Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Generator on propane

I'm thinking of getting a generator, and I'd like to know what others have learned about running it on propane.

We could use it while camping, but the primary use would be to give us some power during a tropical storm (Florida living!), when the electricity always goes out, enough to run some lights, a fan and the refrigerator in the house.

I have an eye on one of the 2,000-watt machines, but these don't seem to run very long on a tank of gasoline. I'd have to get up in the night to refill.

Will the generator run longer when converted to propane and hooked to a 30-pound tank?

I could get a 3,000-watt unit, so we could run the AC in the Bambi and sleep in there when power is lost to the house while also (if possible) running a cord from the generator to the home refrigerator.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Generator on propane

It is a matter of use vs. Convenience and weight. We live in the Florida Panhandle only two miles from the beach so storms are a big issue. After hurricane Ivan we added a 17 KW whole house generator for our home. Of course that unit cannot be moved so we carry a 2000 watt Honda loaded in the TV at all times. At only 50 pounds it is easy to deploy but depending on location I will leave it in the truck bed for running while charging batteries or using the AC. Yes the 2000 watt unit will start and run our 15000 btu Dometic because I installed the East Start into the AC.

If finances permit buy two Honda 2000 units that can be coupled together when you need more power. That will reduce the weight while camping yet give you more output when you need it for emergencies.

As to propane vs. gas I converted my Honda to a tri fuel carb several years ago. I do not notice the drop in power that many talk about. For storm use you can buy a 100 pound tank that will last several days. We normally get power within a week, but in Ivan it was 11 days. Propane is easier to store than gasoline...more stable. I scavenge old 20 pound tanks and turn them in to a Blue Rhino dealer for new, full tanks.

I’m certain you will get more technical posts regarding the fuel use. I just don’t have that info at hand.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I run my 3400W Champion dual-fuel inverter generator on propane. I connect it to the Airstream low pressure quick disconnect port. It runs at about one pound of propane per hour. Therefore, a standard 20# tank can pretty much power my Airstream for 24 hours depending on how much the AC runs. Here is a picture of my setup and description on how to make the connection. I rarely remove the generator from my truck. It’s a Champion model 100263 and is very quiet, especially when the tailgate is closed. Of course someone will say it’s loud. But is below the decibel requirement for use in national parks even before surrounding it in a pickup truck bed. No generator is truely quiet. I prefer my using my 400W solar installation and camping at over 6,000 feet for “air conditioning”.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote