Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
Generator no-go

Had to drop generator this past weekend to address the grounding strap on the back-under side. After bolting it back up in place I now have no power at all. Before it did have power to the fuel pump and once or twice to the starter. Just enough to try and turn over a couple times. I have already cleaned all of the connectors. It started to rain so I haven't been able to go back out and check the positive contacts at the generator. I remember some where on the forum pictures from under the hood with labels to everything. Any body know off hand where to find them? Any body ever have anything similar happen to them? Thanks.
rsr2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
Finally got the generator running last night. Seems that Onan grounds the unit to the generator stator housing, which is attached to the Underfloor housing kit that is welded to the frame. The starter in the parts manual shows a Spec A Cable (#8) that attaches to the bottom mounting flange of the starter. This generator set was rebuilt in June of 2010. Either they left it off or depended on the starter being grounded by being bolted to the housing. When I took the starter off there was just enough white "salty" looking corrosion on the mating flanges. Cleaned it up, put some red synthetic electrical grease on it added a #6 wire (had laying around the shop), put back in place and started right up. Now I am going to look for a sliding generator tray at a junk yard. Took 2 1/2 hrs to drop generator the first time. Only 20 minutes the second time. But there is no way to change plugs or do most anything else to the unit in place. Talked to RV dealer in town and they said it would have been at least a $500.00 job with all of the labor time tracing a bad ground down and generator in and out. By the way. I called the 800 number for Onan and it connects to to your local shop. The guy at the Onan shop helped me out for at least 30 minutes. He said that it would take at least a month to get my unit in to work on with National Drags (INDY) and other RV events here. Very good customer service.
rsr2216 is offline   Reply With Quote