Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Our Yamaha 1000 inverter is rated continuous 1,000w, and our converter is Intellipower 60, rated at 900 watts input. We cannot start the genset unless the refrigerator is manually on gas, the sum of converter initial load plus the fridge 110vac element is too much. As soon as the generator spools up and runs smoothly, two minutes or so, we put the fridge back on electric without problem. If the fridge is on automatic and senses the generator, it tries to switch quickly to ac power, adding something like 200 watts more to the generator.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
According to the HD info, the Ryobi is 10 pounds heavier than the Honda.

Both are rated at 59 DB.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
According to the HD info, the Ryobi is 10 pounds heavier than the Honda.

Both are rated at 59 DB.
I'd heave 10 extra lb into the back of the truck to save $400.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'd check how easily you can have it worked on under warranty (and out of warranty) if it became necessary. You can have a Honda serviced almost anywhere...and Hondas are well-proven and tested products. Also, can you parallel a set if you chose to? We have 2 Honda 2000s and swear by them. If you shop you can get a good price. We just got the 2nd one this month for $879 (I can give details if you want). Weight-wise...add another 8 or so lbs for a gallon of fuel and it adds up quickly.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@TBRich: Actually, when I think about it a bit longer, I'd probably get the 2400 watt inverter Yamaha, because that single genset will run the AC on my Argosy... and for half the year, it's a LONG way from here to anywhere I'd like to be without AC. At least you can get up to the high desert where it cools down at night. Eureka Springs averages about 6F cooler than Fort Worth in August, for example, but I'll still be happy to have the AC.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Actually, when I think about it a bit longer, I'd probably get the 2400 watt inverter Yamaha, because that single genset will run the AC on my Argosy...
Yup, that's what I thought and what I did. The 2400 Yamaha does just fine for my AC. Also runs on propane, which is nice.

But - if you only need to charge batteries occasionally, etc. solar panels are terrific, or a little 1,000 watt Honda or Yamaha are a lot lighter and easier on backs to tote around.

Since installing solar, I haven't used the generator "in anger" except to run the AC. On a hot night in the South, that can be a blessing.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #27

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I went with the Yamaha 2400 hc for the same reason. We wanted to boondock and in Kansas it gets pretty hot in the summer. Also when camping under trees the solar panel doesn't get enough sun to top off the batteries. It's also VERY quiet.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
1000 watt won't run my wife's hair dryer. Enough said.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Honda EU3000 Handi weighs the same (70lbs) as the Yamaha 2400. The Handi has wheels and a dolly handle. The Honda 2000 is much easier to throw around (compared to the Yamaha or the Handi). I have three different generators ... FWIW, the Handi is the one I find myself going to 9 out of 10 times.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Honda EU3000 Handi weighs the same (70lbs) as the Yamaha 2400. The Handi has wheels and a dolly handle. The Honda 2000 is much easier to throw around (compared to the Yamaha or the Handi). I have three different generators ... FWIW, the Handi is the one I find myself going to 9 out of 10 times.
All things considered, I would think the new handi would be the new standard for campers.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Well, it's 8 lb more (70 lb vs 78 for the Honda) but list price is also $1120 more for the Honda. The Yamaha is also rated a bit quieter as a bonus. I'd guess that street prices have a similar amount off between the two, so I'd expect the final price on them to still have a lot of daylight between them.

Lots of people pooh-pooh buying on price, but they're usually talking about the off-brand models or the new-to-market models with Chinese-made engines like the Honeywell or (maybe) the Ryobi (I have no idea who makes the Ryobi engine at this point.) I'd be as likely to rely on a Yamaha as a Honda (I've owned flawlessly reliable engines from both companies, but they were attached to motorcycles rather than generators.)

$1k will buy lots of gas for the tow vehicle, or tires for the trailer, or whatever else is needed. I'd go for the bigger output if I had a bigger trailer, but if I had to buy one today I think I'd buy the Yamaha 2400. At least for the time being, I can lift 70 lb into a pickup bed, and I'd hopefully wear the generator out before I can't.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We looked carefully at the Honda 3000 Handi...and they are very tempting. There are some nice design features... But in the end what sold me on the 2000 x2 route was a combination of the known reliability of the Honda 2000, the option to use/take only one when we didn't need AC...and perhaps most importantly (to me) the weight considerations. Sure, I can lift 70+ lbs...but lifting it high enough to get into the truck bed would be difficult (for me) without help. We have not regretted our choice.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
I have been reading this thread with much interest. When we purchased our 2009 Flying Cloud, 28 foot with 15,000 A/C with heat pump, we decided we wanted to have adequate power to run our A/C. After much research, talking to fellow campers and reading these threads, we decided to go with a EU3000is Honda Inverter. We have not regretted this decision to date. One of the drawbacks could be its weight at 130 pounds, however, our unit is semi-permanently mounted in the canopy of our pickup. We find this unit to be very quiet when running. When the canopy door is closed, we find it very easy to carry on a conversation adjacent to the pickup. Most of all, it supplies all of our power requirements. We also have factory-installed solar panels and four AGM batteries. We have also recently found that the EU3000 doesn't have a fuel pump, like the 1000 and 2000, so we are unable to use the extended fuel supply system.
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MervM View Post
I have been reading this thread with much interest. When we purchased our 2009 Flying Cloud, 28 foot with 15,000 A/C with heat pump, we decided we wanted to have adequate power to run our A/C. After much research, talking to fellow campers and reading these threads, we decided to go with a EU3000is Honda Inverter. We have not regretted this decision to date. One of the drawbacks could be its weight at 130 pounds, however, our unit is semi-permanently mounted in the canopy of our pickup. We find this unit to be very quiet when running. When the canopy door is closed, we find it very easy to carry on a conversation adjacent to the pickup. Most of all, it supplies all of our power requirements. We also have factory-installed solar panels and four AGM batteries. We have also recently found that the EU3000 doesn't have a fuel pump, like the 1000 and 2000, so we are unable to use the extended fuel supply system.

Nice comments. I'm interested in the Yamaha 3000 w/boost.
Have you actually used the gen to power the 15,000 btu A/C in hot weather?
How did it do?
And what kind of fuel consumption did you see when the A/C was working hard?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Merv, I agree that the Honda EU 3000 is the absolute best of all choices ... as long as the 130lbs isn't a problem for the user. It has a very quiet purr and 3.5 gallons will go as long as 20 hours.

Terry, it's definitely hard to beat the flexibility of having two 2000s w/ an extended tank (4000 is enough to do whatever you want). The great thing about having two 2000s is that when you aren't running the A/C, you only need to run one. Those things are easy to handle.

For whatever reasons, I've found myself grabbing the Handi most frequently ... it's light and powerful enough for everything I might need to run. I like the integrated wheels and handles. BTW, you can use the same 2000 extended tank system with the Handi; however, you must place the extended tank higher than then generator and allow for gravity assistance.

I've tried lots of generators and there just isn't a perfect answer ... there are multiple right choices ... I just happen to think the 2400 isn't one of them for my particular situation.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
We have indeed used the EU 3000 to run the 15,000 a/c,we found it done the job quite good . As to fuel consumption ,we did not check with any accuracy . However we feel the consumption was not alarmingly high. We intend doing some accurate checks this summer , if summer ever gets here.

Merv
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MervM View Post
We have indeed used the EU 3000 to run the 15,000 a/c,we found it done the job quite good . As to fuel consumption ,we did not check with any accuracy . However we feel the consumption was not alarmingly high. We intend doing some accurate checks this summer , if summer ever gets here.

Merv
Thank You!
I'll try to send some warmer weather that way.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
OK, I'm a Gen noobee. That is, I have used the "brutes" for home storm backup and am very familiar with them technically (although I want more info on an inverter generator vs. the regular generators) , and like you have used electric sites mostly. My thought, is I like the idea of the 3 stage charging in my converter/charger for battery happiness reasons, so I would look to plug the gen in for AC power to the AS, rather than use the 12V feature on the Gen. I too, am trying to learn from the experienced on this subject and really don't know if I want a Gen for battery charging only, for A/C use, or somewhere in between. I would like to start more boondocking. Someday solar, but not until I am able to use AS extensively (retirement). by then solar will presumably be much less expensive. In the meantime....what generator to get?????
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote