Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Honda EU3000 Handi weighs the same (70lbs) as the Yamaha 2400. The Handi has wheels and a dolly handle. The Honda 2000 is much easier to throw around (compared to the Yamaha or the Handi). I have three different generators ... FWIW, the Handi is the one I find myself going to 9 out of 10 times.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Honda EU3000 Handi weighs the same (70lbs) as the Yamaha 2400. The Handi has wheels and a dolly handle. The Honda 2000 is much easier to throw around (compared to the Yamaha or the Handi). I have three different generators ... FWIW, the Handi is the one I find myself going to 9 out of 10 times.
All things considered, I would think the new handi would be the new standard for campers.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Well, it's 8 lb more (70 lb vs 78 for the Honda) but list price is also $1120 more for the Honda. The Yamaha is also rated a bit quieter as a bonus. I'd guess that street prices have a similar amount off between the two, so I'd expect the final price on them to still have a lot of daylight between them.

Lots of people pooh-pooh buying on price, but they're usually talking about the off-brand models or the new-to-market models with Chinese-made engines like the Honeywell or (maybe) the Ryobi (I have no idea who makes the Ryobi engine at this point.) I'd be as likely to rely on a Yamaha as a Honda (I've owned flawlessly reliable engines from both companies, but they were attached to motorcycles rather than generators.)

$1k will buy lots of gas for the tow vehicle, or tires for the trailer, or whatever else is needed. I'd go for the bigger output if I had a bigger trailer, but if I had to buy one today I think I'd buy the Yamaha 2400. At least for the time being, I can lift 70 lb into a pickup bed, and I'd hopefully wear the generator out before I can't.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We looked carefully at the Honda 3000 Handi...and they are very tempting. There are some nice design features... But in the end what sold me on the 2000 x2 route was a combination of the known reliability of the Honda 2000, the option to use/take only one when we didn't need AC...and perhaps most importantly (to me) the weight considerations. Sure, I can lift 70+ lbs...but lifting it high enough to get into the truck bed would be difficult (for me) without help. We have not regretted our choice.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
I have been reading this thread with much interest. When we purchased our 2009 Flying Cloud, 28 foot with 15,000 A/C with heat pump, we decided we wanted to have adequate power to run our A/C. After much research, talking to fellow campers and reading these threads, we decided to go with a EU3000is Honda Inverter. We have not regretted this decision to date. One of the drawbacks could be its weight at 130 pounds, however, our unit is semi-permanently mounted in the canopy of our pickup. We find this unit to be very quiet when running. When the canopy door is closed, we find it very easy to carry on a conversation adjacent to the pickup. Most of all, it supplies all of our power requirements. We also have factory-installed solar panels and four AGM batteries. We have also recently found that the EU3000 doesn't have a fuel pump, like the 1000 and 2000, so we are unable to use the extended fuel supply system.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MervM View Post
I have been reading this thread with much interest. When we purchased our 2009 Flying Cloud, 28 foot with 15,000 A/C with heat pump, we decided we wanted to have adequate power to run our A/C. After much research, talking to fellow campers and reading these threads, we decided to go with a EU3000is Honda Inverter. We have not regretted this decision to date. One of the drawbacks could be its weight at 130 pounds, however, our unit is semi-permanently mounted in the canopy of our pickup. We find this unit to be very quiet when running. When the canopy door is closed, we find it very easy to carry on a conversation adjacent to the pickup. Most of all, it supplies all of our power requirements. We also have factory-installed solar panels and four AGM batteries. We have also recently found that the EU3000 doesn't have a fuel pump, like the 1000 and 2000, so we are unable to use the extended fuel supply system.

Nice comments. I'm interested in the Yamaha 3000 w/boost.
Have you actually used the gen to power the 15,000 btu A/C in hot weather?
How did it do?
And what kind of fuel consumption did you see when the A/C was working hard?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Merv, I agree that the Honda EU 3000 is the absolute best of all choices ... as long as the 130lbs isn't a problem for the user. It has a very quiet purr and 3.5 gallons will go as long as 20 hours.

Terry, it's definitely hard to beat the flexibility of having two 2000s w/ an extended tank (4000 is enough to do whatever you want). The great thing about having two 2000s is that when you aren't running the A/C, you only need to run one. Those things are easy to handle.

For whatever reasons, I've found myself grabbing the Handi most frequently ... it's light and powerful enough for everything I might need to run. I like the integrated wheels and handles. BTW, you can use the same 2000 extended tank system with the Handi; however, you must place the extended tank higher than then generator and allow for gravity assistance.

I've tried lots of generators and there just isn't a perfect answer ... there are multiple right choices ... I just happen to think the 2400 isn't one of them for my particular situation.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
We have indeed used the EU 3000 to run the 15,000 a/c,we found it done the job quite good . As to fuel consumption ,we did not check with any accuracy . However we feel the consumption was not alarmingly high. We intend doing some accurate checks this summer , if summer ever gets here.

Merv
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MervM View Post
We have indeed used the EU 3000 to run the 15,000 a/c,we found it done the job quite good . As to fuel consumption ,we did not check with any accuracy . However we feel the consumption was not alarmingly high. We intend doing some accurate checks this summer , if summer ever gets here.

Merv
Thank You!
I'll try to send some warmer weather that way.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
OK, I'm a Gen noobee. That is, I have used the "brutes" for home storm backup and am very familiar with them technically (although I want more info on an inverter generator vs. the regular generators) , and like you have used electric sites mostly. My thought, is I like the idea of the 3 stage charging in my converter/charger for battery happiness reasons, so I would look to plug the gen in for AC power to the AS, rather than use the 12V feature on the Gen. I too, am trying to learn from the experienced on this subject and really don't know if I want a Gen for battery charging only, for A/C use, or somewhere in between. I would like to start more boondocking. Someday solar, but not until I am able to use AS extensively (retirement). by then solar will presumably be much less expensive. In the meantime....what generator to get?????
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
OK, I'm a Gen noobee. That is, I have used the "brutes" for home storm backup and am very familiar with them technically (although I want more info on an inverter generator vs. the regular generators) , and like you have used electric sites mostly. My thought, is I like the idea of the 3 stage charging in my converter/charger for battery happiness reasons, so I would look to plug the gen in for AC power to the AS, rather than use the 12V feature on the Gen. I too, am trying to learn from the experienced on this subject and really don't know if I want a Gen for battery charging only, for A/C use, or somewhere in between. I would like to start more boondocking. Someday solar, but not until I am able to use AS extensively (retirement). by then solar will presumably be much less expensive. In the meantime....what generator to get?????
IMHO, the big decision you need to make is, do you want to be able to run the airconditioner with the generator.

If you do, then you either need two 2KW's or one 3.4KW, +,-. If not, then any generator will run the converter/charger.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Anyone using the new Yamaha 2000i generators? Either as a single or in pair for more power? We're considering replacing our Yamaha 1000...

The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote