Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Generator Newbie Questions.

Hi, I'm new to the generator owners group, so I have a few questions for those with experience. I bought a new Yamaha 2400 and it's first use will be in October at the Balloon Fiesta. Questions are for any size, color, or brand generator.

(1.) Where do you park your generator while camping? (a.) In front of your trailer. (b.) In back of your trailer. (c.) Street side. (d.) Curb side, under your main awning. (e.) In the bed of your truck.

(2.) How do you keep from loseing your generator? [thieves] (a.) Lock it to your trailer with a cable or chain. (b.) Bolt if down to truck bed. (c.) Tie your dog to it. (d.) Lock it inside of your tow vehicle or trailer every time you leave the area. (e.) Depend on neighbor or camp security to watch it for you. (f.) Leave it un-attended and take your chances.

(3.) How do you protect your generator from the elements? (a.) Set it on a cement slab. (b.) Use plywood Etc. as a base if you have to set it on soft dirt. (c.) Shade it with an umbrella or tent / tarp. (d.) Set it under your awning. (e.) Turn it off and cover it if it rains.

(4.) For those unfortunate to have lost their generators to thieves: (a.) How did it happen? (b.) Where did it happen? [camping/home] (c.) Was it locked? (d.) What measures have you made so this, hopefully, won't happen again?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We like to park our generators (Honda 2000s) as far from the Airstream as is practical when camped. We've left them out in the rain and running with no problems. Leaving them under the awning and running will most likely set off your CO2 detector as it did ours on one occasion. When not in use we lock ours inside of our TV or inside the trailer. Good luck and HAPPY TRAILS
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I park it front street side usually. It depends where I'm parked and where others are parked. It's nice to get it far away from where you are, but not if a neighbor now has to live with the noise. I learned this from being the recipient when I had a hybrid SOB.

By parking it there I lock it through the handles with a padlock and the AS safety chains. I know that will only slow them down, but I usually only need the generator at dog trials where everybody knows everybody.

I put the factory cover on it at night to keep dew and light stuff off it, a garbage bag if it's going to pour -NOT when it's running of course. I'm working on a solution for that.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I have enough cable lock to set the generators about 12 feet from the AS tongue. If they are too close you get a constant drone noise. Then I also hook up a couple of battery operated alarms. Screech terrribly loud if the pin is pulled. At night I have a portable motion sensor light on. Cover them with tarps when away.
Can't really leave them in the back of the truck as often one or the other of us is away running errands.
Bottom line though, if someone really wants your generator, they're gonna get it unless you've gone to extreme measures.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use one or two Honda 2000's. We treat security and position the same either way. We always run the generators near the tongue of the AS. I lock them to the trailer tongue with Master Python Cable Locks. If I do not consider it a high security situation, I generally string one cable lock through the generator handle(s) and through the tongue yoke. If I feel that more security is warranted, I tightly cinch a cable lock through the handle and around the belly of each generator. Then I take a third cable lock and run it through the belly cable on each generator, then lock it to the yoke. This way, simply cutting the generator handle won't do it; they will at least have to cut the cable.

As far as noise and weather protection is concerned, I put the control panel end of the Honda about half way under the rear end of the Suburban. This makes them less bothersome to anyone nearby, and protects the control panel from direct rain. We have a 25FB, so the Hondas are right outside our bedroom window. We like the hum; it's like having a white noise machine to lull you to sleeep. One night we were using a single Honda, and when it ran out of gas at 0530, we both woke up immediately since our white noise had stopped.

For really severe weather we got a children's pop up tent ($17 at Wal-Mart) that both the generators (we've named them Amos and Leon so that we can tell them apart for maintenance) will fit in and run. We've tried it out on a test run. It seems to work well with the flaps on the tent open for ventilation. We have not been in a severe weather situation with Amos and Leon in use yet, so I can't vouch for the tent idea in a field situiation.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have Yamaha 3000 inverter genset. I view its weight as a deterrent to theft. It stays in the bed of the pickup-tied down and locked in with a cable lock. I cover the genset with an old bbq cover when not in use, and if I'm in a questionable area, I stuff a couple bags of trash around it. At a casual glance the pickup is carrying trash. The last thing I'd buy is a fancy custom generator cover with the "Yamaha" logo on it!

I shut it off and cover it when it rains. If I needed to run it in the rain I'd use a tarp to make a temporary tent.

I have used it in like this for three years without incident. The generator is with me on outings/errands in the back of the pickup. It is not unattended at the campsite. My trash bag disguise system is quite believable to a casual observer.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
How we do it..

We also lock it up in the Burb and take it with us if we are going to be away for an extended period of time.

A small three person tent protects it in bad weather. The unit is grounded thru the tent floor with an 8" nail and flat washer, using two braided copper straps with an eyelet at both ends. The unit is placed off the tent floor on two 4"X2"s
Where we set it up depends on the surroundings and our neighbors. Always ask if the noise bothers them, and offer them an outlet if they would like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 087.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	65939   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 140.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	65940  

Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Keep my Honda 3000 about 20' away from back and in a portable shower inclosure to hide it. Keeps the rain off and still provides enough ventilation. Cabled to a tie down and covered in the back of the truck when not in use.
daanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Generators

Hey - See you at the balloon fiesta

At the fiesta, it's lots of RV's close together so it's important to know generators hours and etiquette. Keep it close and chained to your unit. Also tell your Airstream neighbors you have one and offer to share during the running hours. Put it away during the night or when you are not there.

This is a huge event and we are a small ( high quality ) Airstream community in a sea of RV's. This is a spectacular event.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What kind of oil are folks using in their generators. Can one use regular 10-W-30 automotive oil?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
What kind of oil are folks using in their generators. Can one use regular 10-W-30 automotive oil?
Yes. After breakin you could also use synthetic.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Cameron,

Got it home, broke it in with one tankfull gas, switched to Mobil One 10-40.
Converted over to LPG/petrol last season. Added an hour/tach when converted, total about 275hrs with no problems.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our Honda 1000 lives in the truck bed when not in use. When outside, it's running, so I'd hear it stop if someone tried to take it. We have a small plastic collapsible picnic table which serves as a rain shelter for it when necessary. The table fits nicely behind the front seat of the Tundra when it's not in use. I try to place it where it sends the least noise to neighbors. It's pretty quiet for a generator, but it's really loud at a campground, especially in a remote place.

I would like to find a short shore power cable for the generator since the long one supplied with the trailer must have some voltage drop. I could, I suppose, get the 12 v cable to directly attach it to the batteries. I'll have to see which costs less.

I like tpi's theory that a heavy generator is less likely to get stolen. I tried to take it, but it was too heavy for me. Next time, I'll ask my wife to steal it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
theft prevention

I used to dig a pit and place poison spears in the bottom, time consuming and was a pain to leave the campsite "better" than I found it.

Then I switched to the swinging mace thing, needs trees.

Now I just put a little sign on it in 4 different languages. "Feel lucky punk-Make my day".

Still have my H1000.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have a Yamaha 3000 and keep it in the front of the truck bed, that is where it stays all the time running or not running. If someone can brake into the back of the truck and drag all the junk out of the truck to get to the generator. and get it out of the truck before my dogs start barking and I get out of the trailer with my gun they can have it.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Cameron,

Got it home, broke it in with one tankfull gas, switched to Mobil One 10-40.
Converted over to LPG/petrol last season. Added an hour/tach when converted, total about 275hrs with no problems.
Did you have problems with the conversion? There's an active thread where one fellow seems to have had quite a chore with the conversion.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
I've got an 18 yr old Kawasaki 1400 that I bought from a friend (who hardly ever used it) for $300 about 10 yrs ago. It runs everything on my Safari except the A/C. It's pretty quiet and will run about 15 hours on one gallon of gas. I usually use a 100 foot 20 Ga extension cord and park the generator the full length of the cord away from the camp area...usually back in the trees somewhere. I used to use a cable lock it to lock it to a tree or in tight spaces to the wheel at the back of the triailer, but I don't mess with that anymore. As another AS'r stated in this thread...if it shuts off I'll hear it. And usually, when using the generator we are camping in an area that gives us some isolation. I've also found that most people in camp areas are pretty friendly and don't mess with other campers stuff. If we are in an RV park or similar campground we use the hook ups provided. I've downsized my generator over the years from a 5500 Craftsman to a 3500 Honda to the 1400 kawasaki as I got tired of lugging a 100 Lb plus generator around. My little 1400 handles like a suitcase. If I were to replace it though I'd get one of the newer Honda 2000 models.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I am looking to buy a generator for my 1974 24' argosy and i am wondering what is a good size to buy. I dont want to be under sized. I need to be able to run the new a/c i will be putting on. Any help would be great.
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

You will get a lot of opinions on this and I'm more than a little opinionated, but I would get two of these......

Great unit, easy to handle, quiet and you can parallel two for 4000 watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVESION EU200I 001.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	73405  
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think, mouth, that you have a lot of things to consider. How much can you lift? Best way to find out is to go to an RV store and see how heavy various generators are. Then think of where you keep the generator—probably in the back of a pickup if you have one (I wouldn't put a gas filled generator inside an SUV or the Airstream. If you don't have a pickup (and a way of making sure it won't be stolen—use either a camper top or a hard tonneau), I'm sure people will tell you it's ok to leave it in the back of the SUV. I'd think twice about that. Wherever you keep it, make sure you can keep it upright so it won't spill any gas. A pickup has U-bolts on the sides of the bed—I use a bungie cord and loop it through the generator handle. I cram it between other things so it can't fall over. Some people run it from the back of a truck so they won't have to lift it. A 2,000 w. generator is pretty heavy to lift in and out of a truck.

What do you want to use it for? To charge the batteries when boondocking? A 1,000 watt will do that. 2,000 watts will do it faster. You can link two like generators together to get 2,000 or 4,000 watts—two 2,000 watt generators with the link will cost more than $2,000. Do you want to run a microwave or a toaster? 2,000 watts will be best, but a 1,000 watt to small appliances (800 w. or less) hooked up directly to the generator through the door with a 10' extension cord should do it. Do you want to run an AC? That will require, probably, 2,500 watts.

If you don't plan on boondocking, or only for one or two nights, you can get by without a generator if you watch your battery charge closely and don't use much electricity.

What brand? Most use Honda or Yamaha. They are similar.

My solution was to buy a 1,000 w. when it was heavily discounted. I use it to recharge batteries and hope to make appliances run on it with an extension cord when I get around to it. I can always buy another 1,000 w. and the parallel kit if I need it. I will stay away from hot places if I go boondocking.

The better your batteries are, the less generator you need. Look for the best batteries you can fit in the battery box because there's a significant difference between batteries and how much charge they will hold.

Welcome to the Forum. There are many threads on generators and batteries and everything else.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote