Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Generator Mounting Tray Installation on Travel Trailer

This is a thread showing how I’ve designed and installed a sliding mounting tray on my 1991 34’ Limited Trailer to accommodate a Yamaha EF3000iSEB inverter generator. I’ve wanted to do this project for about eight to ten years but other things like restoring the trailer (leak repair, floor rot, all kinds of mods and improvements) have had priority to the generator. However, I’ve had the fundamental design in my head all during the restoration project and I made several wiring provisions for the generator during the restoration, several years ago.

This is my first big welding project ever…I’ve done two or three smaller ones in the past year. I’m 67 now, and I didn’t really start learning to weld until I was about 64. I want to give a big shout-out to Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks and his videos that are available for free on YouTube. This man has been my teacher and I owe him a big debt of gratitude!

The design feature of the older limited trailers that allows a generator installation like this to be done is the fact that many of them have dual front jacks for stabilization and leveling in pitch rather than a tongue jack. The absence of the tongue jack and the fact that I have a Hensley Arrow hitch gave me enough room to install the generator and mounting tray. The weight of the mounting tray and generator with fuel is about 250 pounds. However, my trailer had a tongue weight of right at 800 pounds (loaded for travel) and the generator/tray brought the tongue weight up to around 1,050 (trailer weight loaded for a multi-week trip is 9,100 pounds now).

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The basic provision that I made in 2013 for the generator during restoration was to run a flexible conduit down the length of the left (roadside) frame rail along with a 10-2 with ground UF cable. I terminated the cable to a 30A RV electrical receptacle in the sewer hose storage tray in back and to a junction box under the couch in front. Then I ran a flexible/stranded 10/2 with ground cable long enough to reach the Hensley Hitch and terminated it with a 30A generator (male) plug which I sealed up in a heavy plastic bag and coiled and stowed for the future.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I started by removing the four metric nuts from the engine and generator mounts and replaced them with coupling nuts that I ordered from Fastenal (flat washers and blue Loctite™ also added). The coupling nuts will be used to bolt the generator to the base so it can’t be easily removed/stolen!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I made a mockup of the top portion of the sliding tray out of wood to check how the generator would fit in the tray and the general fit and appearance of a tray on the trailer. Note that the center is open to allow for oil draining and access to the bottom of the generator.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The design incorporates a stationary base that is bolted to the three preexisting tongue jack threads in the trailer coupler and is supplemented by two stabilizing bolts that screw into angle Iron that I welded onto the trailer A frame. The weight is born by the frame of the base and the welded base itself. All of the sheet metal is 1/8” thick and I have an internal doubler over the three bolt holes within the base as well as external (bottom) doublers welded to the underside of the base at the back.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The sliding tray has a gap in the floor to allow for oil changes, etc. while mounted on the trailer. I used a pair of heavy duty (450 pounds for the pair) slides that latch in the closed position (blue latches). The base can be unbolted from the trailer only when the full sliding tray is slid forward (more to come). I’ve also included a detail shot of the transverse square tubes that add rigidity where the generator will bolt to the tray in time.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Once all of the welding was done here’s what the sliding tray looks like with sides and the Master™ lock that is the key to theft prevention. Note, the sides, front and back deny access to the bottom side of the generator and form a skirt over the base denying access to the base itself.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
You may have noticed that my A frame and Hensley Hitch needed some tender loving care. Well, I felt bad about that too. So I disassembled everything that I could, inspected the hitch for wear and proper lubrication, etc. and prepped everything for an undercoat and topcoat of POR 15 products along with the generator tray itself. I also replaced the rusted safety chains while I was at it.

Note: the bottom picture shows everything after the metal has been wire brushed (twisted wire cup on a grinder), prepped with POR-15 metal conversion coating (changes iron oxide to a different chemical compound, I assume), rinsed and dried before applying POR-15 primer coat).

Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here are some pictures with everything painted and checking the clearance when turning. I’m also including a shot of my new Hensley labels including the Data Plate with Serial Number.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Now, it’s time to lift the generator onto the tray, and bolt it down!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I knew from the start that the propane bottle cover wouldn’t fit any longer with the generator in place so I figured out the radius that I needed for clearance to the back of the tray/generator from the top-mounted hinges and marked the cut line was marked with painter’s tape. Here comes the jig saw! I also created a forward bulkhead for the cover out of aluminum and attached it with some clips that I made and pop rivets.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here is how the trailer plugs into the generator when not on “shore power”.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I bought a Coleman™ gas grill cover that still needs some tailoring…good winter project.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I had mentioned oil changes. I made a notch in the right side of the tray assembly so that I could access the oil drain assembly with a socket and extension. Here’s the view from the top with a little funnel in lace and my drain can that I made with coat hanger wire hooks as seen from below.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Finally here’s a picture of the overall trailer and tow vehicle and a link to a YouTube video with the generator running.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
Excellent job of craftsmanship and picture documentation! I like the design, and the enthusiastic attitude you had while building it. Congrats on a job well done!
Kilo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Steve simply amazing! Enjoy your new welding career.
I am in the Teardown stage on my 1990 34' Limited so you have given me another project.
Very nice idea. I've wanted to do something similar for my Briggs and Stratton inverter generator. I also have my 23' Flying Cloud I need to find a way of installing a generator tray.
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Cazual, Richard and Thomas,
Thanks very much for the kind remarks. I did have fun with the project! Sometimes there is self-doubt with a project like this. But the experience, including overcoming obstacles, helps to build confidence.

All my best,

Steve
Old 01-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Steve simply amazing! Enjoy your new welding career.
I am in the Teardown stage on my 1990 34' Limited so you have given me another project.
Very nice idea. I've wanted to do something similar for my Briggs and Stratton inverter generator. I also have my 23' Flying Cloud I need to find a way of installing a generator tray.
Thomas
Thomas,
Perhaps some of the other threads that I've started here at AirForums will be of help to you on restoration of your 1990 Limited. Go to Advanced Search and type in Steve Bryant in the User Name Box. Then select "Find Threads Started by User" from the pull down menu beneath the User Name Box. Then, click Search Now. Our trailers are virtually identical and you may get a jump start. Feel free to send me a PM if desired.

Regards,

Steve