Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Generator Report - Yamaha 2400

This spring I bought a Yamaha 2400 and I thought it might be useful to give a short report ... I bought this unit because I thought a 2,000 watt unit likely too small to run the a/c on the trailer, and if I just wanted battery charing capability, occasional electrical appliance use, etc., I'd have bought a 1,000 watt machine for ease in portability, low fuel consumption, etc. Seemed to me likely that a 2400 watt unit would do the job, be portable enough for me, and also, it could be purchased already converted to non-gasoline fuels. I've got a diesel pickup and don't see the need or have any desire to, haul gasoline around with me ... but I've already got propane on the trailer.

Bought it from US Carburetion. Got the "tri-fuel" model. Others have reported difficulties with them as a company. I had none. Friendly folks on the phone answered a raft of questions, etc. Sent them a check and the generator showed up less than week later, quite well packed, undamaged, with lots of instructions - instructions are a bit lengthy and somewhat confusing, but understandable enough, in my estimation ... at least I muddled through them.

Followed instructions explicitly on oil fill, break-in period, etc. I was disappointed that it did not start on the first rope pull ... it took two pulls! Runs pretty quiet (at least when compared to a larger YG6600 I have and other brand generators I've owned in the past) and smooth. After break-in, I plumbed it up to a propane tank, using hose, regulator, etc. I also bought from USC. No glitches. Had to enrich the fuel setting a bit from USC "starting point" suggestions, but that took perhaps one minute. Runs fine on propane as well as gasoline. I'm having a separate home natural gas line run for a new gas grill, and I'll try it on natural gas later this summer, but I expect no difficulty.

This past weekend, I ran the machine to test out whether it would start the a/c unit on the Airstream. No problem there, either. I do not know what size that a/c unit is, but since my trailer is a 23 footer, I believe that it is the small, 11,000 BTU unit. There was a significant voltage drop when I first switched the a/c unit on (dipping down to 100 volts or so), but that lasted only about a second or perhaps a second and a half, and then all went back to purring. I did not use an ammeter to check current flow, but it didn't "sound" as if the generator was working hard at all. Would it work o.k. for a larger a/c unit? No idea. Maybe I'll tote the generator to a rally later this summer and try it out on someone else's larger a/c unit.

Fuel burn seems in line with factory specs.

All in all, I'm a happy camper.

Usual disclaimers: no relation to Yamaha, US Carburetion, etc.

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
my initial experience with USCarb was problematic, but ultimately they straightened everything out... yes, our LP 2400 runs our 13.5k BTU A/C.. probably not much else.. haven't tried... next time I run it, I'll put an ammeter on it... always takes 2 pulls on LP... and won't start at all unless I give it a good prime at the regulator... all in all, very happy with it

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Mine starts on the first pull unless I'm changing fuels (LP to gasoline or Gasoline to LP). This is to be expected because you have to run the carb dry of one fuel before starting on the other. So the first pull is merely pulling the new fuel into the carb. The next pull starts it. And yes, I have to hold the prime button on the LP side a while to get LP all the way from the tank, through the hose to the generator.

That all sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It just means an extra pull once in a while.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote