Well there's an option and blue too

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Easy response ...keep your current TV, don't cut a hole in the box ... and get a topper - save all the headache!

We ditched the Twin EU200s and replaced with an electric start gen mounted in our box ... quieter and more efficient; we have never looked back - now just looking for the remote start / stop. Is this roughing it for boondocking or what!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I think I would consider a topper if I were you.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #32
texastex

1984 34' Excella
GARLAND , Texas
I assume the generator does not have a wheel and leg kit or skids that can be removed? My 4000 watt generator just barely fits maybe a quarter inch clearance under my diamondback aluminum cover. I had to take off wheels even the rubber pads and I cut my plastic bedliner for the footprint so it would fit. It's real handy to have when I'm boondocking or at truck stops overnight.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
I didn't want to go with the two 2000's because I want electric remote start. I don't want to go with a topper either. I will keep looking.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Pretty drastic but can you gain enough by cutting off the handles and removing the wheels? Not my choice but it might work. Peace jim
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I suppose you could put a couple of crossbars ABOVE the rollback tonneau cover and mount the generator on the crossbars. Then you could either put the generator in a weather-resistant enclosure or cover it in some other way. That would also maximize the storage space under the tonneau.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I suppose you could put a couple of crossbars ABOVE the rollback tonneau cover and mount the generator on the crossbars. Then you could either put the generator in a weather-resistant enclosure or cover it in some other way. That would also maximize the storage space under the tonneau.
Two words .... VERY unsafe.
YMMV IMHO.
The OP is looking to do something that none of the rest of us have had any success with ... good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I understand your love for the blue, I prefer it, also.

I have seen fiberglass tonneau covers that are 6 to 8 inches taller than the box, about as high as the bottom of the rear window.
They lock down, and hinge from the front. They have struts to hold them up so you can get stuff out of the box.

Unfortunately, I don't know who makes them. Perhaps Google can find them for you.

BTW, I have a friend whose brother has a concrete company. They have a bunch of Honda 3000 s on their maintenance trucks. They used to have them bolted down, but still kept having them stolen. Now they weld them to the truck bed.

I keep my Yamaha 2800 out of sight under the tonneau, but it doesn't have electic start.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Two words .... VERY unsafe.
YMMV IMHO.
The OP is looking to do something that none of the rest of us have had any success with ... good luck.
Since the OP is rejecting every sensible suggestion for some reason, all that's left are off-the-wall suggestions. Mounting a generator to crossbars would require careful engineering in order to be done safely, but it's not automatically unsafe.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor

Original post:

"I would like to go with a Yamaha 4500kw generator and carry it in my pickup truck bed. The problem I have is I want to put it under a tonneau cover but it is about 6 inches taller than the bed sides. Any suggestions how I could make this work so the generator would be protected from rain and theft?"

==========

It appears the root problem is that the Yamaha 4,500W generator is too large to fit under the OP's tonneau cover. Even so, most suggestions offered (and rejected) seem to be centered around somehow squeezing that specific generator into a box that is too small.

In addition, the OP is resistant to considering smaller generators that can be paralleled; apparently, because they don't provide enough power, or the color is wrong.

I think I have found the solution (which I suspect many of you may have also considered): A Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor -- Ready to process household waste into 1.21 jigawatts of energy!

This unit comes in neutral black and white, with a striking, fire-engine-red locking handle to securely seal radiation safely inside the fusion chamber during fuel conversion. At a compact 18 inches tall, the Mr. Fusion Reactor will easily fit under nearly all tonneau covers. Or, mount it atop the external battery box on your Airstream to be the envy of all SOBs and boondockers. Plus, you'll have enough excess power to light up the entire campground, AND any nearby cities.

Available later this spring, $399.99 (plus shipping).

==========

Sorry, I couldn't resist after seeing the release of this Back to the Future replica... No offense intended; I apologize if the above is taken the wrong way (i.e., other than as amusing reading).

Seriously, from the suggestions that others have offered, there appear to be only a couple of reasonable alternatives:
  • Select a single generator with dimensions that will fit under your tonneau cover, and adjust your power needs to fit the wattage available.

• Purchase two smaller generators that will fit, and will provide enough power to meet your needs when connected in parallel.

• Buy a bed cap (camper shell).

• Buy a tarp, some chain and a big padlock.

• Somehow, raise your tonneau cover 6 inches or more in height.

If none of these alternatives are acceptable, then I'm not sure what other viable options are available. I, for one, am stumped...
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Oklahoma
I like the fusion reactor idea! Could fuel his vehicle as well. Save a lot of fuel costs. Think I'll get one too! 😄😄😄

-Wes-
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
generator in the truck problem

I would like to go with a Yamaha 4500kw generator and carry it in my pickup truck bed. The problem I have is I want to put it under a tonneau cover but it is about 6 inches taller than the bed sides. Any suggestions how I could make this work so the generator would be protected from rain and theft?[/QUOTE]

Whatever you end up doing remember that the generator will produce a lot of a lot of hot exhaust in the summer if you are running air in the trailer.

Don't confine all that heat in a small space especially with a tonneau cover.

I use a 2400 Watt Yamaha which I place in bed of the truck (with a cap) Sometimes I put a fan in the truck to force the heat out of the truck bed.

I can move that machine around and place it on the tailgate ,chained of course, if it isn't raining. I would assume moving your generator might be a bit heavy to move easily. Wolf146
Old 02-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Ok I think I found the solution check out Recreational Vehicles | Cummins Power Systems, LLC

Look at the RV generators. They have a few the will do what you want.

Although you will have to make a hole for the exhaust pipe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf csm120060_rv_fullline_broch_updatespreads.pdf (1.11 MB, 57 views)

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote