Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Cool Generator powering A/C unit

We have to go to wedding next weekend where there will be no power. Wife wants to have the A/C to be working as it will be hot. I have a 3500 Honda Gen set that is 20 years old, model Em3500. It has a 25 amp 120v outlet on it. I plan on making a "dog bone" with a 25 amp twist connector to a 30 amp RV plug. A/C is a 13,500 Penguin. My gen set has an "auto" mode that has it running at an idle until load is detected, and then it goes to full rpm. Other mode is full rpm at all time. I am concerned that if the gen set is on "auto" mode, when the compressor cuts in it will cause a problem. Anybody had any experience with this set up? Thoughts? Thank you.

CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Your genset should be big enough to power your a/c unit. Normally you'd want at least a 3000watt model....with the modern ones that'd be an EU3000.

I have known guys to run theirs' with an EU2000, but they have a large start capacitor in the a/c unit to build up the "oomph" to turn it over.

So the question I'd have for you is: Do you have an extra large start capacitor that you put in? Or is it bone stock?

You won't want it to run on wide open all night long, as your a/c will probably cycle in and out. You might be fine as-is with a 3500 watt genset. I would think that you would be, if it works OK. But if you're worried about it, get a big capacitor for the a/c unit and wire it in.

Is your old 3500 a loud one? If so, are you camping out in the boonies away from other folks? A lot of people get mad if a "contractor generator" is running all night, that sounds like a Bell Huey hovering over the campground. But the inverter type generators that are really quiet you never hear anybody grumble about.

You'd probably be AOK to just run it on "eco" mode with your a/c as-is. But if you have time to put in a big start capacitor, I'd go for that.

Me, I've only got one EU2000i and the a/c is bone stock, so no a/c for me on the gennie. I meant to buy a second EU2000 with the parallel kit, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Best of luck,

- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Thanks for the quick reply. Won't run the unit all night as it usually cools down some after dark. If the trailer is cool, the Fantastic should be ok for the night time. The capacitors on the A/C are both new, but not the "hard start" type. Think I will try first with gen set in regular mode to see how things go. Will then try in auto. Whatever works, I guess I will go with. Just a thought, if I mixed some oil with the gas, I could fog for mosquitoes at the same time!!! Better leave that alone!!!
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
3500 Honda

We just rigged my son's SOB out with a Honda 3500, it works great. They are in California for vacation and it works great. He wanted the capability to have the trailer cooled down when they stopped for the night, or overnight in the WallyWorld parking lot if need be. His generator runs constant speed at 60 cycles, 115 volts. I'm not sure if it would work if the generator idled down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 31 013.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	217995   Click image for larger version

Name:	July 31 014.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	217996  

SStar is offline   Reply With Quote