Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Madison , Indiana
Thank you folks! Off to buy a Honda EU2000i.
Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If your TV is an enclosed SUV and the Airstream frame will not support heavy stuff hanging of the backend above the bumper, where do you store two generator sets going down the road along with the extra gas can?

From reading the forums, it appears that most campsites that provide a power hookup have a 30 amp 120Vac connection. Some might have a 15 amp 120Vac connection.

I recently upgraded the factory converter from single stage to triple stage with DC filtering on all circuits (uses the factory enclosure and 120Vac panel). This gave me a golden opportunity to check out the wiring. When one sees the 120Vac and 12Vdc wiring schematic, there would be many reasons for a split bus to provide more flexibility. If one has both shore power and a gen set, then putting the A/C on the gen set and off the Airstream bus would allow for the refrigerator, water heater, converter and a coffee pot to operate at the same time time frame.

On our trailer, the A/C and water heater each have their own 120Vac circuit breakers. They could be candidates for possible circuit modification.

Just thinking....
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just to point out ... most campgrounds that have electric hookups usually do not allow generators... so splitting the power duties between shore power and a generator would not be a practical endeavor (assuming the circuits can be rewired to allow this)...

Even if a generator was allowed, a single 2000w generator is not enough to run the AC by itself ... and a two 2000w in parallel (or a 3000w generator) provides enough power to run an AC and everything else ... as does a campsite with a 30-amp shore power hookup...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
i purchased a external dual fuel system for my Honda 2000i generator and companion from here. The system works great.

Extended fuel systems/Generator Extender Fuel System -Dallas/Fortworth, TX
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Madison , Indiana
Best price for Honda EU 2000i?
Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Try Mayberry Sales...and Wise Power Equipment ....Speedway ... Northern Tool ... We got our 2nd one at Harbor Power House Honda at a pretty good price than shown online... (We bought our first at a local Honda motorcycle dealer who also sells gennies.)

I don't see any gongas on line right now but I think you can get better prices with free shipping than shown on their websites if you call...

Good luck.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So let me see if I get this right.

I have one honda eu2000. If I don't want to run the ac, I should be fine with that for boondocking. However, if I want to run my ac (or heat pump), I would need the companion unit. The companion unit has a 30amp receptacle and should connect with the cable I use to connect to 30amp service shore power only, I would connect it to the input at the front, not side of the trailer - yes?

Let's assume the generators are hooked up. Is that the equivalent of running shore power or, do I have to plug in things to the blue 12volt outlets?

Do I run the inverter at this point?

Last, people talk about the generators charging the batteries and running the ac. I know this is a dumb question, but do they do both at the same time or is there some "charge my batteries" switch I've missed at this point?

Thanks for your help!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I have one honda eu2000. If I don't want to run the ac, I should be fine with that for boondocking. However, if I want to run my ac (or heat pump), I would need the companion unit. The companion unit has a 30amp receptacle and should connect with the cable I use to connect to 30amp service shore power only, I would connect it to the input at the front, not side of the trailer - yes?

Let's assume the generators are hooked up. Is that the equivalent of running shore power or, do I have to plug in things to the blue 12volt outlets?

Last, people talk about the generators charging the batteries and running the ac. I know this is a dumb question, but do they do both at the same time or is there some "charge my batteries" switch I've missed at this point?

Thanks for your help!!

For the purpose at hand, the 30A socket on the Companion unit can be thought of just like a 30A shore power connection, except that you'll need an adapter to go from the twist-lock socket on the generator to the 30A RV plug on your trailer.

It doesn't really matter which of the connections you use (front or side) if your trailer is equipped with 2. The automatic transfer switch should handle that for you.

When you're running off the generator, the converter built into your trailer uses some of the 120v AC power coming in to convert to DC and charge your batteries. It's just like when you're plugged into shore power. The DC outlets on the generator are limited to low amperage and are really only practical if you need 12v DC power directly off the generator, you'll get better charging of the trailer battery from your trailer's converter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Thanks for your help!!
Sounds like y'all have it all figured out. 2 Honda 2000's are the same as shore power, basically. No need for the inverter, the batteries will charge.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks DKB and HiHo...so - no need to plug things in to the blue 12v outlets or engage the inverter? When would that be some - if literally just running on battery power? I would imagine I don't want to run the generators 24 hours a day - would I then be on battery power alone and have to use these other items?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Right, you only need the inverter when you're on battery power alone but want to run a 120v device that's within the capacity of your inverter, like the TV or a computer. I missed your original question about the inverter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX
Right, you only need the inverter when you're on battery power alone but want to run a 120v device that's within the capacity of your inverter, like the TV or a computer. I missed your original question about the inverter.
Got it. Thanks again!!