Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have a Yamaha 3000 and keep it in the front of the truck bed, that is where it stays all the time running or not running. If someone can brake into the back of the truck and drag all the junk out of the truck to get to the generator. and get it out of the truck before my dogs start barking and I get out of the trailer with my gun they can have it.

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Got it home, broke it in with one tankfull gas, switched to Mobil One 10-40.
Converted over to LPG/petrol last season. Added an hour/tach when converted, total about 275hrs with no problems.
Did you have problems with the conversion? There's an active thread where one fellow seems to have had quite a chore with the conversion.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
I've got an 18 yr old Kawasaki 1400 that I bought from a friend (who hardly ever used it) for $300 about 10 yrs ago. It runs everything on my Safari except the A/C. It's pretty quiet and will run about 15 hours on one gallon of gas. I usually use a 100 foot 20 Ga extension cord and park the generator the full length of the cord away from the camp area...usually back in the trees somewhere. I used to use a cable lock it to lock it to a tree or in tight spaces to the wheel at the back of the triailer, but I don't mess with that anymore. As another AS'r stated in this thread...if it shuts off I'll hear it. And usually, when using the generator we are camping in an area that gives us some isolation. I've also found that most people in camp areas are pretty friendly and don't mess with other campers stuff. If we are in an RV park or similar campground we use the hook ups provided. I've downsized my generator over the years from a 5500 Craftsman to a 3500 Honda to the 1400 kawasaki as I got tired of lugging a 100 Lb plus generator around. My little 1400 handles like a suitcase. If I were to replace it though I'd get one of the newer Honda 2000 models.
'07 27 FB - H.A.
Brow324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I am looking to buy a generator for my 1974 24' argosy and i am wondering what is a good size to buy. I dont want to be under sized. I need to be able to run the new a/c i will be putting on. Any help would be great.
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

You will get a lot of opinions on this and I'm more than a little opinionated, but I would get two of these......

Great unit, easy to handle, quiet and you can parallel two for 4000 watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	73405  
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think, mouth, that you have a lot of things to consider. How much can you lift? Best way to find out is to go to an RV store and see how heavy various generators are. Then think of where you keep the generator—probably in the back of a pickup if you have one (I wouldn't put a gas filled generator inside an SUV or the Airstream. If you don't have a pickup (and a way of making sure it won't be stolen—use either a camper top or a hard tonneau), I'm sure people will tell you it's ok to leave it in the back of the SUV. I'd think twice about that. Wherever you keep it, make sure you can keep it upright so it won't spill any gas. A pickup has U-bolts on the sides of the bed—I use a bungie cord and loop it through the generator handle. I cram it between other things so it can't fall over. Some people run it from the back of a truck so they won't have to lift it. A 2,000 w. generator is pretty heavy to lift in and out of a truck.

What do you want to use it for? To charge the batteries when boondocking? A 1,000 watt will do that. 2,000 watts will do it faster. You can link two like generators together to get 2,000 or 4,000 watts—two 2,000 watt generators with the link will cost more than $2,000. Do you want to run a microwave or a toaster? 2,000 watts will be best, but a 1,000 watt to small appliances (800 w. or less) hooked up directly to the generator through the door with a 10' extension cord should do it. Do you want to run an AC? That will require, probably, 2,500 watts.

If you don't plan on boondocking, or only for one or two nights, you can get by without a generator if you watch your battery charge closely and don't use much electricity.

What brand? Most use Honda or Yamaha. They are similar.

My solution was to buy a 1,000 w. when it was heavily discounted. I use it to recharge batteries and hope to make appliances run on it with an extension cord when I get around to it. I can always buy another 1,000 w. and the parallel kit if I need it. I will stay away from hot places if I go boondocking.

The better your batteries are, the less generator you need. Look for the best batteries you can fit in the battery box because there's a significant difference between batteries and how much charge they will hold.

Welcome to the Forum. There are many threads on generators and batteries and everything else.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I had an older Honda 1000 that I bought from a friend who had moved up to a 2000. We used it for six or seven years to charge batteries and run our microwave and espresso maker, separately of course. Both items claim to draw 900w. The coffee maker took a little longer than at home, and the microwave was much slower than when hooked to "shore power". I'm sure it was hard on the microwave.

Just got a new EU2000 from Wise Equipment, no tax, no shipping. Great folks to deal with. Took it over to the trailer and tried the microwave. Works as good and fast as when hooked to shore power.

I think the EU2000 weighs a little less than the old, metal Honda 1000, and is much quieter. It's one of those "why did I wait so long to do this" things.

The only thing the 1000 had over the EU2000 is a gas gauge on the top. That was nice.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jim, did you plug the microwave directly into the 1000w. generator? Did you ever use the Honda at high altitude?

I haven't been able to use the microwave with a newer 1000w. Honda using by plugging the shore power cable into it and I've tried it at high altitude.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I solved all those probelms with one simple solution. I haul and store the generator in the bed of my truck with a fiberglass camper shell on it. To run the generator, I just open up the tailgate and slide the generator out onto the gate with the exhaust facing away from the truck. I also open the side windows on the camper shell as a safey precaution to avoid fumes building up. It keeps the generator secure, out of the weather, and even helps decrease the noise from the engine.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
It seems that many AS owners are very happy with the Honda brand of generator. We know of an individual selling a Coleman 4000 generator. I tried to research this on the internet and came up with a weight of 110 lbs. and noise level of 60 hertz.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct for weight and noise level? Does anyone have experience with this make and model of generator? I could keep this in the back of the truck (assuming I can get it up there) but I am concerned about the noise level. Any idea of the cost of a new Coleman 4000. We were quoted $650-ish by the seller when he purchased this new.

H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Hank, you will not be happy with the Coleman 4000 unless you are able to hide it away in a pit, far from your AS. It's very loud, and intended more for an industrial or construction site, not a friendly campground. The 60 hz. designation describes the alternating current frequency, not the decibel (db) sound level.

Look for a campground-specific unit. The most popular are the Hondas and the Yamahas. Happy (and quiet) streaming!

John and Lynn,
Silvia ('06 25' Safari SE FB) and Silvester ('05 Chevy Express 3500)
jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote