Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Generator Size for 13,500BTU Coleman Mach 3???

I am considering a portable generator for my trailer.
It is a 1984 31 ft Excella with a 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach 3 Air Conditioner.

I know a 4000 watt generator would be big enough, and in looking at some of the catalogs etc...some advertisers seem to think as little as 2800-3000 watts would do it, but I have reservations about that being enough to run the AC and anything else, like the fridge, TV or any lights. How big is BIG enough?

Also, some talk about "clean power" so that computers and electronics such as TVs can be run. Does this mean that not just any generator will work?
I have seen 4000 watt contractor type generators for as little as $1000, and the super quiet specialty RV advertised for $2400+.....opinions???

I would like to hear comments from those who KNOW, please...and thanks from all of us who will benefit from accurate knowledge.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
In my case, I don't know yet how it will work.........but will soon have a 13,500 AC on a new 28' CCD with a 3000 Honda gen that I purchased for my 22' CCD (11,000 BTU AC). It worked great with the 11k AC, but I'll have to wait and see what happens with the 13.5K unit. Now, I don't anticipate running AC and microwave together......since we live in the NW, but the opportunity may arise this summer with extended travel. We have the 3000 Honda, and have even used it to bail us out when we ran out of gas with the TV (I've bought a hand pump to siphon since then)! One problem we experienced with the 3000 Honda hauling in the back of our Avalanche was that on rough roads, we would smell gas occasionally. We remedied the situation by only filling it half full of gas! This is my experience thus far!
Will you be boondocking???.......or if you're just hooked up all the time it's not really an issue. I'm intrigued with boondocking more as we'll have solar on board, meaning less dependence on the gen! The fridge operates off the propane tanks, so not an issue.....the lights off the batteries, so the only worries are the water pump and heater fan!
Good luck on your decision! These are my experiences thus far!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I looked briefly at this with our 15k A/C unit. It would have needed 2 eu2000s in par or one eu3000i. For the 13k unit, I would **think** that one eu2000i might do it, but that would be about all and an eu3000i surely would. Thing is that the 2 2000s are smaller and weigh less than 1 3000.

If you're looking to power more than the A/C unit, then I'd look at how many watts and/or amps each component will take and pair it up to the right gen. Biggest issue is the startup of of the A/C unit. That is what most likely will pull most of the needed juice. I ususally add them all up, then go a bit higher than I need. Each time I've done that, 2 eu2000s keep coming up. The 3k also would work in my case, but it's far bigger, heavier.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up Onan Camp Power or MicroLite?

Does anyone have any experience with the Onan Camp Power 2500 LP generator or the MicroLite 2500 LP?
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The 13,500 btu Duo-Therm manual specifies a minimum of 3500 watts, but many do it with the Honda EU3000, at least at lower altitudes.

The higher the altitude, the lower the generator output. You also have to consider what else in the trailer might be drawing power. If the batteries aren't fully charged, the converter will be drawing power. Also, if the refrigerator is switched to Auto instead of Gas, it will start drawing power.

Don't even try to run it on one EU2000. If the generator doesn't go into overload, the compressor struggles to start, and this is causing excess current through it and the generator's windings. Over time, this will eventually destroy them.

I use two Honda EU2000 generators paralleled to provide 30 amps. Honda EUs are the only generators you can parallel.

PLEASE don't bring a contractor generator into a campground or boondocking area where there are others. They are orders of magnitude louder than than the quiet Hondas, which many consider to be obtrusive anyway.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In answer to your question about clean power... most generators must run at a set speed (typically 3600 rpm) to put out 60 cycle power. When a load bogs them down and they slow down, frequency as well as voltage drops. The EU series have a three-phase AC winding that is rectified and feeds a true sine wave inverter (as opposed to modified sine wave which is just stair-stepped DC), and the frequency is not dependent on generator speed. The power is clean, frequency-stable AC, and won't cause overheating in motor or transformer/power supply driven devices like a modified sine wave can.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=eb3000 I bought this unit for my 34' for the following reasons.
1. Weight of 68 lbs I could lift it.
2. Honda, I felt like its a good product
3. 3000 watts 25 Amps pleanty of power. I have run the ac and the microwave simultaneously
4. Noise level of 68 dp could have been better, could have been much worse.
5. Price I got it for under $1000. plus shipping
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
IIRC, the National Park Service limit is 60db at 50 feet. That's the same as 66.7 db at the 7 meters or 23 feet at which Honda rates their generators.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Last week I received the latest issue of Trailer Life. In the letters column one gentlemen complained that he bought a Yamaha 2800 watt gen. and it would not run his single AC. He complained to Yamaha that advertisements claimed it would run all AC's in trailers and 5th wheels and since it would not do as claimed he wanted his money back. The company refused so he got Trailer Life involved. The company pointed out that in the advertisement the consumer was to check starting current in wattage needed to start the compressor and any other current that might be drawn at the same time to make sure the unit would handle the load. Obviously the 2800 would not handle his particular AC but it was hooked up to several other AC units and it worked. Some units have higher wattage needs so I would be sure to check to see if the particular unit you want will be up to the task. One single EU2000 will not handle a 10,000 nor a 13,500 BTU AC unit. The EU3000 probably will as well as the Yamaha 3000.

Bottom line is to check the starting requirements.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Design your generator system to provide ample inrush power and not overload the generator, ever.
Over time, a marginal output generator will cost more money and headaches caused by stress on all your equipment.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Clean Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
In answer to your question about clean power... most generators must run at a set speed (typically 3600 rpm) to put out 60 cycle power. When a load bogs them down and they slow down, frequency as well as voltage drops. The EU series have a three-phase AC winding that is rectified and feeds a true sine wave inverter (as opposed to modified sine wave which is just stair-stepped DC), and the frequency is not dependent on generator speed. The power is clean, frequency-stable AC, and won't cause overheating in motor or transformer/power supply driven devices like a modified sine wave can.
Thanks. I'm part owner of Answer Center, a telephone answering service in Virginia Beach. Every answering service has to have a bad weather emergency plan.. and for those of us who can't have a permanently installed generator HONDA portables are THE "must have" model - because of the clean power. You just explained HOW they are better in terms I can understand (and my electrical knowledge stops at "don't stick a fork in a plugged in toaster").

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Paula, its hard to decide on just how much power you want or need, specially when you try to consider all of our special needs with the loss of power locally. I use a 5000 watt "Lowes" generator at the house, that's all that was available when Bonnie hit. It runs the water pump some lights and keeps my refrigerator and freezer going and it was cheap,less than $500. Its not pretty and the power is not as clean as the upscale Honda's but it was thousands less. I do not run the tv and computer with this generator.
When the storms hit and we lose powere we set up the generator for the house, but usually, Bonnie and Isabel, the weather is still so opressive that we move into the trailer. The 3000 watt is adequate to run everything the way I normally use the trailer.
Bigger is better if you have a place to store it, and for your office the propane or natural gas with an automatic transfer switch would make you the envy of many, but there are costs involved. Check this info and try to see just how much power you think you might need, realize that not all of the items will be running at the sametime. Best of Luck http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Last week I received the latest issue of Trailer Life. In the letters column one gentlemen complained that he bought a Yamaha 2800 watt gen. and it would not run his single AC. He complained to Yamaha that advertisements claimed it would run all AC's in trailers and 5th wheels and since it would not do as claimed he wanted his money back. The company refused so he got Trailer Life involved. The company pointed out that in the advertisement the consumer was to check starting current in wattage needed to start the compressor and any other current that might be drawn at the same time to make sure the unit would handle the load. Obviously the 2800 would not handle his particular AC but it was hooked up to several other AC units and it worked. Some units have higher wattage needs so I would be sure to check to see if the particular unit you want will be up to the task. One single EU2000 will not handle a 10,000 nor a 13,500 BTU AC unit. The EU3000 probably will as well as the Yamaha 3000.

Bottom line is to check the starting requirements.
This is an excellent point that I learned the hard way. We owned a Yamaha 2800 watt generator that we had used several times with our Holiday Rambler. It ran the air conditioner on that trailer fine.

Bringing the new (to us) Airstream home from Florida, we tried to use that same generator to air condition the new trailer. No go.

At home I measured the voltage from the generator as it tried to start the a/c on the Airstream. It dropped into the 60-70 volt range and stayed there for a second or two until the generator tripped off.

We are now using an Onan MicroLite 4000. It's overkill and heavy, but it sure powers everything we need.

Bottom line: Be absolutely sure that a generator will START and run your air conditioner before you accept it.

Loren
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Nashville , Tennessee
My Honda 3000 runs the air conditioner just fine, but you have to turn the "Ecco Throttle" off. That increases the engine RPM (and noise), so that the engine is developing enough power to overcome the inrush current required to get the compressor motor going. If you attemt to start the A/C with Echo Throttle on, the generator kicks off and the "Overload" light illuminates. The engine will still run, but the generator will have to be reset.
jimb757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have no purchased a generator yet, but when I do, it will be minumum 4000 Watts.
I may look into one of those Lowes Generac models and then takt it to a muffler shop for a retrofit muffler to be welded on to quieten it down.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
clean power

David,
I had a similar question when we were looking for generators. We picked the 2 Honda EU2000 in parallel. One because each EU 2000 is easy to lift. The power is clean. And we can use only one at a time when we do not need the AC. I also ordered the 12 volt charge cord.
I ordered from Mayberry's (they were offering free shipping at the time) If you call them you can get a price quote. Here is the link to the web site
http://mayberrys.com/
Good luck in what ever you choose.
I had a very good experience with Mayberry's, Would buy from them any time!
Here is the discussion about 2 X EU2000 vs 1 EU3000
http://www.airforums.com/forum...highlight=2000
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
David----Don't waste your money!!! You can put 10 mufflers on that type of generator and it will still be TOO LOUD!!!. Its not just the exhaust that that creates the noise, in fact very little of it is created there. Look throught the post here and other forums and you'll find lots of people who have tried the same thing and were disapointed.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
David----Don't waste your money!!! You can put 10 mufflers on that type of generator and it will still be TOO LOUD!!!. Its not just the exhaust that that creates the noise, in fact very little of it is created there. Look throught the post here and other forums and you'll find lots of people who have tried the same thing and were disapointed.
Pieman
I agree w/Pieman. The choices are a "frame type" or an enclosed. Frame types are usually for construction or any where noise does not matter. I have seen some people surround a frame type generator with all sorts of noise reducing material even bales of straw....
I do not know of any one that was sorry that their generator was too quiet...
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
I have no purchased a generator yet, but when I do, it will be minumum 4000 Watts.
I may look into one of those Lowes Generac models and then takt it to a muffler shop for a retrofit muffler to be welded on to quieten it down.
If you're planning on using this in the National Parks or National Forest campgrounds, the generator not only has to be quiet, as a consideration to your fellow campers, but also has to have a USDA approved spark arrestor. A contractor genrator such as the Lowes Generac model you're considering, may not have these features. The Honda EU inverter series meet these standards. The Yamaha inverter models do as well.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #20

Has anyone knowledge of the GenRac QUIETPACT® Series. Their 40G models weighs 165 lbs but it cranks out 3600 watts/30amps. Here's a description from website: http://bigdiscountrv.com/generators_generac.htm#

High performance plus great value. Fully enclosed gaseous generators are quieter and lighter than comparable generators in the market. Designed for highline Class A and highline Class C motorhomes with dual roof air conditioner, as well as, trailer applications. Fully enclosed diesel generator provides a smooth and quiet operation. Perfect for Class A operations.
BreezyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote