Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Generator: Just learning.

I bought a Honda 3000is generator today. Have been out of electricity for over 3 days becasuse of the snow knocked out our power in our home. So we lived in the Airstream for warmth. Furnace never stopped blowing. My batteries did well. They lasted about the whole time. Had to plug up my truck and remote start it for power in the latter stages just to make sure I wouldn't lose all power.<lights were getting dim>

So was on the way to the store to buy a generator and the neighbor called and said the power was back on. I went ahead and bought one anyway. I'm gonna use it to boondock, so it was a smart purchase in the long run, I think. It only has 24.7 amps. What will be my restrictions? Like no A/C and microwave<convection> at the same time. But otherwise I should be ok, right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Nashville , Tennessee
We have the same generator, and it will run everything in the trailer. Our trailer has a switch in the cabinet over the kitchen sink that will allow powering either the air conditioner or the microwave, but not both at the same time. This may tell you something.

That said, if I run the air conditioner, the eco-throttle must be off. Eco-throttle allows the engine RPM to remain low until there is electrical demand that requires a higher RPM. The problem is that the air conditioner compressor has a high enough inrush current, that the engine doesn't have enough time to increase the RPM before an overload occurs, and it trips off. The fix is to simply switch the eco-throttle off when running the AC. The idle speed will be increased, and it will be a little louder, but the generator has no problem running it.

If you are using the generator to power the converter/charger to top off the batteries, you can leave the eco-throttle on. You can just barely hear it in the trailer, with the windows closed.

I mostly use mine to keep the batteries up when boondocking. If I was to do it over, I'd opt for two 2000 watt units and the parallel kit. Not because we need 4000 watts, but because the 2000 is much smaller. The 3000is is too large to manhandle by myself.

I'm very happy with the performance and low noise level of the 3000is.
jimb757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
30A usually is mentioned as the required level to run the A/C -- an easy statement to make since 15A, 20A & 30A are common outlet sizes. Mention 30A to an electrician and they may naturally thin 240V ... NOT! The A/C is 120V.

But the most common figure I've heard is that the compressor will draw in the neighborhood of 22-23 volts. This post is a most excellent perspective -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...tml#post648436

So ... you are right. Just don't use the A/C and microwave at the same time.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

But the most common figure I've heard is that the compressor will draw in the neighborhood of 22-23 volts.

You really meant 22-23 amps didn't you Bob?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb757 View Post
If I was to do it over, I'd opt for two 2000 watt units and the parallel kit. Not because we need 4000 watts, but because the 2000 is much smaller. The 3000is is too large to manhandle by myself.
This has been the ony negative feature of the 3000i that anyone has mentioned.
Having 2 2000i's also gives you the option of only running one if you don't need the 4000w. And running two 2000's doesn't double the noise level, decible levels remain the same.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
We are looking at the Honda 3000 Handi. Do you think 2 2000 would be wiser? Thanks Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo&Susan View Post
We are looking at the Honda 3000 Handi. Do you think 2 2000 would be wiser? Thanks Susan
YES

but really it depends on issues...

lots of threads on these issues here are the most useful to begin with...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-13986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0is-57897.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-19725.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...000-50043.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-39684.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...sed-33874.html

and last but not least...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-44248.html

good luck with your choice AT LEAST u r asking the question beFORE buying one...

the "3k handi" is a new model/last year and VERY nicely packaged with wheelz and handle...

but i'd still opt for 2x2000 in most situations...

and the newest 2000 model (companion) no longer needs the 'parallel kit' to be 2x connected.

a simple 2 wire set is ALL that's needed (about 30 $) and there's a 30 amp plug ON the genset...

nice!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Thanks! that really helps, Bo and I will look over them all tomorrow. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I went with a second 2000 companion

I had the 2000 originally and went back and forth for a whole season what to do?
I finally decided on the second 2000 companion, due to the additional power when coupled, as well as the weight consideration.

In reality the weight issue was a big factor for me since at 70+ pounds for the 3000 Handi it's still a big package to more in and out of the vehicle alone.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #10

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Champaign , Illinois
We have a 3000is and, yes it is too heavy to lift more than once during a trip. Is it okay to leave it in the very back of our GMC Yukon XL with the rear gate window open while using it? The height of the 3000is exhaust is above the rear gate of the SUV so the exhaust goes out the window when open. Of course we don't intend to use the generator when in, or driving the SUV, just while camping. Thanks for your help... Dennis
dfpotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I'd be leary of getting a residual exhust smell in the vehicle.

Maybe a tarp behind the generator to block any chance of fumes getting in?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
dfpotten.........For years, have been using the 3k Honda both in and out of the TV. We have a camper shell and when in camp for an overnighter we just open up the back and fire it up. NO PROBLEMS......In your case though, golly just depends on how much you value your interior. What do you do on rainy muggy days when you need the power for the AC in the trailer but hesitate to close that window to protect the interior?......If there for a few days we, my wife and I, tote that heavy mother where it needs to go and get on with life. To much sometimes is made out of just doing it.....GET IT DONE........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Our rainy day solution...

Three person tent from CW..

Handy place to store extra stuff too...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Generator

We use the Honda 3000 and have it chained in the back of our pick up TV. We leave it there for most of the traveling season as it is very heavy. When we use it we just fold back the cover of the bed about 1/4 way. It powers all of our 65 Safari including the AC. We love the electric start which accounts for a bunch of it's weight. I like that it will run my AC even while direct charging a deep cycle battery. We don't use a microwave so that is not an issue for us. If our TV was not a pickup then I would consider two 2000 Hondas.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #15

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Champaign , Illinois
Unhappy Disabled folks can't always simply "get it done"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
my wife and I, tote that heavy mother where it needs to go and get on with life. To much sometimes is made out of just doing it.....GET IT DONE........Dennis
Thanks for your insight DKDarrow, however I'm physically disabled and as much as I'd like to "get it done" as you suggested, I'm unable! It's often missed on those with disabilities that we try not to make an issue out of not being able to do something, we don't complain, we simply find other means to get by. It's nice to think about that when responding to others challenges.
dfpotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfpotten View Post
Thanks for your insight DKDarrow, however I'm physically disabled and as much as I'd like to "get it done" as you suggested, I'm unable! It's often missed on those with disabilities that we try not to make an issue out of not being able to do something, we don't complain, we simply find other means to get by. It's nice to think about that when responding to others challenges.
Quote:
We have a 3000is and, yes it is too heavy to lift more than once during a trip. Is it okay to leave it in the very back of our GMC Yukon XL with the rear gate window open while using it? The height of the 3000is exhaust is above the rear gate of the SUV so the exhaust goes out the window when open. Of course we don't intend to use the generator when in, or driving the SUV, just while camping. Thanks for your help... Dennis
Hi Dennis, I don't think that DKDarrow meant any disrespect by what was posted. Looking at your original post there is no way that DKDarrow could have known that you have any physical limitations. I find it best to post as much information about your situation as you can. Without all the information the community is left with assumptions while trying to answer the question to the best of there ability.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
_

. , .
df'

first off WELCOME to this big messy place!

there is an annual rally the 2nd? weekend of june nearby your hood, just SOUTHEAST of normal...

i refer to this as the SUBnormal rally at moraine view/leroy.

nice people, good time and food (but lousy water)

check it out!
________

you posed a VERY general "is it ok?" question.

with virtually NO background info, or certainly not much.

"is it ok" yes.

"is it NOT ok" yes.

depends on what OK means.
_______

now (just guessing) IF the specific question behind "is it ok" was...

"what are the hazards or issues or consequences of running a generator INSIDE a passenger vehicle,
even with the tail gate and windows open?"...

the answers MIGHT be more detailed.

it would seem the persistent SMELL of gasoline and combustion would be a negative,

along with the need to disconnect and stabilize the genset EVERY time the tv is needed for shopping or bopping around.

there is obviously the possiblity of LEAKS (the gensets have a fuel tube on the bottom) which leads to the risk of...

fire.

even ADDING gasoline can be messy INSIDE a passenger vehicle.

---this list could be expanded INFINITELY by others...

all or NONE of which factors into the "OK" equation.
_______

RAMPs are available to assist with loading/unloading,

and there are many posts/threads on using ramps, here is one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...000-39653.html

there are many pictures of HOW folks wrestle the 3k units in the LONG threads comparing 2k, 3k and paralleled gensets...

one could also install a SLIDER TRAY in the back of the suv,

so that the unit could be ROLLED out for use and the tv interior LESS exposed.

the debate is UNending about how much juice is 'needed' and this is 1 of many threads that goes there...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-45200.html

ultimately owners decided how much juice is "ok" and how often replacing burned out appliances is "ok" and so on.

you might benefit from having the 3k mounted ON the stream, that is more OK in some ways and for some owners...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ion-30513.html

the location showed in post 2 above has worked well for this owner for a long time.

several other threads show creative ways/locations for mounting a 3k or 2x2k gensets...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...mbi-13142.html

which gets back to the 'which genset or combination is best for any given situation'...

loading/unloading 2000 sized units is easier and 2x2000 is MORE ok for powering the AC in virtually every case.

so perhaps IF you plan a LOT of use and don't wanna sort out loading with ramps or other options...

consider selling and trying 2x2000 this summer.

given a BIT more detail, u might wanna start a thread on HOW someone with a specific or general disabilities "gets it done" while rving...

here's a short one but NOT many solutions were posted...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...led-32047.html

i know many 'streamers with health issues or physical challenges that have really creative strategies or tweaks to the stream...

it would be nice to see a good thread devoted to those issues and solutions.

visit the 'genset/solar' subforum and scan/read some of the LONGER older threads.

there are LOTS of great posts and very detailed info which is VERY useful in those threads...

here are just 3 to get u rolling...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-13986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0-a-19725.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-39684.html

keep reading, keep thinking and find places to ask your UNanswered questions...

just don't expect the answers to anticipate EVERY personalized issue.

and with more background details shared, there is better potential for targeted answers.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
DFPOTTEN..........Obviously, I have offended you and hurt your feelings for not recognizing that YOU are disabled physically in some manner. I am truly sorry for comments that have hurt you or bothered you. As an old 100% disabled veteran that often times has troubles walking or even picking up my coffee cup, my spirit goes out to you. Also, as an educator paying particular attention to developing skills with mobility challenged individuals was one of my specialties...............

At any rate, I truly did NOT understand nor was I aware that you have physical problems that can cause you to not be able to accomplish desired tasks...........God bless.......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote