Name:	keep-calm-engaging-dilithium-crystals.png
Views:	60
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	233354  

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Here's what I've ordered for my new TV - a Highway Products "Pickup Pak" and Roller Coaster bed. More secure than a fiberglass cap or tonneau cover, bigger and more convenient than a tool box. The roller coaster comes in 2k# and 4k# weight limits and has stops every foot - so you can put your heavyweight items forward of the rear wheels for better weight distribution and then easily pull out the coaster to get access without having to unload everything and crawl in. My configuration is two long side boxes (8' box) and the 4' dome lid in the middle, which will give me 10" clearance above the top of my truck bed. Of all the possibilities I looked at for my TV ('15 Ram 3500 Crew Cab), including consideration of a utility box, I liked what these guys had. They should be here this week - I'll post pics when installed.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Sorry - I'll do it this time with the link...

SERVICE TRUCK BODIES | TRUCK BEDS | CUSTOM TRUCK BODIES | UTILITY BODY
Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
*4" dome, not 4' dome. Geesh...
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Two plans, or ideas.

Hi, my plan is to mount my Yamaha 2400 in the back of my bed and connect it to my trailer so I can run it while driving. I want to be able to run my Microwave at rest stops, or run my air conditioner on hot days to keep my trailer cool until I have my full hook ups. I have a Retrax Pro roll up bed cover and plan to roll it behind the generator so it will get plenty of cooling air.

My other idea that I was serious about doing, was to remove your spare tire and mount an Onan 4K in it's place and tap into the truck's gas tank.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #48
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
My other idea that I was serious about doing, was to remove your spare tire and mount an Onan 4K in it's place and tap into the truck's gas tank.
If you tap into your gas tank, make sure the generator draws from about the 1/4 tank level. You'll need to have more than a quarter tank to run the generator, but at least your genny can't run the tank completely dry and leave to stranded. You'll always have at least a quarter tank to get you down the road to a service station.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
Here's what I've ordered for my new TV - a Highway Products "Pickup Pak" and Roller Coaster bed.
This is it. I knew someone on this forum would find the answer. Thanks very much. This is exactly what I am looking for. Splits the difference between a tonneau cover and topper with a bed slide to boot.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Ok I think I found the solution check out Recreational Vehicles | Cummins Power Systems, LLC

Look at the RV generators. They have a few the will do what you want.

Although you will have to make a hole for the exhaust pipe.
Hmmm... got a feeling OP is not going to like that one, either.

I don't suppose you would want to change truck beds. One of those contractor's truck beds might have everything you need. You would have lockable storage, available from the outside for just about anything you could want, plus open space in the middle that could have a tonneau cover if you like.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
Tip the generator so it is resting against the side of the truck bed and lower than the tonneau cover, but not so low that the gas drains out of the generator. Lash it down good and tight and hit the road!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just an observation:

The "Pickup Pack" looks very interesting, but the price is approximately double that of most bed caps. Just guessing, but the bed slide is probably what accounts for part of the higher price.

For our camping needs, a bed cap offers more usable covered space at a lower cost. However, the Pickup Pack appears to be a heavy-duty commercial product that mostly likely is very durable.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
On the setup I got, which was two 8' side boxes, 4" dome lid, hex-screen headache rack, rear lumber rack (to haul canoe, or lumber :-) ) and roller coaster bed slide, the bed slide was $1279 and $3874 for all of the other components. It was less than half the cost of most utility beds I priced, plus, going with a cab and chassis to take the UB cost $3000 more than getting the $3500 Laramie pickup - so I got the security and convenience of a large "stow and tow" for $8000 less than going with C&C/UB combo. The PUP should be in tomorrow - happy camper!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Lifetime guarantee on the Highway Products line.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Since the OP is rejecting every sensible suggestion for some reason, all that's left are off-the-wall suggestions. Mounting a generator to crossbars would require careful engineering in order to be done safely, but it's not automatically unsafe.

What have you been smoking? Of course, you must have been joking and I didn't see that.

Short of rebuilding / re-engineering the entire rear of the truck (be realistic and think this through ...did you really say that), it would be very unsafe!
Tell your suggestions / words again to the survivors after a crash or any serious hard maneuvering. In the scope of the OPs question, your answer is ridiculous and I stand by my comment...UNSAFE at any speed (kind of catchy - ought to be a book title) My opinion is as valid as yours. YMMV

As for a bedslide, ours raises the floor about 4 inches ... choose a different generator or succumb to a topper. Not sure that the OP can fit a 4500kw gen in the back of any fullsize trucks ... a 4.5kw, perhaps... LOL.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #56
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
In the scope of the OPs question, your answer is ridiculous and I stand by my comment...
"Ridiculous" is an awfully strong word. But it's not worth my time to design the mount myself and provide you with the design calculations for you to confirm or refute them.

Instead I'll simply point out that there are plenty of "headache rack" designs on the road that allow loads to be carried on a pickup truck higher than the CAB, let alone higher than the bed rails, so my idea had precedents. The Yamaha 4500w generator (I'm sure 4500kW was a typo, and I read it as such) cited by the OP only weighs 194 pounds. For a vehicle with a GVWR of over 8000 pounds, the generator weight, even if mounted slightly above the pickup bed rails, would not seriously affect rollover stability. It would have to be secured against being thrown forward in the event of a collision, of course, but that's true for any pickup bed cargo that could be thrown against the cab.

Not that it matters. The OP didn't even think enough of the idea to even notice, let alone accept or reject it. It's a moot point.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote