Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Generator security

How does one secure their generators at a camp site. We have two of the hondas 2000s. I would like to be able to secure them but not sure of the best way. I do not want to have to put them in the containers (they could be carried off just as easily) or SUV each time we leave the site. Any suggestions and or pictures would be grateful.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I put mine away if we're leaving. There are some things which are like heroin to an addict, and Honda Gennies are one of those. It's a pain, but that's the way it is.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I use this through the handle to chain it to the trailer frame.

Kryptonite

They can defeat any system. If they would undo this, they most probably would break into the trailer anyway.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I put mine away if we're leaving. There are some things which are like heroin to an addict, and Honda Gennies are one of those. It's a pain, but that's the way it is.
Yes that is the way it is. Put them away. Even here in relatively safe north Idaho there are stories of them being stolen while running and locked to the trailer bumper. Now that takes gall.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
The best solution is to always be near your generators and have them in sight, but we know that is not possible so either put them away or secure them the best way you can.

When I use our generators I wrap a Python type cable around the generator - not just through the handle as a thief can cut through the plastic handle. Make sure the cable is tight and then use another cable through the Python and secure to a strong part of the trailer or motorhome with a good lock. See the attached pictures.

Also do not leave generators in view in your vehicle - at least cover them up or store in a container so the 'looking' thief does not know you have something valuable.

No matter what we do a determined thief can likely steal whatever he wants, but do your best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	143294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	143295  

Attached Images

WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the quick responses. I will lock to the bumper when in the park and pack them in the car when sightseeing hiking etc
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I agree that its best to lock it away out of sight whenever possible. However, for a bit more peace of mind, I got a theft- deterrent bracket from mayberrys.com - a custom steel bracket which fits over the plastic handle of the EU2000i. It wont stop a determined thief from cutting through the handle, but at least it will make it a longer, noisier job. Which is a good thing.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote