that I was quoted an internet price of $3200 for the EU6500is.
Dwight
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
I have an assortment of questions, so i hope that you can help me make a good choice. We have a 1983 31ft classic motorhome. the onan genset crashed last summer and we now want a replacement. We got a new Northern tool catalog thjis week and it has the Honda generators EU3000is and the EU6500is ($3499.99) plus shipping. Both are gas and we need to go Lp as our motor is diesel. we bought a gas to LP conversion for the onam but I don't know if it would work on the honda. The catalog also shows Honda RV generators to install into existing compartment where Onan was located.
4000W 33.3 amp model EV4010 ($2499.99) 6000W 50 amp model EV6010 (2899.99). That price is without muffler additional $199.99 and remote start $99.99. I assume these are gas as it doesn't specify fuel type.

Northern also has a Guardian RV generator LP powered 6500 W ($2299.99)
Lp powered 5500W ($2099.99) Does anyone know anything about the Guardian brand.

We hope to find a dealer in the Houston Tx area that can answer some of our questions about conversion to LP I looked on the Honda site and found no info on the EV. series.

this is a big investment for us so we sure don't want to make a mistake. Roy is on oxygen 24/7 so we must have dependable power. we have 2 ac's but could get by only running one at a time. When we visit friends and stay in their yards ,no one has enough power to meet our need.

The unit we buy will have to be installed into the existing gen compartment below the bed curbside. We have a 35 gal LP tank so that is our fuel of choice.

Any ideas or help will really be appricated. I keep telling Roy that you folks have awsome advice and information. Don't make a liar out of me. I really don't want to spend several days and waste fuel trying to find a dealer in the Houston area to answer our Questions.

Thanks

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935
I have an assortment of questions, so i hope that you can help me make a good choice. We have a 1983 31ft classic motorhome. the onan genset crashed last summer and we now want a replacement. We got a new Northern tool catalog thjis week and it has the Honda generators EU3000is and the EU6500is ($3499.99) plus shipping. Both are gas and we need to go Lp as our motor is diesel. we bought a gas to LP conversion for the onam but I don't know if it would work on the honda. The catalog also shows Honda RV generators to install into existing compartment where Onan was located.
4000W 33.3 amp model EV4010 ($2499.99) 6000W 50 amp model EV6010 (2899.99). That price is without muffler additional $199.99 and remote start $99.99. I assume these are gas as it doesn't specify fuel type.

Northern also has a Guardian RV generator LP powered 6500 W ($2299.99)
Lp powered 5500W ($2099.99) Does anyone know anything about the Guardian brand.

We hope to find a dealer in the Houston Tx area that can answer some of our questions about conversion to LP I looked on the Honda site and found no info on the EV. series.

this is a big investment for us so we sure don't want to make a mistake. Roy is on oxygen 24/7 so we must have dependable power. we have 2 ac's but could get by only running one at a time. When we visit friends and stay in their yards ,no one has enough power to meet our need.

The unit we buy will have to be installed into the existing gen compartment below the bed curbside. We have a 35 gal LP tank so that is our fuel of choice.

Any ideas or help will really be appricated. I keep telling Roy that you folks have awsome advice and information. Don't make a liar out of me. I really don't want to spend several days and waste fuel trying to find a dealer in the Houston area to answer our Questions.

Thanks

Kay and Roy
Kay,

Guaradian gen-sets are made by Generac. They are a large company and make a nice unit.

You can contact US Carbueration about a propane conversion. I have used their conversion kits and they work very well. They make conversion kits for a lot of gen-sets out there.

From what I've seen on the many RVs that I work on, the most popular built-in unit is the Onan.They come in gas, diesel and LP.

If you're looking for diesel only, you might check out Powertech in Leesburg, FL. They just came out with a smaller line of mobile gen-sets. Their units are often found in the big, $Million+ bus conversions.

Considering that you are going to be using this in a confined space in your trailer, you should be shure that ANY gen-set that you get is RVIA approved for use in an RV.

The most important factor is to FIRST find the shop that will do the install and discuss thhe project with them. This will smooth your project by quite a bit!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Warranty Voiding!

Guys,

One thing to bear in mind is that if you convert a Honda to LP without using a Honda conversion kit, you will void the warranty. I just spoke to a Honda genset dealer last week and asked him about the LP conversions. Guy told me straight up that Honda sells them, but you'll lay out some serious jack for them. He said the aftermarket ones are probably just as good, but you will void the warranty.

Just something to keep in mind.